5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY Life Changing: Use a Scientific Method to see!
I would give the book 3.5 MILLION Stars if I could. The knowledge presented in this book have transformed and completely changed my life. Before you read this please note:
this book is NOT about religion.
1) Pick an area of your life that you want to change.
2) Use the scientific, specific methods described in this book
3) SEE THE RESULTS WITH YOUR...
Published on February 19, 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Good - But lacks details
Most of this book is a group of stories of people who've had success using their "subconscious" to achieve their desired results. It is NOT a step-by-step guide on how to use the principles of the people discussed in this book, although there is a high-level discussion on how to use the principals throughout the book. It's a long book, and I found myself expecting to find...
Published on January 4, 2007 by B. Wampler

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY Life Changing: Use a Scientific Method to see!, February 19, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Power of Your Subconscious Mind (Mass Market Paperback)
this book is NOT about religion.
1) Pick an area of your life that you want to change.
2) Use the scientific, specific methods described in this book
3) SEE THE RESULTS WITH YOUR OWN EYES.
IMPORTANT POINT: You MUST suspend all doubt and have FAITH for it to work (JM show you how).
Another point: although spirituality and religion are closely related, you do NOT have to be a churchgoing Christian to enjoy the divine benefits of the truths presented here. Even if you are an atheist, I think this book especially will work for you. Why? Because you are less tied to traditional dogma. Once you see the changes in your life that occur through these teachings you doubtless will change your views on a "Higher Power", but that is between you and the One who made you.
NOTE TO OPEN-MINDED PEOPLE: I think that in today's world, people don't want to be told "just take what I tell you as fact". In other words, if you are an intelligent, open-minded person, you want SCIENTIFIC proof (i.e. a method, a hypothesis, observed cause, effect, results). Well in our modern times, we seem to believe that our rational side is more important than our spiritual, intuitive side. What I'm saying here is this book shows you the bower of both!
Now, you might be saying to yourself "I've been told all my life just have faith or just believe...". Well this books shows you a scientific method for developing faith and belief.
Whenever you have doubts, fear, worry, anxiety, etc. pop up use JM's techniques, "God/Infinite Intelligence/The Principle of Good in the World (whatever you want to call it, it really doesn't matter one damned bit!) loves me, therefore wants the best for me".
Or
"The Power in me that gave me this desire is the power that is fulfilling it".
This book shows you that as long as your desires 1)follow the golden rule, 2)the law of love and above all that 3)you BELIEVE, there is nothing absolutely nothing in this life you cannot attain. The teachings presented in this book show the utter tragedy of life: we limit ourselves, God, the universe, etc. doesn't. He has demonstrated this and God bless him forever and a 10 days for being the instrument through which these internal truths were brought to light to me and to the world.
Don't let the filthy, disgusting, vile thieves into your temple of: doubt, worry, feelings of unworthiness, anxiety, fear. Kicks them out of your life forever!!
What do you have to loose? Now if you are like me, you feel that "seeing is believing", so let me share my experiences using the methods, truths, knowledge, etc. as outlined in this book.
Some time ago, I found myself living in a crappy apartment in New York city, with a crappy job. You could see the trash on the streets, the loud neighbors, the totally hopeless co-workers I worked with. However, I had better visions for myself.
I envisioned myself living splendidly on another continent, enjoying wonderful social engagements, meeting the worlds best and brightest. I'm talking great dinner parties, art museums, cruises, clean air and water, a closer relationship with God/Higher self, etc.
Using JM's techniques, I envisioned myself meeting a Nobel Prize winner, and seeing the sun set while on the decks of a cruise ship to wonderful parts of Europe. I also saw myself in the lecture halls of a very prestigious university.
Keep in mind that at the time that vision was as far away from my present material reality as humanly possible (anyone who knows what a cramped New York city apartment looks like can identify).
I envisioned myself there, I BELIEVED in this vision, I held on it it. Time went one. One day, about 2pm on a Thursday, I looked around my desk at work and I said, "THIS IS IT!!" I had broken up with my partner, I hated my job, I had had enough. I turned to the infinite power within me and everything happened so effortlessly, it seems almost unfair the changes that that rolled into my life happened so easily. I quite my job. I booked a flight. I moved to another country. The day I arrived I had no apartment. About 23 hours later, the power of my subconscious (i.e. my Higher Self), found me an apartment. I was admitted to a prestigious university, for which I am pay NOT ONE RED SENT IN TUTION!!
IT WORKS, IT WORKS, IT WORKS, IT WORKS, IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now the last bit. It was my dream to meet a Nobel Prize winner; I accomplished that. Further, I am about to spend the rest of my life with an amazing partner I attracted, am leaner and healthier than I have been in years, have traveled to so many wonderful locales, am about to close some amazing lucrative business deals.
Folks, from the bottom of my heart, I'll say this: I'm not special. Neither is anyone else who has written a review and testified to how their life has been changed. Though I would love to, neither am I receiving any monetary compensation for recommending this book ( :) ).
The investment of a couple of dollars for this book is so cheap compared to the payoff. You can change your life. Even if you have $10,000,000 in the bank, a beautiful wife/husband, are in perfect health, etc., if there is ONE area in your life that just won't budge, you just can't seem to get it right, this book will provide the solution.
I am making a life commitment to giving all of the special people I know this book. Unfortunately, most people will probably never see their lives changed through the truths presented here. YOU CAN BE DIFFERENT. Break through mass hypnosis, negative thinking, and those thieves of lack, limitation, worry, doubt, loss, fear and anxiety that rob people of their highest potential and of living the life of their wildest dreams. The Universe wants you happy! You deserve to be happy.
God knows, I pray that everyone reading this post gets this book, applies the principles and sees their lives changed. The only thing that I ask (and I'm sure Dr. Murphy would to) is that you pass on the good word. You don't have to buy the book to do this--eternal truths are eternal truths. Once you have applied the teachings in this book, just share the good news and let's all make this world a better place.
I wish a life of happiness, abundance, joy, peace of mind and right action to anyone who reads this. Have a wonderful life--YOU DESERVE IT!!!
A spiritually and materially content reader....

