Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: CardsChange

on February 26, 2009
As a professional reader, I love this deck for so many reasons. The artwork is absolutely beautiful, eye-catching and thought-inspiring. The gold gilding on the edges is a nice touch of class that reminds the reader that the deck is a sacred tool and should be treated with reverance and respect. The images really draw the attention in and invite you to take a closer look at what's going on under the surface of things. They will work wonderfully for a card meditation as well.

Additionally, I love the fact that certain cards have been omitted from the standard Tarot deck...John has taken out the 10's of each suit, as well as all court cards. In my opinion, this is an improvement over tradition as the cards that are left out are ones that have been notoriously known to confuse a reader (especially one who is just beginning to learn to read). Being numbered 1-9 also works well to incorporate numerology in a reading, which I believe is very helpful.

I was surprised -and delighted- to see that the deck includes a card for each major chakra, and I thought it was a brilliant addition. The suits of the Minor Arcana are now referred to as "Physical", "Emotions", "Mental", and "Spirit"...which again would be helpful to a beginning reader who may otherwise get easily "lost" in the symbolism of Pentacles, Cups, Swords and Wands.

Along with the deck, which comes neatly and attractively packaged in a sturdy lidded storage box, John has included a very helpful guidebook to assist the reader in understanding the symbolism found in each card.

The bottom line is that this deck is very easy to pick up and read with, visually stunning and associates well with the various facets of real human existence, from the mundane happenings of daily life here in this physical world to the deeply personal spiritual journey we are all participants in. I will happily recommend this deck to students and fellow readers alike!
on January 14, 2009
This is a beautifully illustrated deck that recalls the symbolism and archetypes of the Marseilles and Rider-Waite tarot, but has a much needed update for today's world. The faces drawn on this deck are very much human, yet very much of spirit, and draw you in to the esoteric meaning of the numbers, colors, and other classic symbolism.

The major arcana are still intact, and John Holland has wisely included the 7 major chakras in this deck, reminding us to check our, "Spiritual Batteries" as he calls them.

I highly recommend this deck for tarot enthusiasts and newcomers alike!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2011
I have several different Tarot decks I've acquired over the years. Some are just for fun (The Housewives' Tarot, Silicon Valley Tarot) and others I've used (Gilded Tarot and others).

THIS IS THE ONE I'M NEVER WITHOUT - I keep it in my purse and also have a "backup" deck of it. It's hard to say what I like better about this deck - its beauty or its clarity. Both are phenomenal.

The vibrant colors are the rich tones I prefer over the washed-out pastels of so many other decks. The images themselves are almost uniformly wonderful. As with any good Tarot deck, I keep seeing symbols or different interpretations as I use these cards. Also, the gold paint on the cards' edges gives the deck a lovely look and, despite the number of readings I've given with it (therefore, all that shuffling and handling) over the past few months, the paint is only now beginning to fade just a bit.

The cards are noticeably bigger than a deck of standard playing cards and the card stock itself is solid; I recommend anyone with a new deck spend some time shuffling it and getting to know its feel, in addition to just "getting to know" any new deck. I've found that I can shuffle them poker-style but I ask my querents not to, because it would be so easy bend one by accident that way; instead, I ask them to use the palm-based interleaving style or the "moosh them all around in front of you" style. :)

If I have to say, I'd say the clarity beats out the beauty in terms of why this is my favorite "working" deck. Each card has a word or phrase on it that makes its meaning clear -- for example, what would normally be The Fool is captioned instead "New Beginnings", which makes it so much easier for a querent to relate to and recall later. Naturally, there are innumerable interpretations to be made depending on any given card's position in a reading, the querent, the nature of the issue, etc. But I've found that it's much easier for querents to understand the readings AND remember them later, with the "plain English" descriptions, as opposed to the mystical nature of most Tarot decks, which require an amount of education and experience to understand.

If I have a complaint, it's that the booklet that comes with it is disappointing. I do understand it would cost a lot to print in color or in a larger format, but the booklet is difficult to use. Fortunately, for me anyway, I've found that I really don't need to refer to it for meanings. The cards tell me right up front - literally!

