5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love love loved it!
I don't know what to say about this book except that I loved it to death, and I hate almost everything. It's as though an angry Jane Austen and a sardonic Flann O'Brien met and decided to write a book together. It's smart. It's funny. It's true.

Published on May 1, 2005 by Julia Sullivan

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good moments but ultimately disappointing
Published on July 7, 2004 by Jennifer Hamilton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love love loved it!, May 1, 2005
Julia Sullivan (Cambridge, MA United States) - See all my reviews

As for the person who whined about how unrealistic it is that Grant and Lisa started every e-mail with "Dear Grant" and "Dear Lisa"--kiddo, back in the day when manners and literacy still had some shred of a hold on American society, that was how intelligent people began communications with each other. Now that we live in a world where our nation apparently has an official "Skank Laureate" (a position now held by Paris Hilton, though there are any numbers of contenders for the crown), you may be somewhat unfamiliar with the concept.

Fortunately, the writers of this book have manners, literacy, and intelligence in spades. Big gushy virtual fangirl kisses to both of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good moments but ultimately disappointing, July 7, 2004
I love self-deprecating humor as much as the next person, but this book takes it a bit too far. The idea is that the co-authors give their main characters, Lisa Roberty and Grant Repka (thinly disguised versions of the authors, apparently), a chance to make fun of themselves by competing to see who can come off as having been more pathetic in their disastrous former relationships. Though occasionally there are some funny moments and the characters do offer touching insights about their own and their former lovers' motives, more often both characters come off as lonesome whiners who have defined themselves by a failed relationship that should have failed long before it did.
At first the competition is amusing, but it just goes on too long-by the end of the book, you just want them to finish their e-mails and have a real conversation. [...]
P.S. The most annoying thing about this book: Lisa's descriptions of herself drawing faces on recipe cards. This joke was marginally funny the first time, but she repeats it throughout the book to an annoying extent.

4.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing look at two damaged souls, August 17, 2005
Robert Wellen (CHICAGO, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Psycho Ex Game: A Novel (Paperback)
The book, writen by two authors, works surprising well. The email exchanges seem quite real. Markoe's dialoge is a bit stilted. But, her internal thoughts work well. Prieboy writes extremely well. YOu completely feel for these characters and their abusive pasts. It is a actually optimistic book and off the beaten path romance. A really great read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the Best, January 26, 2005
I'm a big fan of Merrill Markoe and her writing, but this left me cold. While I enjoyed reading it, part of the fun was trying to guess who the characters are in real life. Yes, it sent me looking for Wall of Voodoo's back catalog and Markoe's other (nonfoction) writing but the ending left me cold and the characters seemed poorly developed. The quirks (like her artistic endeavors with recipe cards) were what kept me going. Try her earlier nonfiction stuff, it doesn't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it., November 18, 2004
I bought the book at the urging of a friend and didn't really expect to get in to it as much as I did. but it really hit home. THe combination of funny and painfully honest was great. I seriously couldn't put it down until I finished it. I especially recommend it to anyone who has had love go spectacularly wrong for them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, fun read, July 28, 2004
Scout1980 (Louisiana United States) - See all my reviews
This was a fast, fun read. Grant and Lisa, the two main characters, are likable and engaging, and their back and forth email repartee turns into a contest to see who has the most insane ex. I sped so quickly through it that I guess it was inevitable I be disappointed with the ending. It seemed tacked on (and if you don't want a spoiler, please skip this part), as if Winnie and Grant broke up so that Lisa could enter Grant's life. The revelation of Winnie's infidelity doesn't jive, as she and Grant are presented as a happy couple who get along well with each other. As Grant details Winnie's flaws, making her into yet another psycho ex, Lisa is able to take her place. But for the most part, the book is a fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive Pleasure, July 16, 2004
By A Customer
This book grabbed me and wouldn't let me go. I even had to take it with me to the bathroom. The two characters and hilarious and sensitive and I really cared about every detail of their story. Yes, they are writing about their "psycho exes" but the books is really a story about their relationship.
Is the scary, abusive ex of Markoe's really David Letterman? Yep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel instantly better about all your Exes. Buy this book., October 25, 2004
With its biting wit and unflinchingly honesty, the Psycho Ex Game is harder to walk away from than a co-dependent relationship. I couldn't put it down. This book is a must-read for anyone who's been stuck in a bad relationship and wondered how they got there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Found it on the bargain table..., May 28, 2006
This review is from: The Psycho Ex Game: A Novel (Paperback)
And now I know why. It wasn't a horrible book, but it just couldn't keep me interested. I didn't LIKE the characters and I couldn't connect with them in any way. Some of the psycho ex stories were entertaining but most of them were just flat out scary. Maybe I've lived a sheltered life?

4.0 out of 5 stars So intelligent!, March 4, 2009
Claire M. Johnson (San Francisco, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Psycho Ex Game: A Novel (Paperback)
I adored this book. Being something of a journaling whore, I found the gradual and eventually heart-wrenching confessional tone to these email exchanges just amazing and so true. There is something about the email/journaling medium (I look back on what I've said to strangers without a thought and it's pretty scary) that has you saying things you never would face to face. This confessional aspect to it, as the story progresses and the stakes get higher (as evidenced by the points!), was exceptionally well done. I have read the other reviews on this book and I'm scratching my head. You couldn't connect with these people. What? You've never been in a relationship where you knew you were selling your soul and yet you kept making the down payments? I also thought it clever that the story didn't jive perfectly. Grant's recollections don't dove-tail completely with Lisa's recollections, much as would happen in real life. Also, what I loved about this was that I originally didn't like Grant much (because, hello, something of a skank), but then by the end of the book, I adored him. Truly adored him. I'm not in the L.A. music scene, but in the book scene, and how something that seems like a goldmine all of a sudden becoming a clusterf**k is all too real. As much as I loved this book, I only gave it four stars because the ending sort of petered out. I think that Ms. Markoe tried to be too clever by the end. We'd had pages and pages of her marvelous clever (she's brilliant), we didn't need more clever. I don't know what we needed, but we didn't need that. So if the ending had been stronger, I would have given it five stars, full stop. Also, something that the other reviewers don't mention but I think it key to its success, is how L.A. the book is. This story could only happen in Los Angeles.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Psycho Ex Game: A Novel
The Psycho Ex Game: A Novel by Merrill Markoe (Paperback - July 12, 2005)
$13.95 $12.30