Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Pretenders Greatest Hits
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on March 5, 2003
I finally received The Pretenders Greatest Hits as a gift a month ago. I absolutely love this collection of tunes, but there exists a puzzle in my mind concerning track choices.
I think "I've Got You Babe" should have been left off. It got onto the "Singles" collection, so I wish it - as well as a couple others - had been kept off the "Greatest Hits". Some much better choices would have been some of Hynde's own compositions like "Show Me", or "My Baby", or perhaps "Never Do That" from the much-over-looked "Packed" album. If there were to be covers included on this album (CD), I think the band's rendition of 10CC's "I'm Not In Love", from the "Indecent Proposal" sound track, would have been a much better choice.
But, all in all, an excellent collection from one of my all-time favorite bands and singer/songwriter.
on October 23, 2001
Its one of my all time favorite bands and their greatest hits! Its got to be good! I only wish they had of put "My Baby" on the cd!! Its my all time fave Pretenders song! Anyway, I really wish their crummy USA record label would release this cd here in the USA along with the video compilation! I had to buy the cd on import but it was worth it! I now am in search for the video compilation.I LOVE Pretenders! The remastered tracks sound so clear & clean too! Worth buying!
on April 1, 2001
Chrissie Hyndes is a rock goddess! Everything that comes out of her mouth is gold. The Pretenders' Greatest Hits ought to be released domestically here in the US and available to fans of the band. The only song that I thought should have been on the cd is "Revolution" from the "State of Independence" cd. Otherwise all my personal faves such as "Hymn to Her" and "Brass In Pocket" can be found on the cd. This cd is a more complete collection than their singles cd released a long time ago. A definite must have for fans of The Pretenders.
on September 19, 2001
In terms of sound quality, song quantity and the sheer variety of the material itself, this one definitely betters "The Singles" CD first issued back in the late '80s. And although I kinda miss the likes of "Show Me" and "My Baby", both of which were included on "The Singles" set, one can not quibble when their substitutes are bigger and even better latter day hits a la "Human" and "Night in My Veins".
Some people might also question the wisdom of including BOTH of Chrissie Hynde's dodgy duets with UB40, but those were big hits so they sorta belong here. "State of Independence", another questionable Chrissie collaboration --- this time around with Moodswings, who/whatever they were --- is a waste of time and valuable space here, but aside from such minor complaints this 20-track selection is blissfully free of major duds, and one needn't look any further than the tracklisting - from early classics "Kid" and "Back on the Chain Gang" to the aforementioned if slightly less regular ace-ness of '90s stuff like "Human" and "Night in My Veins" - to be convinced of its overall excellence.
The covers - from the Kinks' "Stop Your Sobbing" and "I Go To Sleep", to Dylan's "Forever Young", via the Persuaders' "Thin Line Between Love and Hate" (we'll just overlook Dusty's "Breakfast in Bed, OK?) - are pretty much flawless as well.
Prima pop confection!
on June 25, 2004
I love The Pretenders, especially Chrissie Hynde. But the jerk who put this album together should be run over by a girl with a mullet in a Ford Pinto.
James is right, where's 'I'm Not In Love'? Great cover, hard to find. And 'The Homecoming' from the movie G.I. Jane? It rocks! The song 'Human' is wonderful, but what is this 'Rin Tin Tin' remix as "the standard" crud?! Put the original on. And no songs from Loose Screw? A bonafide WTF is in order... hey, why not put in 'Complex Person' or my other favorite 'I Should Of'; other notables are 'Kinda Nice, I Like It', 'Clean Up Woman' and 'Walk Like A Panther'.
And to the joker that said Chrissie isn't special, choke on a cucumber. Who do you know that still rocks at this stage of their career? Who else seems to get better or keep up standards this late in a music career? And who gives a damn about politics, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT MUSIC!
-The Ayatollah of Cool has spoken. (LONG ROCK CHRISSIE!!!)
on March 1, 2001
I got it by chance, searching for the song "I got you babe" with UB40. Yet it came to be an excellent choice and a real masterpiece. All the songs you'd ever want from Pretenders are there.I do recommend it...
on January 2, 2009
Love the music, but the CD sounds better in in the car than at home, where it seems compressed (upper midrange emphasis, few quieter parts). Both of my vinyl Pretenders albums, Get Close and Learning to Crawl, sound better. For a sampler, this is a good selection. But if you already know you like Chrissie and her band, their other albums are far from "a couple of hits plus filler" - you'll like the in-between songs as much or more than the hits.
on July 18, 2004
Human is the standout here - a personal Favourite. Popstar is
another great (recent) Recording. Kid is a good oldie &
Message of Love / Hymn to Her, Bring back fond memories of
that Era. Talk of the Town is my 2nd Fave - Timeless.
Adequate album - But I was always a "Admire-From-A-Distance"
kind of Fan.
on April 25, 2006
Hi, you can find this fantastic song on the CD Loose Screw , but only on the release with Extra tracks (US edition imported)...search this on amazon.. you can find it!

Hope this can help...

Rgds
on August 13, 2009
I wasn't the biggest Pretender fan back in the day. In fact I admitted to only a few people (girls) that I liked the band, since as a teenager in the 80's liking the Pretenders was akin to wearing an earring on the wrong ear. My Pretender tapes (yes tapes) were destroyed years ago. I picked their Greatest Hits up hoping I would still find the magic I enjoyed albeit secretly in my youth. I found I still love Hynes beautiful haunting vocals and appreciate her lyrics in a new way that a teenager who has not lived any of his life could not. If you are a hardcore fan, you want all the cd's, but you need to start someplace and this collection is a great beginning to a wonderful relationship.