Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

on May 2, 2007
This movie was one of my favorites growing up, and everyone around me that I have shared it with has fallen in love with it. The story is about the adventurous Princess Irene. The princess is off playing in the woods when she is attacked by goblins pets. She is saved by a mining boy named Curty. They quickly become friends and get into a lot of trouble. The goblins attack and Irene must rely on her own magic to save Curty, and in turn the entire kingdom. (Yes the story has a happy ending ^^ )

The story teaches the importance of believing in yourself, friendship, not keeping things inside, and the power of a song. I would recommend this story to any child boy or girl. However, there are a few scary parts in this movie, nothing bad compared to what kids are exposed to these days but I would advise that the parents sit and watch the movie with that child the first time through just in case it doesn't met that parent's pretence. (There is a spot where the ground starting moving at the beginning and a hand comes out and grabs her. Of course she gets away! If your child can handle the movie The Black Cauldron, then this movie is fine!)

One warning to parents, this movie becomes a quick favorite, so I would advise ear plugs because the movie has been known to be played so a lot.

I would recommend this to any child; I hope this review has been helpful!
on March 3, 2005
I absolutely adored this film when I was younger, and now I'm in my late teens... and I still find it hysterical! Although the animation is a bit cheap at times, it's all a part of "The Princess and the Goblin." You just learn to love it.

The music is strange, there is a King who whispers almost ever word, and a goblin prince with a wet lisp who sprays saliva over everyone. It's friggin' awesome!

One of the strangest parts is when Princess Irene and her friend Curdie ("the mining boy!") look up at the sky. Irene says "Look Curdie, the moon!" and they explode into hysterical laughter.

The movie is made of psychotic moments like this. My dad and I have created a running commentary for it.

THINGS TO LOOK FOR: Some of Sigmund Freud's beliefs about mother and son relationships (very.. freaky.. overtones..), a Pig-Man in the background of one scene, rumpled sheets in Irene's bedroom after the prince finds her... Just to name a few.

Although I've looked into in waaay too much, this is a cute and funny film that will be enjoyed by kids and adults alike.. If not for different reasons.
on February 27, 2002
I love this movie. It's excellent, and you won't be wasting your time if you get it.
on January 17, 2003
When I was a kid I would watch this movie all the time! It had great characters, people and goblins, and it was a marvelous story! I haven't seen it in the longest time though because I got older and I got into other movies, but every now and then I think about it and I wish I had it to watch it! Infact, it was my favorite movie growning up, and my parents always rented it for me and my sister at a movie gallery and I never got tired of it!I recommend this movie to all people, young and old! It's hard not to love it!
on January 14, 2011
This is a fantastic movie. The animation is dated from the movies of today but you will not mind because the plot is an outstanding family movie for kids and adults. A great movie to watch togetehr and discuss the plot and ethics. MAD
on May 17, 2002
This UK adaptaion of an old victorian classic is a big hit with my four year-old.
Evil goblins living underground plot to capture a princess and marry her to a goblin prince and thus take over the kingdom. The princess is helped by the magical ghost of her grandmother (voice of veteran British actress Claire Bloom of Brideshead Revisted, The Haunting, BBC Hamlet, etc, fame) and a brave boy from the village. The goblins are pleasantly scary but mostly farcical - my daughter thought them funny, and she also liked the songs. The big difference this film has with the usual Saturday morning fare, and even many Disney movies, is that it is not nearly so loud. My four year-old loved it, but her eight year old cousin, while not disliking it, was clearly perplexed by the lack of volume and found the story somewhat strange. It might be best for children who have not been exclusively inundated with typical Saturday morning TV. Most of the voices are British, a few are American...
on June 10, 2013
I have watched this lots of times over the years and never get tired of it. It's a strong allegory of faith in an unseen God, and even as my maturity level changes over the years (I was probably around 5 when I first saw it and am now 25), I still can laugh at the same things (some of the dumb characters and the theme song, and the cat's whiney squeal) and still love seeing the underground caverns where the goblins live. I think the thing that I have gotten out of it the most over the years has been a sense of visual imagination, and I think you'd know what I mean if you watched it and saw the way the forest, caverns, and castle are drawn. It also has a powerful message of faith in what you know God has shown you, even if what you know doesn't make sense in your present situation. I think all could relate to the sense of doubt the main character has about whether something that seemed so true and real is always trustworthy.
on May 9, 2014
I loved this movie when I was younger and once my boyfriend got it for me as a gift, I had no choice but to share that love. The movie shipped over quickly, as far as I know, and the Disc itself is in awesome condition. The movie aged well in my opinion and if you haven't seen it. Go see it! Like now. Overall, I love the movie and happy my boy found it at such a great price!
on September 23, 2010
this DVD was definetly worth getting.It was a blast from the past for my sister and I who haven't seen the movie since we were about 10.I got it for my sister for her birthday and she loved it.I was very happy with the condition and the price.It was worth every dollar and cent
on November 27, 2013
Use to love this as a kid and I am collecting the older classics for when my hubby and I have kids. And it's just as great as when I was a kid. All the movies and shows for kids now are getting so dark.