Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Princess Bride: A Celebration
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on September 28, 2012
I adore this movie. When it first came out, I must have seen it 20 times in the theater and dragged everyone I knew to it. We had Rocky Horror style parties where we dressed up as characters and ate stew like the one Fezzik makes for Inigo. We lit lighters when the fireswamp spurted flames. So I have been celebrating the Princess Bride for a long time.

The book: not so much. It contains lots of polaroids from the production that appear to have been used for continuity. They are poorly lit, barely focused and don't add anything to "celebrate" 25 years of this movie. There are some movie stills, publicity shots and a few photos from behind the scenes. The text consists of an introduction by Rob Reiner and an afterword by Norman Lear who produced the movie. There are some pages of the movie script, a few set design images printed on vellum and a series of one-page reminiscences from the cast. There was nothing new there if you have seen the extras on the dvds over the years.

It could have been so much better. Especially at this price. Why not interview the guys who played the ROUSes or Yellin? A note from William Goldman might have been nice. If we are celebrating the movie, why not show its impact on the culture? Where has it been referenced? How many Buttercups and Westleys have trick-or-treated, gone to Comic-Cons or even gotten married?

It may be the only book available, but it's such a disappointment. A children's picture book with shots from the movie would have been a more appealing use of the stills.

For a movie that has lived and thrived for generations, this book does nothing to reflect that energy and appeal. Wait for it to show up in a bargain bin.
22 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2013
Ever since my sister's then boyfriend showed me this movie I was hooked! I drive my friend's crazy because I can recite every characters line word for word. This was and is of one my comfort movies. This Book is a MUST for any PB fan(and you know who you are!) There are script pages,behind the scene photos,quotes from the actors great stuff that a true Fan like myself and others will truly appreciate and love.Thank you For this Book! Have Fun Storming the Castle! It will not take Miracle for you to love this book!
on May 6, 2013
Neat pictures but due to the age of the film some of the pictures are faded. Overall a good fun trip to reminsce about a great film that my local video store wouldn't carry because it was a "B movie and no one will rent it" - how wrong he was. I was excited to get this book. Good quality binding and printing. Made a nice present.
on October 17, 2013
I love The Princess Bride, this is a nice simple book that should have come out years and years ago. Wish they had shot more behind the scenes photos and videos of this beloved movie. This book is for completists, and is enjoyable
on January 4, 2014
My duaghter loves this film - I love this film. this is a great book with behind the scenes stories and pictures and pages from the screenplay.
on March 10, 2013
One of my favorite movies is now also one of my favorite books (coffee-table style, that is) - chock full of images, scenes, dialog. Love it.
on January 28, 2014
Celebration is in the title and it is an awesome collector, gave to my husband as a birthday gift and he was thrilled!!!
on December 8, 2012
Any princess bride fan should have this. It has a lot of great pics and actual words from the actors.
on November 17, 2014
A great addition to my library. You must watch the movie. You must read the novel. And you must have this just for fun. Oh, and I got it quickly and it was exactly as described. Maybe even better. Understand though, that this is essentially a picture book with some pages of the script. It is more to look at than to read.
on March 27, 2015