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works If you Use It Correctly, October 29, 2004
Having received bunch of emails from people who have read this book, but still had difficulty applying the principles in this, I felt compelled to share few ideas.

First, the principles in this book are correct and they work if you apply them. The book is about using the power of your subconscious mind. As I read over some previous reviews here, I noticed that some people stumbled upon the language and pointed out that one should read "As A Man Thinketh" (yes, it is a good book to read), and made a reference to "as you think in your HEART" - not mind. Another name for the SUBCONSCIOUS is HEART of the MIND, because SUBCONSCIOUS MIND is the REALM OF EMOTIONS.

Some people also erroneously think that the subconscius mind is in one's head, it isn't. It is not even confined to your physical body, but permeates it. Your physical body is IN your MIND. Another way to describe the subconscious may be to refer to it as your "energy field" (that may be somewhat more modern "language"). Do not get stuck to words and labels, though. They are merely useful to help describe things - they are not the experience itself.

To use self-hypnosis successfully, to use the power of your mind successfully, it is not enough to just repeat the words mechanically (although, with a lot of repetition, they too will be impressed upon your subconscious mind), but you must also use your feelings - EXPERIENCING the outcome you desire AS IF it were REAL for you now - subjectively.

The term subconscious mind is used to refer to your own individual storehouse of knowledge and memories. The term "superconscious", or "universal mind", "God", and sometimes in hypnosis the term "unconscious" are used to refer to the infinite storehouse of knowledge, which you access through your subconscious mind.

There is ONLY ONE Mind, but for the convenience we have divided it linguistically into three minds, according to its functions - conscious, subconscious and superconscious. You can imagine that there is one door standing between your conscious and subconscious mind and another between your subconscious and superconscious. You access both your subconscious and superconscious by getting the critical faculty of your conscious mind out of the way and the easiest way to do this is by fully engaging your imagination and your emotions.

Because you access your subconscious and superconscious mind in the same way, people sometimes just use the term "subconscious" to refer to both functions. Instead of using the world superconscious, Murphy sometimes uses he word "God" - which I like, but some people feel very uncomfortable with due to their religious upbringing or lack of understanding and direct experience (A Course in Miracles is one books that may help in that respect).

