5.0 out of 5 stars Raising Spirits High
Editorial critic Scott Wilson is way off base with his review of this one. This is one of Whitney's most inspirational, soul filled and spirited projects. Although not her most recent, this is one of Whitney's most inspirational, soul filled and spirited projects. This one gives us only a glimpse of what Whitney could do if she really let her gospel roots dominate...
Published on January 4, 2004 by Darren

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Listen
I liked the movie and the songs seemed timeless and that is why I purchased this cd. I must say that I love this cd and listen to it often. Even if you are not a big fan of gospel music you will love this cd.
Published 7 months ago by Danielle W.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raising Spirits High, January 4, 2004
Darren (Jersey Shore, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife: Original Soundtrack Album (Audio CD)

Her vocal delivery borders flawless. She articulately and powerfully belts them out, some with the added inspirational power of a gospel choir backing her up.

This soundtrack will raise your spirits high. In this soundtrack, Whitney shares her heart, soul and spirit with the listener. The inspirational energy and passion she emits on this album have yet to be matched on any of her others.

I hope she soon finds her way back to that spirit filled place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparks interest in black gospel for church library, September 22, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife: Original Soundtrack Album (Audio CD)
I very much enjoy this CD of black gospel songs. Its message is one of joy and faith. After listening to it while I walk every day I am energized. Furthermore, as a church librarian and personally, this CD has helped introduce me to black gospel and I am now adding some black gospel CDs to our collection at our predominantly white Lutheran church and to my own collection at home. Black gospel seems so sincere to me compared to contemporary Christian music which often seems kind of slick. Other church members feel the same way and have asked me to add these to our collection as well. Even my daughter responded to the lyrics--when she heard the song, "I Go to the Rock," she asked, "Mom, why are they singing about rocks?" So this album reaches everyone, you see, which is so very cool, don't you agree? Keep singing, Whitney, and the Georgia Mass Choir. You made a terrific album! Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Back To Square One, July 20, 2002
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife: Original Soundtrack Album (Audio CD)
Since her career started in the mid 80's, Whitney Houston dominated in true R&B form, a form that has kept her going for several years. Surprisingly, almost nobody remained familiar with Whitney's roots in music.
When Whitney Houston starred in The Preacher's Wife in 1996, she showcased a true display of force dominance and honesty with her music. To be honest, the music was the most exciting music of Whitney's career in the movies, even better than the 1992 movie, The Bodyguard.
While many people still don't label Gospel as a kind of force in music on the radio these days, the music Whitney Houston has shown on this album, is a great starter into Gospel music. The songs here are beautiful, from I Believe In You And Me, a cover from The Four Tops, to Step By Step, written by Annie Lennox of the Eurythmics.
Although many people don't consider labeling Whitney Houston in the field of Gospel music, the music from The Preacher's Wife is about as good as it gets, from a category of music that still is heavily ignored.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Unbelievable gift, February 11, 2012
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife: Original Soundtrack Album (Audio CD)
The Preacher's Wife remains my favorite CD because it shows Whitney at her best. When she sang Gospel she was in her element for Whitney's training entailed singing in the choir as a youth under the direction of the great Cissy Houston who also let Whitney tag along whenever she did backup for Aretha Franklin. Wow it just doesn't get any better than that.

My favorite song on The Preacher's Wife is "I Love the Lord". If you want to hear clarity, control, range, spirit and emotion, this song has it all, including her trademark --the Almighty high note.

Her gift and status during her peak will always be her legacy. In her day, no one could touch her impeccable voice and perfect pitch. She had style and class, something that is sorely lacking in divas today. If Whitney never sang another note after her triumph in the movie "The Bodyguard" she would still be hailed as one of the greatest voices----- period. But she did continue to sing and share her gift, and for that I am forever grateful. In my humble opinion, Whitney's wonderful range and vocal abilities were best utilized when she sang gospel, as illustrated in this uplifting soundtrack. After all, it gave her an opportunity to return to her roots.
RIP, Whitney Houston.

