1,011 of 1,044 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever read.
Published on March 25, 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Worthless edition of otherwise good book
Published on March 26, 2009 by MVK

1,011 of 1,044 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever read., March 25, 2000
By A Customer
Let me tell you that this is the best book I have ever read and quite literally saved me life. Two years ago I pondered a simple question. Why were some people happy while I was so miserable? I got an account with amazon.com and ordered all the books I could to find to answer the question and I stumbled upon this book. I read it then and thought, 'yeah right this can't possibly be true.' I just could not believe that you could create your destiny with your thoughts. I thought that the book was ludicrous and a waste of time, so I put it down.
About 6 months afterward I picked up with an open mind. This time I practiced the techniques just to see what would happen. My first goal was to become more confident. Through a disciplined program of visualization and autosuggestion I accomplished the goal. The strange thing was that I didn't even realize it was happening because the subconscious mind is so subtle. One day while I was around a lot of people I stopped for a minute and thought, 'Why aren't I nervous?' My confidence problem disappeared right there. Then I began working on different goals one of which was overcoming a fear I had and the techniques worked perfectly again. This is when I really began to believe that there was something to this stuff. Once you realize that anything you could ever want in your life you can get, you are just filled with a mystical sense of awe. The only drawback to this is the difficulty required. I can tell you now that I still am not completely changed. It takes a lot of time and discipline to change your mental patterns, but everyday you just need to keep believing and doing the techniques. It's easy to lose faith and think it's not working, but all you need is that first success and you will be a believer. Start small and then work your way up to bigger goals and everything around you will fall into place. The last thing I want to say is that you need to truly DESIRE to change. It won't be easy, but 'keep on until day breaks and the shadows flee away...'
Good luck and Peace.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worthless edition of otherwise good book, March 26, 2009
Some time ago, a friend shared with me a copy of Dr. Joseph Murphy's "The Power of Your Subconscious Mind", Revised and Expanded Edition, which I found insightful, and wanted to purchase to keep around. I buy my books primarily through Amazon, and prefer hardcover editions, which tend to last longer. So, when I found the edition I am reviewing, ISBN 956-291-368-6, I was thrilled and ordered it immediately. Imagine my unpleasant surprise when I received the book and found that its text was substantially different from the original I've read, not to say that the layout of the text represented a true "hack job" - no space between the paragraphs, no italics or different fonts used in Dr. Murphy's original, and so important for laying out and emphasizing his ideas. It turned out that although the book I purchased was listed on Amazon as a "Revised Edition", it represented some strange creation by a little-known publishing house "BN Publishing", which copyrighted the text in 2006. Now, the original book by Dr. Murphy was copyrighted first in 1963, with further copyrights following in 1988 and 1997. May be for some reason the copyright collapsed and vultures moved in? Who knows! At any rate, for those who are interested in Dr. Murphy's real text, the book to get is either ISBN 978-0-7352-0168-2 or ISBN 978-0-7352-0431-7, the latter inscribed on the front page as "The only edition authorized by Dr. Joseph Murphy Trust". As for the hardcover edition I bought - I am returning it. And Amazon should be ashamed of carrying this product, which, in my humble opinion, represents an infringement on Dr. Murphy's copyright.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power of Your Subconscious Mind - Dr. Joseph Murphy, April 4, 2000
In 1974 I was given the book "The Power of Your Subconscious Mind" The book was a present to me from my boss and mentor.....And, before a year was up, my life changed completely. It takes practice and it takes faith....but, I can tell you it's worth it and it works. Since that time I have given away over 50 copies as presents, and I usually include a copy of "The Game of Life and How To Play It" by Florence Scovill Shinn.....These two books alone will change your life if you understand, practice, and above all believe. Don't just read them once or twice....read them everyday, over and over, pieces at a time, for the rest of your life, and soon you too will be buying them by the case to give to every person you meet. Be prepared for amazing things to happen to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, November 3, 2005
Takipsilim (Manila, Philippines) - See all my reviews
A few years back I was at a familiar all-time low. Depressed, angry, frustrated, temperamental, spiteful, prejudiced, envious, hateful, and several more none too commendable traits constituted my mental state. Burdened and wearied by seemingly never ending physical, mental, and emotional problems I thought myself doomed from the start. I always believed then that a dark cloud hung over me, that my life would never get to a proper, more positive and fulfilling path. Peace of mind, satisfaction and fulfillment that come with a succesful life I thought were for others more fortunate and never for me. Then one day my mother lent me a book which offered to change one's life for the better.

