4.0 out of 5 stars "The (fun) Pruning Book"
Not only is The Pruning Book useful for our North Temperate Zone climate, but it is a joy to read. Of course, we all know that before pruning comes planting, which subject the author touches-on in his chapter on fruits and nuts.
Published on December 30, 2000 by H. Bell

3.0 out of 5 stars Pruning Book
I bought this because I did several flower and shrub gardens last fall and I wanted to trim them up for the winter. This is an older book, so I was a little disappointed that it was more about trees and big bushes than flowers.
It is interesting for the gardener who does trees and shrubs. It just didn't meet my needs.
Published 23 months ago by Ruth

4.0 out of 5 stars "The (fun) Pruning Book", December 30, 2000
This review is from: The Pruning Book (Hardcover)
I feel it's important to note that Author Lee Reich holds a doctorate in horticulture with an extensive background in pruning research. With regard to pruning trees, he emphasizes the fact that slow does it -- over a period of several years for both young and old. Regarding plants that can be intensively pruned, Lee points out how to exploit to our advantage the tendency of many woody plants to sprout prolifically. Such plants include hedges, topiary, standards, fruit etc.. Yet, he warns us against the heavy pruning of health-compromised woody plants. Dr. Reich, as well, underscores the fact that proper pruning includes an emphasis on minimalist pruning.
Lee hopes that we have properly sited our major woody plants -- planted the right tree in the right place, so to speak. He, nevertheless, also deals with those fun 'though labor intensive pruning forms -- pollarding and pleaching. Lee lists a number of fast-growing deciduous trees that "take" to pollarding as well as listing some trees with strong, flexible branches for pleaching. This is not a serious book of lists, just a productive attempt at teaching us how to form our own lists.
Good advice abounds throughout including apropos diagrams and photos. Plant specific advice is often augmented by easy to read tables in many of the categories of pruning that he discusses. Lee even covers something we forget to include in the subject of pruning -- mowing. And, necessarily, he does justice to the different pruning needs of the various maturational stages of our woodies. This includes training of the young plant as well as maintenance of the mature, and the finer points of renovation of the old and neglected.
Lee's advice includes the "why," not just the "how" that most pruning books concentrate upon. He makes the often dry subject of pruning easy to swallow with a spoon full of all sorts of interesting and helpful information... I bet you didn't know that Japanese wisteria twines clockwise while the Chinese species climbs counterclockwise. I'll leave you with a final observation on the latter. After seeing numerous structures literally torn apart by wisteria, I'm going to plant it as a tree -- per a commonly used method suggested by the author.
I love my pruning tome done by the American Horticultural Society, but, The Pruning Book is also "a keeper."

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pruning Book, January 8, 2007
This review is from: The Pruning Book (Paperback)
I am still currently reading the book. It's packed full of good things. The best thing about it is, if you have a specific type of plant you can go directly to that section and it gives you a clear and detailed way of pruning the plant. I think its a must have for any gardener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, clear advice for pruning of all sorts, January 27, 2008
Andrew Kent (Westborough, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pruning Book (Paperback)
I first encountered this book at the local library, and liked it so much I wanted to own it myself. I couldn't part with it. The writing style, illustrations, organization, and advice are all clear, straightforward, and sensible. In addition, the author's enthusiasm for the subject makes this more than a reference guide, and during long winters it can serve as an inspiration for the seasons ahead.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pruning Book by Lee Reich, April 12, 2008
This review is from: The Pruning Book (Paperback)
The day I received this book, I immediately began to use it. I had wanted to make a hedge of some beautiful crape mytrle by our back door. The book gave detailed instructions and pictures. The mytrle has already started to leaf into a bush after only a few weeks. I know they will be perfect and I would not have known exactly how it should be done without the book. I had a general idea, but the book's instructions were much better. I am anxiously awaiting fall for some other pruning projects. Pruning season had ended for a number of bushes and trees before I could get pruning accomplished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Pruning Advice for Espalier, September 1, 2009
M Sharkey (orcas island, wa USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pruning Book (Paperback)
Reading the section on pruning espaliers (plus the Plant Response to Pruning) gave me an "Aha" moment. While most espalier pruning articles I had read offered only advice on shaping and where to cut, he explained the reasoning behind the type of cuts one makes, why the tree reacts the way it does, and some of the issues to look out for. He writes in a style that is easy to understand. I have two espaliers (cherry and apple) that I left alone all summer because I was intimidated by the lack of knowledge I had at the time. Not anymore! Well, sadly it's getting to be too late to make the pruning cuts needed, but this winter I will start in earnest to make these trees beautiful and (hopefully) full of fruit next year!

4.0 out of 5 stars For the gardening-challenged, April 1, 2008
Siobhan (Petaluma, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pruning Book (Paperback)
Best pruning book I've come across. I'm not a "gardener" so it helps that it really explains what you need to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE PRUNING BOOK, August 13, 2013
janet aronoff (Bloomfield Hills, MI, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pruning Book (Hardcover)
ABSOLUYELY EVERYTHING I WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT PRUNING ILLUSTRATIONS WERE VERY HELPFUL ALSO THERE WERE MANY SUGGESTIONS WHEN THERE IS DIFFICULTY PRUNING I WOULDN'T BE WITHOUT THIS BOOK

4.0 out of 5 stars Pruning for the home garden, July 19, 2013
This review is from: The Pruning Book (Paperback)
If you ever wanted to improve the appearance of your front yard or give your orchard a lift in productivity this is the "How To " manual. Sage advice from an old friend who kept a pear orchard or a formal garden for 25 years is great but if you lack such an aquantence, this book by Lee Reich gives you a great tutorial covering years of experience. Taking the time to read and digest this excellent book will give you a good understanding of where to start on correcting those flaws your neighberhood could do without or start with fresh eyes with an old fruit tree
That you thought was past saving. Grow more and enjoy those beautiful plantings.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, January 15, 2013
This review is from: The Pruning Book (Hardcover)
It is the best book on pruning we have ever seen. It is inclusive of all fruits with details pertaining to each. Illustrations are clear. Wording is easy to understand and follow. It also covers the tools of the trade and differing pruning methods.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pruning Book, January 12, 2013

The Pruning Book
The Pruning Book by Lee Reich (Hardcover - 1997)
Used & New from: $0.01