4.0 out of 5 stars So very nearly perfect!, November 27, 1999
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife: Original Soundtrack Album (Audio CD)
Just a quick review to say that this CD is almost flawless. I agree with so many of the other reviewers that a couple of weak tracks by Babyface and Diane Warren are all that hold this CD back. The gospel tracks are absolutely stunning. Now if only Whitney would go and record an all-out gospel album! Please?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Gospel Album to ever hit the face of this earth., September 28, 2005
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife: Original Soundtrack Album (Audio CD)
I don't mean to be any disrespect to the likes of Shirley Ceasar and Albertina Walker, but anyone who is a Whitney Houston fan, knows that she was meant to make an album like tthis. This is one of the best albums of the Gospel genre and the R&B world. Whitney really went back to her roots on this album and no matter what she is going through at this present day and time, she is still one of the greatest singers to ever grace this earth. She has crossed over into that treasure where people love her and want to see her doing well. Finally I would just like to say to everyone, especially African-Americans and true Whitney fans, lets nurse Whitney back to good spirits and success so that she can show Mariah Carey and Toni Braxton how its really done. WE ARE DOING NOTHING BUT MAKING IT WORSE BY MAKING FUN AND BRINGING HER DOWN. WE LOVE U WHITNEY! THANX FOR YOUR WORK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitney: we miss you.........., August 23, 2005
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife: Original Soundtrack Album (Audio CD)
Listen to this CD. Then you will understand why Whitney Houston is simply incomparable. There will never be another as she is. This gospel compilation is simply delicious, but also full of strenght, energy. My favourite tracks are: "Hold on, help is on the way", "Who would imagine a king", "I`ll go to the rock" and "I believe in you and me".

Whitney....we miss you....give us THAT voice again and again...

4.0 out of 5 stars This justifies her gospel roots so very well!, July 13, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife: Original Soundtrack Album (Audio CD)
I loved this album! Whitney's mix of gospel and inspirational songs are fabulous here! I love her joyful Joy to The World and I go To the Rock. And Step By Step sounds very good here. This album goes back to her roots strongly, long before the big ballads and over the top performances that she's mostly known for. Stirring, moving, emotional and dramatic songs here!

5.0 out of 5 stars A STELLAR RECORDING BY WHITNEY!, October 25, 2002
Jay Siekierski (STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife: Original Soundtrack Album (Audio CD)
Whitney Houston has done it again. Her new release The Preacher'sWife is a must for any fan who thought the girl was a 'one
dimensional voice' on her previous releases. This girl can really deliver the goods and being a major fan of Gospel, R & B &
Bluesy Soul, anybody who digs those sounds will be knocked out by Whitney's performance on all. "Step By Step" is offered
in 2 different versions, a 'clubby Dance' remix and a lighter 'poppier clubby' Dance mix. Both are fine. Her roots in Gospel are
bubbling on "Joy," "I Go To The Rock" & He's All Over Me" on which she is joined with Shirley Caesar and The Georgia
Mass Choir. These tunes will lift you totally up to the heavens! The ballads are also strong and "You Were Loved" is primo. "I
Believe In You And Me" also is offered in 2 different versions, a beautiful slow ballad (for me the best one) and a more 'fluffy'
single version. Cissy Houston & The Hezekiah Walker Choir offer "The Lord Is My Shepherd" marvelously. By the way "Step
By Step" (either version) & the slow ballad version of "I Believe In You And Me" are smashes! Boy I'd love to hear her do an
all Jazzy-Blues album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative, December 17, 2000
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife: Original Soundtrack Album (Audio CD)
How can you go wrong with Whitney Houston and the Georgia Mass Choir? Or with Whitney Houston and the first lady of gospel Shirley Ceasar? As a former choir member, I love the genre. And while I never sounded nearly as good as these folks, this CD brought back fond memories of standing in the choir loft on Sunday mornings. She has said that during the filming of the movie, she always sang live because "You don't lip synch with the Georgia Mass Choir." It's a real treat to see those performances. Whitney makes you feel all of these songs, but my favorites are "Joy" and "I Love the Lord" which was praised by the New York Times as the most virtuoso vocal performance of that year. I will admit that I am not objective because I am a huge Whitney Houston fan. Personal problems aside, this is one flawless singer who had been blessed with excellent pipes.
I thought it was cute that when a previous reviewer mentioned that her daughter wanted to know why Whitney and the choir were singing about rocks in one of the selections. And I agree that this music can touch anyone. That's the beauty of gospel music, and I'm not talking about that watered down Kirk Franklin stuff either. This is that down-home, old school gospel music. The music of our parents and grandparents. The duet with Shirley Ceasar, He's All Over Me, is a classic gospel workout.
I remember the year that Whitney boycotted an awards show because this CD wasn't considered for honors in the gospel category, but it can actually be put into many categories -- gospel, seasonal, soundtrack. There are some R&B tracks including a remake of I Believe in You and Me and Step by Step, but I bought this CD for the gospel tracks. I would love to hear Whitney do an entire album of hymns or standards.

The Preacher's Wife: Original Soundtrack Album
The Preacher's Wife: Original Soundtrack Album by Whitney Houston (Audio CD - 1996)
Rate and Discover Movies