5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource: well organized and easy to lead
Published on August 4, 2010 by Nici

2.0 out of 5 stars 2-minute "sessions"
The publisher advertises this DVD as follows:

"In this six-session DVD, pastor and bestselling author Timothy Keller helps churches and small groups plumb the powerful depths of Jesus' best-known parable to explore the story's characters--the younger son, the elder son, and the Father whose lavish love exceeds what either son ever expected."

I think...
Published on December 11, 2009 by GPLJR

2.0 out of 5 stars 2-minute "sessions", December 11, 2009
GPLJR (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
The publisher advertises this DVD as follows:

I think it would have been nice of them to be up front about the fact that only one of the six "sessions" is over 2 minutes long!!! I ordered this hoping it would provide adequate material for a six weeks study in our Sunday School class. The DVD will not be nearly as helpful as the advertising suggests. Be aware of this before you spend the money. Book + DVD + study guide came to around $50. In my view the $18 I paid for the DVD was not worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource: well organized and easy to lead, August 4, 2010
This review is from: The Prodigal God Discussion Guide: Finding Your Place at the Table (Paperback)
Based on a couple of reviews I read on Amazon I almost decided not to use the study. I am so glad I did though! I have lead studies in group settings for 14 years now and this one has been one of the best. It's profound in content. Well organized. Really easy to lead with little to no prep work required and yet is not overly simplistic which is so often the case when something is easier to lead. The discussion that the study has generated in our group has been deep and thought provoking. I could not be more pleased. While the discussion guide is not essential for the study it's definitely been helpful and the appendices at the back on idols is useful. The guide made breaking up into smaller sub groups possible which I found to be beneficial to take things from the general to specific and making it personally applicable. As you can tell I highly recommend 'The Prodigal God'

3.0 out of 5 stars One Great Session... but not "Six Sessions.", June 8, 2010
Michael Bishop (Lexington, MA United States) - See all my reviews
The session on this DVD is insightful and powerful. It says on the DVD cover that it contains "six captivating sessions." This is a blatant misrepresentation. There is one great session and five two minute clips from that same session. The one session is more than worth it.. but a highly disappointing misrepresentation, if not an outright lie, on the cover of the DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reflection on a Parable Worthy of Your Own Reflection, May 27, 2010
I think one of the most valuable things Keller does with this book is cause the reader to take the time this parable deserves to think hard about both the content of this parable and the context within which Jesus told it.

I have purchased 8 copies of this book already and intend to continue to give it away to both "younger brothers" and "older brothers". It is a great way to introduce people to God's "prodigal" (extravagant) grace that they too might find "a place at the table".

5.0 out of 5 stars simple, powerful, and life changing, March 2, 2010
I just finished doing the overview of this series in my small group. I almost didn't go, as I thought I knew everything there is to know about this parable. All I can say is that I was way wrong!! Keller explains this parable simply, truthfully and insightfully. I was truly blown away by some of historical background and by all of the discussion material this short dvd can provide. I think my group could have talked for several more hours, and I can't wait for next week. This dvd is easy to understand for people without a lot of biblical knowledge, and has lots to offer a mature Christian as well.

So many people who are Christians fall into the role of the older brother--being a good person, and following Jesus...but for what purpose? The younger brother is the obvious sinner here, but really both brothers are sinners and both are separated from love and relationship with their father. I think this could be a huge eye opener and wake up call for the Christian church today and has the potential to transform hearts, churches, communities and even the world.

Bottom Line: simple yet powerful--tons of discussion material--power to transform lives and light fires within believers and pre-believers alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Application of a Modern View of the Prodigal, October 10, 2009
Keller provides a valuable tool to help the reader comprehend and apply the truth of his superb book: The Prodigal God. This study guide augments the book and the DVD as it assists you in digging deeper into the transcendent truths of the Parable of the Prodigal Son. The author furnishes solid biblical applications to warmly lead one to a greater love of God and fellow man. This is an essential resource for small groups or family devotions. I would recommend using it if you have an unbelieving spouse and God gives you the opportunity to sit down and study Keller's book with them in an intimate setting. The two of you will be changed forever.
Truth, Knowledge and the Reason for God: The Defense of the Rational Assurance of Christianity

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of Your Time, January 15, 2010
Few books are worth reading straight through. I find that I start jumping pages to get to the point. Half way through this book, I thought that the author had exhausted the subject and I was feeling like it was winding down. Wrong, he just kept adding to the topic without being boring or redundant. As I read I found myself saying, 'Well duh, of course that is what this passage is saying why didn't I see that before?' Those 'duh' moments are priceless. I actually really enjoyed this book. All of it, and that is rare. Good Job. I was so impressed with his unconventional thought on this passage of scripture that I gave a copy to all the leaders of my church for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a small group discussion, April 24, 2010
Our small group is using this book for a study and find it very challenging. It has fostered great discussion. We don't look at the parable of the prodigal son the same.

3.0 out of 5 stars DVD?, May 9, 2013
I didn't realize when I bought it that the discussion questions were also based on the DVD. Our group was only going through the actual "Prodigal God" book. So, it didn't help our group very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Prodigal God, December 27, 2011
If you're seeking truth beyond the printed pages of scripture to this powerful parable, then I recommend you read this short, yet powerful, in depth study of the parable of the Prodigal Son. Inappropriately named, the Prodigal son, by tradition, it really speaks of the extravagent love and mercy of a loving,forgiving father. If you're not satisfied with traditional interpretations of, what I consider, the most powerful and profound parable taught by Jesus, then pick up this book as fast as you can. Keller takes you behind the scenes to study the Jewish traditions of what was happening behind the words of the youngest sons desire for his portion of the inheritance, and the extravagent, grace filled (Prodigal - true meaning), love of the father for of his sons who were both "missing the mark". Tradition has taught far too long on the "sins" of the younger son, neglecting an even greater trespass of the older son. The book is also formated for small group study, with a DVD presentation of Keller's teaching. This book changed the way my congregation views the Prodigal "GOD" parable. No more is it to be entitled the prodigal son parable, that is historically, biblically and by definition in gross error of the true meaning of this parable. Don't take my word for it, buy the book first and read it for yourself. I highly recommend it for your personal enlightenment and just possibly change your view of God forever.

The Prodigal God Discussion Guide: Finding Your Place at the Table
The Prodigal God Discussion Guide: Finding Your Place at the Table by Timothy Keller (Paperback - August 11, 2009)
$10.99 $8.76