A few "heads-up" notes for those shopping for a deck:
.....(1) This is not technically a "true" Tarot deck, in that it does not have any Court cards or any 10s -- from a purist's point of view, it's more of an oracle deck and the title does call it both a Tarot and an oracle deck, so take your choice of what kind of deck you consider it to be. I've found that it works wonderfully with any Tarot spread I've tried it on, and my querents love it, even the ones who are already proficient with Tarot.
.....(2) Instead of the traditional suits of Wands, Cups, Pentacles, and Swords, it uses Spiritual, Emotional, Physical, and Mental, with identifying colors that correspond with chakras (red for Physical, etc.). The suits correspond just fine with traditional Tarot and the meaning of each card within each suit is essentially unchanged from a standard deck.
.....(3) It also comes a card for each of the seven major chakras, which are the same size with the same back design and same gold edges as the other cards. It's a nice touch but I've found that I tend not to include them unless I know the querent is already familiar with what chakras are and how they work. For someone who isn't, it kind makes the reading stagger if you have to stop and explain with a chakra is and I even had a couple of people who seemed intimidated by the idea of "another whole layer" of things to understand so, since I like the clarity of this deck so much, I tend to err on the side of caution and usually don't include them when I'm reading for people I don't know, although you may of course feel differently.

In my opinion, this deck offers the best of two worlds: With its evocative and expressive imagery and its easy-to-understand relevant captions, it's at once enthralling and easy to use. Also, this deck is available as an iPhone/iPod app; I've heard rumors of an Android based version but haven't seen that confirmed (not much about one coming for WM, Blackberry, Symbian, or other mobile OSs).

BOTTOM LINE: Beautiful deck, easily understood by reader and querent, well made. It might become one of your favorites too!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2009
I'm no tarot reader, but my wife and I have been using John Holland's The Psychic Tarot Oracle Deck as a daily intention guide (asking "What should I pay attention to today?") by choosing one card a day, and the results have been uncannily positive, meaningful and accurate. Of course, for those interested, the hefty little guidebook that comes with the deck offers a brief guide on how to use the cards. My point being that non-tarot users like me can appreciate these cards, too.

I, personally, love the gold ridge that outlines the deck (giving it a rich feeling), the detailed attention of the artwork (each card evokes an emotion within me that further mirrors a message), and the thorough explanation of each card in the guidebook (to help the psychically-challenged, like myself). This is an elegant tarot deck that I believe tarot readers and non-tarot readers alike will fully enjoy.

~ Bob Olson, Editor
on December 17, 2008
I just received these today and this has to be one of the most beautiful cards decks I have ever seen. The artwork is so detailed and vibrant. It is obvious that a lot of care and thought was put into each card. The more I look at them, the more detail and colors I see.
Every card reader has their favorite deck and I think I've found mine!
VINE VOICEon June 29, 2011
The things that I love about these cards are:

* the colors. They pop. If you read with color as symbol, you will love them.
* they are updated. This deck lacks the court cards, but adds chakra cards, so there are fewer cards. It has a more modern feel to it that I think will make it easier for the struggling reader to catch on quickly.
* they have "cheater captions". Instead of saying things like "The World" or "One of Cups," they have captions like "Power" and "Love Begins." No mistaking what that card is about, eh?
* ANYONE can read these the same day they bought them and do a fairly good job. Not a lot of study is required to get up to speed quickly. (this is NOT true of so many other decks).

I think it would be really cheesy to read with these in a professional reading. They are soooo easy to read that the person you are sitting for could read her own. I think that makes the reader obsolete. Of course there is always the element of interpretation, but I would feel cheated if I went to a reader who used these cards.

I got this deck because it spoke to me. My deck of 20+ years was feeling stale, but after using these, my favorite deck has come alive again. I really like both. I think these cards are great for first timers, but are also good for old timers like me.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
"This fascinating deck works for everyone--both novices *and* individuals who are more in tune with their psychic capability." - From the guidebook

Psychic medium John Holland has created his first oracle deck largely based on many of the archetypes of the Tarot. Although Holland says the Psychic Tarot Oracle Deck is a Tarot deck, it is not.

In traditional Tarot, there are 22 Major Arcana cards, 40 Minor Arcana cards (Ace through 10), and 16 court cards. In this 65-card deck, there are 22 Major Arcana cards renamed to reflect traditional Tarot energies, but there are no 10's in this deck, nor are there any court cards. In fact, there are also seven additional cards based on the seven chakras.

In the 170-page companion booklet to the Psychic Tarot Oracle Deck, Holland doesn't explain these omissions or acknowledge the structure of a traditional Tarot deck, which is unfortunate, because it could very well confuse individuals wanting to learn the Tarot, and expecting Holland to provide accurate basics.

These gorgeous cards measure approximately 5 x 3 ½ inches and have the lovely gilt edging that many recent Hay House deck have had (such as Doreen Virtue's decks). Each card is numbered, with a keyword or phrase on the bottom to aid in interpretation. The backs are fully reversible, although Holland doesn't recommend using reversals with the Psychic Tarot Oracle Deck.

