The Presidents Of The United States Of America CD
|Listen Now with Prime Music Join Prime||Prime Members|
The Presidents of The United States of America: Ten Year Super Bonus Special Anniversary Edition
|New from||Used from|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Make no mistake, this trio could rock as its cover of MC5's "Kick Out The Jams" attests. They also reference ZZTop, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Beatles musically and lyrically. The topics were fun ("Kitty," "Lump," "Dune Buggy") and the group had a way with a guitar hook. Moreover, like that fun 60s rock, the Presidents made their points quickly and got out (most songs struggled to make it to three minutes.) This is the album the infamous Shaggs wish they could have made.
But it wouldn't last. Green Day took the same approach, added a whinier voice, slacker world view and a touch of schmaltz to bring LPs like "Dookie" and songs like "Time Of Your Life" to the charts, while the Presidents recorded another year, cut a movie theme, then split. A shame, really, we could have used tunes like "We're Not Going To Make It," and "Peaches" one of these every couple of years, to remember that rock and roll needn't be angry to be enjoyable - or good. Recommended.
The President's style is relaxed and enjoyable. Every song on this CD is catchy and a lot of fun. There's nothing " deep" or " meaningful" about the songs; they are just enjoyable.
If you're ever in the mood to just flake out and smile, this CD is perfect. Some songs may actually make you laugh.
1. Kitty 8/10- Quite a catchy track, and quite funny too, especially the line "F*ck you kitty/you're gonna spend the night outside!" Not the best track here, but tends to go down well at live gigs.
2. Feather Pluckn 10/10- Very good track, probably taking it's cues from nonsense poems, as the song itself makes no sense. Very catchy guitar lines and chorus.
3. Lump 10/10- One of the best songs on the album, catchy as hell (like most of this album) and a great single. Seemingly a love song, but still pretty bonkers.
4. Stranger 10/10- Slow start, but with a killer chorus. Lots of weird uses of speech, but original, as you'd expect from PUSA. Tells the story of a love affair with a stripper, with plenty of humor.
5. Boll Wevil 9/10- Very funky, telling the story of trying to get a bug "friend" outside. Not the best again, but great bass, and the ending section is killer.
6. Peaches 11/10- The best track here, a song about- you guessed it- Peaches! Again, kinda nonsense, but endlessly catchy! The guitar riff echoes the poppier side of punk-pop acts, such as Dookie-era Green Day. No bad thing.
7. Dune Buggy 9/10- This track has grown on me immensley, at first I thought it was rubbish, but now I like it quite alot. A strange song about a spider driving a dune buggy.
8. We Are Not Going To Make It 11/10- The 2nd best here, very, very catchy, short, but sweet. A go at a "proper" punk song, and one of my favourites.
9. Kick Out The Jams 10/10- Cover of the MC5 song, speedily done, but thriling, fun and overall- ace!
10.Read more ›
The CD begins with one of the band's best: "Kitty". The second single on the album is actually the reason I became such a huge fan of The Presidents. "Peaches" and "Lump" also took part in that. Most people know it by now. One of my particular favorite songs here is "Feather Pluckn". The first track was pretty straightforward, as it was about a cat, but "Feather Pluckn" is a great song about nothing too specific. The first verse reads: `10 million monkeys all pick up guitars / 5000 fishies rockin really really really hard / check out chickie, drivin piggy's little blue car' with a background shout of `...and nobody taught them how'. There's really nothing we as fans can relate to, but it's still an awesome song. All I have to say about "Lump" is if you like it, you'll like the entire CD. The main single showcases the album's sound quite well. The song "Stranger" is also one of my favorites. It's about a striper and is a little more harmonious in its beginning than the previous three.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This band strikes just the right balance of beat, tempo, and fun. Great to listen to during a drive or a workout. I'm a new fan.Published 9 months ago by Kevin N. Persson
If you were young in the 90s you can't beat owning this album. You'll sing along to all the songs and say to yourself "Where did that come from? Read morePublished 14 months ago by Bennett
This special release celebrates the 10 year anniversary of their multi-million selling original album release with Columbia Records in 1995, and includes two discs - a music CD and... Read morePublished 15 months ago by BizFunk
This was my favorite CD back in the day and I still love it. I sing along, loud, and annoy my family to no end. Great for working out to as well.Published 17 months ago by M. Peterson
this is a great CD and a piece of music history. if you have the original get this one anyways. i am glad i got such a deal on this onePublished 21 months ago by Stan The Au