Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > The Da Vinci Code forum

The Priory of Sion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 21, 2006 8:23:56 AM PDT
Lance Ortiz says:
I thought this was interesting.

Brown relies on the 1982 publication, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, for his information on the Priory of Sion. The authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail relied on documents provided them by Pierre Plantard, who spend time in jail for fraud in 1953. Plantard and three other men started a small social club in 1956 called the Priory of Sion... Through the 1960s and the 1970s, Plantard created a series of documents 'proving' the existence of a bloodline descending from Mary Magdalene, through the kings of France, down to the present day to include (surprise!) Pierre Plantard.... In 1993... Plantard, under oath, admitted he had made up the whole Priory scheme.

Check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Plantard

for more info.

Thoughts???

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2006 9:33:33 AM PDT
It's nice to see that someone can do some research for themselves on questionable material from this book. I'm getting tired of people who assume it is all true just because someone put it in a book and said it was. My favorite quote I have heard so far is, "They wouldn't publish it if it wasn't true." Well I guess there is no such thing as a fiction section.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2006 12:19:16 AM PDT
If you want to know of the real connections, you should read The Templar Papers; excavations have been done in Jerusalem. Interesting stuff, esp. chapter 2, re the mountain of Sion there and the essene connection. . . Plantard just "got people going". . .

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2006 3:47:28 PM PDT
Tim O'Neill says:
"you should read The Templar Papers"

Yes, because we all know the best way to check weird claims made by amateur whackos is to read another book of weird claims made by amateur whackos.

Grow some critical thinking skills and learn to detect bovine manure when you smell it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2006 1:19:00 PM PST
metalgoddess says:
well, then give some titles that are a bit more historically accurate. seriously. I'd love to know.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2006 3:19:51 AM PST
Ren says:
"I'm getting tired of people who assume it is all true just because someone put it in a book..."

Do you feel the same about the Bible itself?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 5:18:40 AM PST
Delawanna says:
Read the "Da Vinci Hoax". Debunks the Code...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2008 7:29:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2008 7:34:17 PM PDT
Ned K. Wynn says:
There is a Mount Sion, it is Mount Zion in Jerusalem, Sion is the French word for Zion. There is no "Priory" of Sion, however. Except as noted by many readers reegarding M. Plantard and his hoax.

The real Templar Papers, recently published by the Vatican, are primarily concerned with the trial of the Templars by the Curia on charges of blasphemy. The entire thing was about money. What you are referring to, the "Templar Papers". is not the actual historical volumes regarding that time in European history. That book is one more grab bag of every conspiracy theory every brought forward by the Gnostics over the past 2000 years. There is no more basis in fact for the assertions in that book than there is for most of what is in Brown's book. Using false or otherwise incorrect and mostly imaginary theories and ideas about Christ and his mother and friends in order to back up another grab bag of the same stuff isn't research. You might as well be researching the true origins of Godzilla. PS, he's imaginary!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2008 4:28:14 PM PDT
this is for everyone who thanks the da vinci code is a true story, and i quote....

"This is a work of fiction. Names, Characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2010 8:16:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2010 8:18:49 PM PDT
Chet Fakir says:
What a prankster and what an elaborate hoax. Plantard and his co-conspirators/pranksters really touched a nerve with quite a lot of people and I say hail discordia in his honor.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Da Vinci Code forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jun 21, 2006
Latest post:  Apr 23, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Da Vinci Code
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Paperback - March 28, 2006)
3.8 out of 5 stars (5,750)