For those more familiar with Rider-Waite inspired Tarot decks and elemental associations, Holland's color correspondences for the Minor Arcana are unusual, making it difficult to associate the cards with traditional suits by memory alone.

For example, the Emotions suit is colored green (corresponding to Cups/Water in traditional decks), the Physical suit is red (corresponding to Coins/Earth), the Mental suit is Indigo (Swords/Air) and the Spirit suit is Violet (corresponding to Wands/Fire).

Some of the card names and keywords in the Psychic Tarot Oracle Deck include:

* 1 Awareness (corresponding to The Magician)
* 4 Authority (Emperor)
* 10 Destiny (Wheel of Fortune)
* 15 Temptation (Devil)
* 16 Disruption (Tower)
* 18 Shadow (Moon)
* 20 Truth (Judgement)
* Physical 3 - Recognition and Reward (3 of Coins)
* Emotions 4 - Discontent and Boredom (4 of Cups)
* Mental 7 - Deception and Envy (7 of Swords)
* Spirit 8 - Accelerated Motion (8 of Wands)

The artistic renderings of Tarot archetypes in this deck are original, vibrant and evocative; in fact, it's one of the most attractive decks I've ever seen.

But reading with The Psychic Tarot Oracle Deck is...another story. One time I used them and received a very odd message that was diametrically opposed to the state I had been in for weeks (which was joyful, content and energetic). The cards I drew were Emotions 8 (Emotional Withdrawal) and Mental 9 (Suffering in Silence). I was surprised at this message that seemed so out of place.

Well, two days later, I pulled a muscle in my back while out shopping that literally put me out of commission for over a week. I was in excruciating pain from muscle spasms and had to be in a recliner for days. I literally had to "suffer in silence" because crying out from the painful muscle spasms was scaring my 10-year old and I had to "swallow" my pain, especially in the mornings, for fear of waking him up or frightening him.

I did another reading after I became well, a few days ago, and these particular cards actually told me what I *had* experienced...the state I just passed through. I decided to shuffle again for general present insight into my life, to give the Psychic Tarot Oracle Deck a chance to speak to my current life direction/state, and drew two more cards that are unusual: Emotions 4 Discontent and Boredom and Mental 3 Heartache and Loss (neither state that I have experienced in years, actually).

I can't figure out why these cards have been so overwhelmingly off kilter and negative for me, even though there was some "scary accurate" aspects to the readings. Handling them actually gives me the heebie geebies (something I can assure I have *never* experienced before when using *any* oracle, decks or otherwise).

I've handled literally hundreds of Tarot and oracle decks--even ones some might considered "dark"--and I've never had a sense of foreboding like I do with the Psychic Tarot Oracle Deck.

And, frankly, it's with heavy heart to report this, because the Psychic Tarot Oracle Deck contains the most stunning renderings of Tarot archetypes that I've ever seen--images that very much resonate with me. And, my experience with seeing John Holland on TV and reading his books have been very positive and filled with great vibes.

It's inexplicable, really.

If you enjoy beautiful oracle cards and want to become acquainted with some of Tarot's archetypes, you may very well want to try the Psychic Tarot Oracle Deck. I sincerely wish I had a better experience with these cards over the last few weeks that I've used them, but even though I purchased them through at full price, I'm afraid I'll likely never use this deck again for divination (although I may use it for conscious journaling and contemplation).

(To see 15 images from this deck, visit the Reviews--Decks section at [...])

-- Janet Boyer, author of The Back in Time Tarot Book (Hampton Roads Publishing)
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2009
WOW! John Holland, you have created a masterpiece in these cards! Not only are the 65 gold guilded cards beautifuly illustrated, but the little guidebookhas just the right amount of info on how to use the cards, without boxing you in with rules, or details. By using colors, symbology, shapes, words, spreads, divination, numerology, and chakra , and imagination to help us develope intuitive insights, John Has left us plenty of play with these cards After clearing my deck, I shuffled, and asked a 1 card question pertaining to where I am at in my spiritual work on myself. The card I pulled was the yellow chakra card...and BINGO, that is exactly where I had left off in a healing session on myself! I LOVE THESE CARDS!!!
on December 26, 2008
These cards are a delight, beautifully illustrated. The booklet is also a wonderful compliment to using the deck. These will be most helpful to the novice and seasoned alike. John has been successful in creating another wonderful tool to assisting those who wish to further develop their God given abilities.
on May 12, 2011
The cards are beautiful but the book does not explain much in my opinion. I thought from the reviews here that this would be a really nice psychic reading and that it would be helpful. I didn't get much out of it. It's ok. I have other tarot cards I use and at least I feel I get some clarity about my questions. Not with this deck.