5.0 out of 5 stars Liberty University Textbook

Published 3 months ago by oken k sundal

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Liberty University Textbook, June 5, 2009
WriterlyWife (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Promise and the Blessing: A Historical Survey of the Old and New Testaments (Hardcover)
This is the best survey I've read so far. It gives a very clear picture of the history of what was going on in Israel as the books were being written. It ties each book of the Bible together really well in conjunction with what was going on throughout the rest of Scripture and why it was important to the original audience as well as to current readers. I will definitely refer back to this book as a recourse when questions come up in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read!, August 17, 2009
I had to read this book for a Bible class but I loved it so much I recommended it to others as a devotional to read along with the Bible. They also enjoyed it! If you want to be enriched in God's knowledge while also getting a better historical understanding of the times of Moses, David, Jesus, Paul and so on this is the book to read! God Bless you all who choose to buy and read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Promises and Blessings, August 8, 2011
I have done a regular men's study - I truly wish I would have had this reference years ago. I love the way it approaches everything. The information is so good and easy to cross reference. A must for any serious ongoing study.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, October 24, 2010
I also read this book for a Bible class in college. This book is so well written and tells the story of the Bible so well that I had a hard time putting it down. It was hard to believe it was a textbook.

I have always been a Christian, but never considered myself a Bible scholar. This book helped me understand the Bible so much more. It really ties everything together.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about the Bible and its teachings.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Promise and the Blessing: Is a great historical survey of both the O.T and N.T., September 20, 2013
I liked many aspects of this book especially how it gave a brief over view of each of the pages most important context on the side bar of the page, making it easy to reference for later. I also like how it would grab many of the issues that might be controversial for some and expound in a little more detail, sharing some valuable insights.

This book is a quick overview which can be said of most survey style books. For those who desire a more in depth explanations of the individual books of the Bible I recommend individual book commentary's such as PNTC or NICNT as well as others that can address in more details some of the historical and literary issue that you find in most books of the Bible. A quick note to those who may not know much about commentaries there are several different types I like to break them down into three simple categories; however, they can be a combination of the three and may include other styles that are listed. These commentaries can include but may not be limited to exegetical, ex-positional and topical. Exegetical commentaries usually give exegetic approach which tries to extract from the book you are studying both historical and literary context. Ex-positional commentaries simply put are more sermon like in nature and give a lot of personal insights to the specific book one is studying as well as some applications that may or may not fit the text. While topical commentaries focus on topical teachings of the Bible. These brief explanation in no way explain some of the other details that may be found in these commentaries and it really depends on what the reader may want to gain in there reading of the Bible, which will determine which way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!, December 21, 2013
I gave this book as a gift to someone in ministry and they loved it. It has lots of detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, December 6, 2013
I had this for my class. I gave it to my pastor, but I loved it so much I am buying it again. This is a great book. It does nto have the feel of a textbook at all. Simply amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, November 9, 2013
Fascinating reading.This is one textbook I'm actually enjoying! Informative, but in a relaxed, rather casual style. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, June 14, 2013
good overview of old testament and new testament
very up to date and pictures to help visual people like myself
great reference but easy enough read

4.0 out of 5 stars This helped me learn better about the NT outside the Bible, May 7, 2013
I used it for the New Testament this go around and is a pretty good survey book. It takes a secular approach at times, but I guess that is necessary for learning a bit about surveys. Maybe I am overly critical. I just like books that takes stances, especially when I think it is the correct one. Not that what I think is correct, but that I learned correctly from it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›