5.0 out of 5 stars Xtra Info: Special Features
For some reason Amazon is not listing in Product Details what is actually included in the 2 disc DVD other than a movie description. So for those like me who like to know what Xtras (+ Digital Copy) you're getting here it is:

Alternate Ending
Deleted Scenes
Audio Commentary
Featurette
"Set Antics": Outtakes And Other Absurdities...
Published on September 19, 2009 by Rory

3.0 out of 5 stars formulaic and generic
The Proposal is an average romantic comedy. Perhaps there is more comedy than romance, but none of the comedy is particularly original or smart. No new ground is broken. If you like romantic comedies, you will probably like it; if you don't, you probably won't. The movie could serve as a commercial for Alaskan tourism (or wherever they actually filmed the Alaska scenes.)...
Published on January 1, 2010 by Carrie Dunham-LaGree

"Set Antics": Outtakes And Other Absurdities
Subtitles: French, Spanish
Disc Two: Digital Copy of Feature Film

5.0 out of 5 stars Betcha can't watch this just once, October 1, 2009
I saw this at the theatre 3 times. It is so funny. I was laughing out loud all through the movie. This is not a chick flick. Lots of men were in the theatre with me and they were laughing louder than me and my girlfriends. The acting doesn't get much better than this. The director has to be pleased with this one because these actors showed up knowing just what to do. Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds were so good together. Ryan was great even when he wasn't speaking. Just his facial expressions were hysterically funny. He also gave singing a try which was even funnier. Betty White played his grandmother and was as good as ever. Sandra and Ryan try hard not to like each other but it just didn't work. Sandra Bullock looks great. Girl can't help it, she is just too pretty. I don't write much about the story because it is described on the Amazon listing and I don't want to spoil anything. Go watch this movie. It is the comedy of the year. I like spontaneous type comedy and not fake made up comedy and The Proposal is just that. You will watch this movie over and over.

4.0 out of 5 stars I DO (love this comedy)..., September 13, 2009
If you have just survived another tough week at the office and are looking for a weekend pick me up, "The Proposal" is your sure bet. Yes, I laughed outloud often, and so did most of the audience. The comment frequently heard as the credits rolled was: "Ooohhh, that was sooo goooood!".

The story: a tough lady-boss (Bullock) is being deported to Canada for willful non-compliance with the US immigration department. To save herself, she directs her doormat of an assistant (Reynolds) to marry her. He reluctantly agrees to play along, after she "helps" him understand the virtues of being employed. If you think you know where this story is going... well, you are right. The "happily ever after" cannot be avoided. 'Tis a comedy after all...What is fresh is how skillfully the writers and the director allow the story to veer away from the "happily ever after" course, keeping us on the edge of our seats until the satisfying end, which we have known all along was bound to arrive.

The chemistry between the two leads is another pleasant surprise. I am not a particular fan of either Bullock or Reynolds. Though each smoking hot and talented, neither has made many inspired project choices. However, the roles here suit the pair's natural acting styles reasonably well, which in turn further enhances the believability of their characters. The look of constipated doom on Reynold's face, as he's being informed he's engaged, is side-splitting! I do regret Bullock does not play "mean" better; the intended juxtaposition of her supposedly tough as nails character against her overly compliant secretary is lost at times. We are TOLD she is a witchy boss, and yet she comes accross nothing more then efficient (Sandra: call me! I'll give you some pointers. In return you can teach me how to find a secretary as hot as Reynolds ;0) ).

Another gem in this comedy is Ms Betty White (of "The Golden Girls" fame), an octogenarian in real life as well as playing one in "The Proposal". She has made an art of delivering "campy" with emotional intelligence. She does not dissapoint here either.

Final verdict? Will this film change the course of modern cinematography?

Not a fat chance!

Did it chase my blah's away until Monday morning?

AFFIRMATIVE!!! ...Till Wednesday... at least!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Extras for Decent Time Waster, October 13, 2009
Cubist (United States) - See all my reviews
There are two deleted scenes with optional commentary by director Anne Fletcher and writer Peter Chiarelli. There is a nice scene with Andrew's parents (Nelson and Steenburgen). We also see Margaret and Andrew getting a little more comfortable with each other. They are nice enough scenes but not essential and one can see why they were cut.

There is an alternate ending with optional commentary. Fletcher and Chiarelli talk about why they didn't use this ending and another one that they didn't use as well. The humour in this scene is much broader than the rest of the film and seems out of place.

"Set Antics: Outtakes and Other Absurdities from The Proposal" is a montage of the cast goofing around on set. It looks like they had a lot of fun making this film.