This was that book. At first I was suspicious, the book stating very clearly that one's life is determined by one's thoughts and it can be altered to one's desire all dependent on what one truly believes. Really? I've always heard about the power of the mind and all that brouhaha but at my deeply ingrained negativity and depression at the time it seemed like a con to further my distress. When I started reading the book I was stunned by the light which the words so wonderfully and eloquently conveyed. I couldn't believe that life could be so simple and so good. And have one's life controlled by no one else but ONE'S SELF, by one's power. Halfway into the book I pushed the book aside, thinking it was too good to be true, the author may have meant well, but it was really unreal. Looking back I could see how bad my condition was to think that way.

I thought I was done and over with the book, and about a month passed. Yet I couldn't get it off my mind, as if some inner entity in me kept saying, "Try it, give it a chance. You have nothing to lose". And considering my situation then it would have been criminal to ignore such words. So I returned to the book like a wayward child, read it, and had my life changed.

"The Power of Your Subconscious Mind" is a philosophy of man's hidden power to change and maintain his/her life and that of others for the better. The book simply and marvelously elucidates through simple exercises how one can heal oneself and others; think positively to elevate one's life to peace and tranquility; visualize what one wants to attain and have it; and how to get rid of negative thoughts and bad habits which serve as obstacles to a person's dreams and right to have peace. Most important, it describes what the subconscious mind is, how it functions, how to treat it, and the wonders it can do for you.

Ever since I followed the exercises of this divinely-imparted book my life has changed so much for the better that the person I was prior to reading Dr. Joseph Murphy's gift is so distant, so alien to me that I could barely relate to myself then and regret that I hadn't had the good fortune to discover this book much earlier in life. It would have kept me away from a lot of unnecessary thoughts and actions which led to much unfortunate events. But better late than never. Do yourself a favor - read this book and change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful book that gives real hope, June 7, 2000
I bought this book just a few years back. This is one of the best book about the mind that I've ever read! Dr Murphy gives examples after examples of how people used the power of their mind to solve problems, heal seemingly incurable illness and to aquire success. The author himself used this method to heal a skin maglinancy when he was young, and he's got concrete results himself. "Ask for bread, and you'll not be given stone". And he has one of the most powerful technique to suggest to the subconscious as well. And he tells you all about it in this book - what works, why it works, what doesn't work. This is the best secret you want to know in life. I often use this method to achieve things as well. In 1997, I had this wish to do so well in my design project that my lecturer will print it in the school magazine. Seemed an impossible task cos I used to be an average student. Well, I achieved that goal within a year! You can use your subconscious to attract the people you want to attract, get the help you need from whomever can supply it, create oppourtunities for you. The possibilities are limitless- because your subconsious is infinite and unlimited. It is an Intelligence that listens to your command! GET THIS BOOK! I will buy it even if it cost 3 times higher, because the secret within cannot be put a price tag on!

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST READ BOOK!, April 22, 2011
Ralph (COLONIA, NJ, United States) - See all my reviews
Here are some of the GEMS I found in this book. There is a lot more then this :)

The Power of Your Subconscious Mind

Remember it is the world within, namely, your thoughts feelings and imagery that makes your world without.

Never finish a negative statement, reverse it immediately, and wonders will happen in your life.

Whatever you claim mentally and feel as true, your subconscious mind will accept and bring forth into your experience. The only thing necessary for you to do is to get your subconscious mind to accept your idea.

When thoughts are conveyed to your subconscious mind, impressions are made in the brain cells. As soon as you're subconscious accepts any idea, if proceeds to put it into effect immediately.

They have shown repeatedly that your subconscious mind will accept any suggestion, however false. Having once accepted any suggestion, it responds accordingly to the nature of suggestion given.