Your conscious mind is that part of your mind that judges things and contemplates whether you can or cannot do something. It compares things and when you attempt to use your conscius mind and work on some goal, it may pop up with all the reasons why something may not be possible for you to do. Your subconscious mind goes for DIRECT EXPERIENCE. It doesn't judge whether something is possible or impossible, good or bad - it merely ACCEPTS as true and real whatever you EXPERIENCE as REAL subjectively.

When you pick a goal to work on with your subconscious, make sure that it is something that is BELIEVABLE to you. Whatever ideas you desire to impress upon your subconscious mind will work in conjunction with that which is already in your subconcious mind - so if the ideas and beliefs which are currently in your subconscious are in conflict with your desired goal, it will take you a long time to experience the desired results. If you begin with things you are willing to accept as possible for you, you'll get much faster results and you'll also condition your mind for success and to the world of many new wonderful possibilities.

Also, keep in mind, that you are in one way or another programming your subconscious mind with every thought you think. So, if you are using self-hypnosis to help you create greater abundance and you are working on your goal for half an hour a day, then you spend the other 23 hours contemplating how you don't have money to pay the bills, you're just undoing all that work you invested in self-hypnosis. Once you are done with your mind-programming, whenever you think of your goal, you'll make it happen much faster if you spend time expecting the positive outcome and giving thanks that what you desire is already yours, or at least that it is on its merry way to you.

This lovely book teaches you how to use the power of your mind in many different areas in your life. It also provides examples from the lives of others who have successfully used the power of their mind to overcome numerous obstacles and create what their hearts desired. This little stories may serve you as an inspiration until you have an assortment of your own success stories to tell - and if you genuinely apply the principles in this book, you'll have many great stories of your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maintain a Mental Picture of Success ...!, August 8, 2002
This author seems to anticipate whatever excuse, exception, or what have you, as he explains the power of your subconscious mind.
I needed a book that was different from the hundreds that I have read over the years. And I felt as though I was not growing as much as I had grown, in previous years, after college, when I discovered how wonderful it is to read books, for growth.
Throughout this book, as the author presents concrete examples of how to solve problems that others present to him, he guides readers to affirm slowly, quietly and feelingly, as you visualize the end result, and the state of freedom that you will have, because you have faith in your mind.
He also advises you to create these affirmations, which you will verbalize at least 3 times a day.
Well, for me, I had to say, "But wait a minute! How can I affirm all of these, 3 times a day? I have so many things that I want to solve, so many goals that I want to surpass, and some defeating statements to replace with empowering statements."
The answer came to me in less than 2 days, as I chose to type my affirmations. Initially, my plan was to retype them everyday. But, through the power of what I have learned from this book, the 7 pages of typed affirmations all led me within one week to relax and realize my dreams.
Things happened before I realized that they really did happen.
My affirmations were so strong, so much a part of myself, that consciously, I instructed my subconscious mind to take care of things, just as a leader delegates - and things certainly happened.
Read this book, because you deserve to master the laws of your mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the Original - It gets 5 stars (actually a million), September 9, 2001
By A Customer
I suggest that you read the original, unrevised book. That book is so powerful, it is unnecessary for any revisions to have been made. I have read both, and the original is better because it is all in Dr. Murphy's words. It is somewhat silly to assume that present day readers can not appreciate a book written in the 50's and that they need to have the gender of the subjects of the case studies changed from predominantly male to 50% female, in order to appreciate the information presented. Other changes were to the professions of the subjects in the case studies and the technology which was discussed. It's just silly that someone felt these changes had to be made. In any case, if that's what you need in order to be comfortable with reading the book, then by all means get it. It's better that you read the "updated" version than not reading it at all, because it is a wonderful book and will teach you to understand that you are the most powerful and creative force in your life, and that you quite literally can have everything that you need to live a happy life, without struggling. I use the information I learned from Dr. Murphy all day, every day. I read the book a year ago, and I am beginning to make big changes in my life, economically, physically, mentally and spiritually. I don't have everything I desire, and my life is not easy, but I am healthier and happier and more hopeful than I have ever been. I have no reason to believe this trend will not continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for Thought, September 8, 2005
This book was recommended to me by an acquaintance, a man in his 70s who still runs his own business. We had a conversation at a wedding in which my husband and this man's wife were both part of the wedding party and we weren't. He told me a lot of interesting things about how this book had helped him and the last thing he said when we said goodbye was: The Power of the Subconscious Mind. It's by Murphy.