Finally, there is an audio commentary by Fletcher and Chiarelli. They start off explaining the dichotomy between the two main characters. Fletcher says that Bullock loved the screenplay and gave Chiarelli all kinds of notes to make her character nastier. He talks about the mechanics of the story while she talks about the challenge of working on location. This is a fairly decent track by two people clearly proud of their film.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Guaranteed Good Time, October 15, 2009
Gerald M. Reeves (El Cajon, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Sometimes you watch a movie just for the fun of it. This is one of those movies. It will never rank alongside "Gone with the Wind" or "A Streetcar Named Desire" as a great movie, but damn, it's fun. Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds are completely hilarious (not to mention very easy on the eyes) and have absolutely great chemistry. Both are at the top of their game and turn in exceptional comedic performances. Toss in an award-winning performance by the amazing Betty White, a solid cast of outstanding actors and you're guaranteed a good time. Sure, the plot is predictable, but who cares? When you have all that talent on the screen in one movies, and are too busy laughing to analyze it, it doesn't matter. I rented the movie, but now I intend to buy it. It was that good!
If I were just rating the actors, it would be a five-star movie in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, November 1, 2009
I am in no way a big fan of romantic comedies, but I found myself buying this film anyway. I had heard plenty of good things about the film (that I was very skeptic about)and these are two actors who I've got quite a bit of respect for. Most movies don't really get me to laugh. We're lucky if you even get a smirk out of me. Yet I found myself sitting on my living room floor laughing harder than I have in a long time. Now as for why I like this film:

There's something to be said for acting without speaking and Ryan Reynolds has this down. His facial expressions can tell some real stories.

I'm a fan of "The Office" and seeing Oscar in this role was a real treat despite how awkward it was at times. But awkward in a funny/good way.

Betty White is her usual adorable self. I can't think of anyone else to replace her.

Sandra bullock did an interesting job of making an evil boss lovable.

The location was interesting. How many of these movies are set in New York or the Bahamas? Not this one.

No sex scenes. As odd as it is for an 18 year old to say, "I hate sex scenes," I do. I want to watch a movie with my mom and not feel extremely awkward. Plus I find it really annoying when two people who hardly know each other are jumping into bed the first chance they get. I wouldn't really call that "Romantic". It just comes off as a cheap way to sell a movie. This movie had NONE of that.

And it isn't extremely predictable. I like to predict endings just from previews and I thought I had this one nailed, but 30 minutes in, I began to wonder if I bet on the right horse.

Now this isn't the kind of movie that's going to win awards for special effects or best musical number, but there's something about the simplicity that makes it all the more enjoyable. It really manages to stand on it's own.

Even my dad, "Hater of anything not made in the 70's," was laughing with us.

You'll see what I mean if you decide to see it, and I hope you do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super clever and witty, August 23, 2009
I have to say that with movie prices nowadays, I went to see this movie with high expectations. And in my opinion it didnt disappoint. I paid to see this movie 5 times. The chemistry between Ryan and Sandra is so thick that you can cut it with a knife. Even though movies in this genre have that one issue of everyone knowing how it is going to end... The proposal kept me on my toes. So now I have to buy it when it comes out on dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars film entertainment at its best, August 19, 2011
Judith Agee (SmallTown, Indiana USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Proposal (Amazon Instant Video)
I admit upfront that nothing Sandra could do would be un-watchable for me. This particular performance is exactly why. She was radiant and real and just perfect. Casting Ryan Reynolds was brilliant. The supporting cast, especially three well proven actors....
Craig T Nelson, Mary Steenburgen and the indefatigable Betty White just took their supporting roles and owned them.
I loved the scenery! Just everything about this was what a film should be. Very entertaining.
Please, Sandra Bullock too old. That is just ignorant. Way more than 5 stars. I will be taking this DVD out once or twice a year just like While You Were Sleeping and Speed and The Blind side.
Oh and thank you filmmakers for keeping it clean. The pickins are mighty slim these days for characters who speak without an expletive every other word.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Fantastic, October 10, 2009
canopy (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
In an interview I saw on the internet, Sandra Bullock says that it is simply unfair that this movie has no other category to be in than in the "chick flick" genre. I guess this would have to depend on her definition of a chick flick, though. Cuz, for me, this is a spectacular chick flick. It has all the right ingredients: funny, amazing chemistry, beautiful people, hilarious family, perfect plot and did I say funny? I've almost never been disappointed with Sandra Bullock's movies, whether it be a chick flick or a thriller, but I was soo happy to see Ryan Reynolds getting attention for hitting it out of the ball park - which, I believe, he has been doing for years. I've been eyeing this actor since the "Two Guys and a Girl" days and he is truly the new comic 'it' man. I can't really think of any old timers to compare him with - but I think he is in the same league as John Krasinski, another fine comedian/actor of this generation. I think real comedians, the ones that become 'great,' have the ability to be hilarious and also be real and deliver a performance that pulls at your heart - again, Ryan Reynolds hits a home run with this. Yes, I'm a fan.

This is just a feel-good fun movie. I wanted to watch this again, right after credits rolled. Seriously. I will also say, this movie is a comedy first. It will be an enjoyable time for both men and women.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Winning 'Proposal', August 19, 2009
'The Proposal' was a genuinely sweet, funny, and charming movie. Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock, the film's two main stars, had some great chemistry that made all of their scenes together quite interesting. I must say, all of the actors turned into great contributions. Keep an eye for Malin Akerman (of Watchmen fame) and Oscar Nunez (part of The Office's stellar cast). Of course, this was a romantic comedy through and through- you could see the ending coming from just about the film's start. But that's really part of the fun, isn't it? 'The Proposal' was a laugh-out-loud hilarious movie with just the right amounts of charm and even a dash of drama. I have no doubts that the Blu-ray, with its included digital copy, won't disappoint.

The Proposal