Check regularly on negative suggestions that people make to you. You do not have to be influenced by destructive suggestions. Do not let others do your thinking for you. Choose your own thoughts and make your own decisions.

Whatever the conscious, reasoning mind believes; the subconscious mind will accept and act upon. Never say I CAN'T

We injure ourselves by the negative ideas, which we entertain. How often have you wounded yourself by getting angry, fearful, jealous, or vengeful? These are the poisons that enter your subconscious mind.

According to your belief is it done unto you! Faith is, in a sense, accepting as true what your reason and senses deny.

Faith produces miracles; and whether it is true or false faith, it will always produces the same wonders.

Imagine the end desired and feel its reality; then infinite life principle will respond to your conscious choice in your conscious request.

Your subconscious speaks to you in intuitions, impulses, hunches, intimations, urges, and ideas.

You are the sum total of your own thoughts.

New idea must be felt subjectively in a finished state, not the future, but as idea coming about now.

To believe is to accept something as true, or to live in the state of being it.
Your subconscious is always controlled by the dominant idea. Your subconscious will accept the stronger of two contradictory propositions.

To avoid all conflict between your desires and imagination by entering into a drowsy, sleepy state this brings all effort to a minimum. The conscious mind is submerged to a great extent when is the sleepy state. The best time to impregnate your subconscious is prior to sleep.

Repeat about five minutes to yourself three or four times a day. "Wealth - Success" these words have a tremendous power.

There is no conflict in the mind when you say, "Wealth." Furthermore, the feeling of wealth will well up within you as you dwell on the idea of wealth. The feeling of wealth produces wealth; keep this in mind at all times. Envy and jealousy are stumbling blocks to the flow of wealth. Rejoice in the prosperity of others.

Repeat often:
I am one with limitless riches of my subconscious mind. It is my right to be rich, happy, and successful. Money flows to me freely, abundantly, and endlessly. I am forever conscious of my true worth. I give of my talents freely, and I am wonderfully blessed financially. It is wonderful.

Awakes to the simple truth that it is never what a person says or does that affects you. It is your reaction to what is said or done that matters. Criticism cannot hurt you without your consent.

You cannot be hurt when you know that you are the master of your thoughts, reactions, and emotions. Emotions follow thoughts, and you have the power to reject all thoughts, which may disturb or upset you.

This is just some of the good points. This is a must read for anyone that wants to change or improve their life.

Thanks Ralph

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFE CHANGING, June 26, 2000
God bless Joseph Murphy's soul into infinity. I would give this book 10 stars if that were possible. I first read it two years ago and it set me off on an incredible journey of self-discovery and self-improvement. It is immensely therapeutic in cleaning cobwebs from the mind. I have reread it twice since and also read about 5 other books by Murphy. I would recommend this as the very best title in the entire field of self-improvement. A similar author whose work has also helped me, is Frederick Bailes. Then move on to Louise L Hay, John Price, Stuart Wilde.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Man That Was Ahead of His Time, December 21, 1999
The Power of Your Subconscious Mind is a classic, written by a man that was ahead of his time. Many of the self-help gurus of today have "borrowed" his ideas, especially on affirmations and beliefs. My library is full of self-help books ranging from Robbins and Covey to Brian Tracy. This book is by far one of the best self-help guides ever written. Highly recommended and easy to understand with applicable methodology.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Turning point of my life, November 16, 2000
Y. Tal (Herzelyia Israel) - See all my reviews
It's amazing, only a year ago I was a whole diffrent man. I was Fat, Un-popular, full of hate human being. Now, after reading this incredible book I have discoverd an awsome new world, the world that existed inside of me. My life has changed. From a desperate man I turned into a loving human being. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Joseph Murphy for writing this exellent book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Nonreligious, September 8, 2011
David J. Campbell (Grand Blanc, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This book is written by an author who assumes the reader is religious and wants to do lots of praying. It is filled with biblical quotations. A much better book on this subject is "The Genie Within" by Harry W. Carpenter. Carpenter does mention prayer in his book, but does not use it as the main methodology as Murphy does. If you are very religious and want to do lots of praying, buy the Murphy book.

The Power of Your Subconscious Mind
The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy (Paperback - November 24, 2008)
$5.49 $4.94