A couple of months passed and I didn't even try to find the book. But then synchronistically, events in my life made me recall our conversation and I decided to get the book.

This book is very uplifiting. Sometimes life seems like it is not really within our control. This book enables its readers to feel like they do have some control over how things go.

On one hand, my rational mind still pokes at me and says, You cannot really believe this. On the other hand, in the intervening months, I've gone from being a librarian type who wore baggy clothes and had no self-esteem to someone that people pay attention to. I am now routinely told I am beautiful when I walk to work in the morning. Yesterday a 23 year old man told me I was "hard to miss" because I was "stunning". (I'm 42.) It's not like I exchanged bodies with Angelina Jolie or anything, so what could be making this difference? I think it must be that a few months ago, I "knew" I was dumpy and had lost my looks and now I "know" I'm beautiful. I'm healthier and happier than I've been in years. I've even managed to improve my eyesight with the techniques in this book.

Maybe it's just a coincidence. But I don't think so.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Really Works!, December 27, 2004
I am now a true believer in the power of the subconscious mind. Just a few short weeks after following the meditation, imagination and visualization techniques my hearts desires started to come to fruition. One by one each goal has started to be obtained. Like magic! I never thought I would state such comments and feel the desire to share the experience until I read these types of books and followed the principles outlined. I feel more confident, have peace of mind that things will always be ok, and truly feel no limits to prosperity. Give it a try and see results, but you have to be consistant.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved me thousands of dollars in therapy!, September 2, 2004
I had the good fortune to discover this book in a Barnes and Noble at probably the lowest point in my life. After reading it and applying the principles, things improved immeasurably. I became happier and more successful. I had been hanging around with a "bad crowd" and made new emotionally healthier, more fun friends. I had always struggled in school, but my grades improved, as well. I graduated from college, moved out of my parents' house, found an apartment and was able to go to Europe once a year! In short, thanks to this book, I was doing things that I wouldn't have even dreamed before.

I also recommend Claude Bristol's "The Magic of Believing," Norman Vincent Peale's "The Power of Positive Thinking," and Shakti Gawain's "Creative Visualization." If you want to improve your life and don't know where to start, order one of these books. They're cheap, and they work.--Terry Hernon MacDonald, author of "How to Attract and Marry the Man of Your Dreams," [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider This Your Owner's Manual, September 6, 2006
I remember walking into an auto parts store and looking at the clerk behind the counter and said, "Yeah, uhhhh, hi...I'm looking for an owner's manual for my vehicle."

He pointed to a rack of manuals and he said, "Try looking in that rack..."

"No, you don't seem to understand. I'm looking for the owner's manual for a 1965 John Morgan."

"Uhhhh..sir?"

"Me! Me! You fool! Can't you see that I don't know how to live my own life?"

After they called security and I was released as a "non-threat" I went on my way...

(The following was a dramatization for pure entertainment value. No animals were hurt during this portion of the review)

I forgot who wrote it, maybe it was Thoreau, but I remember reading something that went, "we do not see things as they are, we see things as we are..." This statement is not to be taken lightly for the implications are absolutely enormous. Basically it says that all I experience in the world is based upon what I believe about the world. My world is all about me just like your world is all about you. We like to think that there is something called reality, but there really isn't. Everyone's reality is different. Everyone's reality is based upon primarily what people believe to be true.

Did you know that the majority of our beliefs have been formed and firmly established by the time we are only five years old? Frightening to think that the majority of us are only operating on a five year old's belief system.

Most of us never even question why we believe what we believe. we just believe it. If you ask someone why they believe what they believe, they usually will say, "I dunno...I just have always believed it..."

No, you haven't. There was a time when you didn't believe what you believe now. There was a time when you and I just accepted or dismissed certain beliefs because we either agreed with something or we didn't. I used to believe that I was stupid. Why? Because my cousins told me I was. I was just a little kid but I remember my big older cousin calling me stupid. I really looked up to this guy. I wanted to please him I wanted him to like me so I just accepted his label with no questions asked. But would I have been so quick to agree with him if he had called me a penguin? Of course not, that's preposterous. Of course I'm not a penguin, but I am stupid, thank you for asking.

Geesh.

This book really gets into the nitty gritty of things. It really made me question everything I was believing. After reading this book thoroughly and carefully, I sat down one fine day and wrote down as many of my beliefs I could think of and my list looked like a list of the Who's Who List of Disempowered People. I believed I was ugly...I was skinny...I was unattractive...God didn't love me...people were mean, selfish, aggravating...I was poor, unqualified (for what?), lazy, evil, bad...on and on and on...brings tears to my eyes just thinking of those things I used to uphold as true.

Slowly, with the help of Murphy's sage advice, I began repeating positive affirmations about myself and it was about as easy as taming a wild bronco. Oh, my mind really kicked up a fuss. "What? You are not beautiful...you are ugly...c'mon, please! You are not rich, you are lousy with money...there is no way that God is Love...God is going to throw you in hell for saying that..." And it went on like that for several months, there are still those days were I have outbreaks of self-loathing, but I just calmly assert the Truth, "I am self-empowered. I am self-actualized. I have come to this life to live and to live abundantly well..."

There are some people who look at my life and think that I lead some charmed existence, but brothers and sisters, living a "real" life takes a lot of real work. The work does not necessarily have to be hard and burdensome, it can be a joyous experience releasing old demons, burning old "scripts", and letting go of beliefs that no longer serve you.

This book is quite a read and it was the gateway for hundreds of other books along the same lines. People may complain, "Oh, he repeats himself over and over again..."

Don't we all...don't we all?

The journey into deeper understanding and self-knowledge is wondrous experience. I would rather hear a small tidbit of Truth over and over again rather than listening to the monkey garbage I used to endure...all of my own doing, of course...but Truth, real truth makes us high, makes us feel as though we could be, do, or have anything we want.

Which by the way, we can...

Empower yourself with this gorgeous book. Your universe will dramatically rearrange Itself just for you. It has to. That is the Law.

Peace and Blessings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bible of positive attitude, April 3, 2002
I had an older copy of this book around for years and I never read it and then one day I picked it for some reading material while I was going downtown for jury duty. I figured I might as well do something for mind while I had to wait and waste time as some would look at it. Instead, I discovered my little second bible. I have read sections of this book dozens of times and I have underlined many of the affirmations and I read them daily. I even downloaded them to my palm pilot and read them when I am in car pool lines etc. I have memorized several of the affirmations by heart. This book has changed my attitudes and my whole concept of what is possible in life. I even started doing workshops in my chiropractic office titled the power of affirmation in healing. I would highly recommend this book to people interested in their personal power and reaching their full potential. I regularly give copies to my patients as thank you gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Doubled My Income, May 20, 2006
R. Hoffman (Olympia, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This book actually doubled my income when I applied some of its techniques to increasing my wealth. I have tried things like affirmations and meditation over the years with piecemeal success in terms of manifesting improvements in my day-to-day life. But for whatever reason, when I finished this book (which was recommended to me by a psychologist friend), my life started to change in ways I had only dreamed of before. The author talks about affirmations and other techniques you've probably heard of before. But he explains why they don't normally work and how to correct the problem, adding lots of techniques of his own. His book certainly did the trick for me. I am a writer by profession, and I went from putsing along at $1500 a month to making at least $3000 a month (regularly for nine months now). The book isn't about just making money but about reprogramming your subconscious mind to bring whatever it is you desire into your life. The author claims to have actually cured himself of terminal cancer, which is how he got started in the self-help business. I highly recommend this read.

The Power of Your Subconscious Mind
The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy (Mass Market Paperback - January 2, 2001)
Used & New from: $0.01