Format: Hardcover
I have to admit that I am a big fan of Brian Tracy, have many of his audio and video programs, several books and have been to his seminars. Usually when a new Brian Tracy book or audio program comes out, I invariably buy it.

Such was the case with The Psychology of Selling. This book is 8 chapters and 219 pages. It is a condensed version of his tape program which came out in the 1980's and sold over a million copies.

I have given this book a three instead of a five because I feel that this book is not as deep as Advanced Selling Strategies which Tracy wrote nearly 10 years go. This book, The Psychology of Selling falls somewhere inbetween Advanced Selling Strategies and Be A Sales Superstar, another book written by Tracy back in 2002. My personal favorite Tracy book on sales is Advanced Selling Strategies.

This book should not be confused with the great audio tape program of the same name. That program has far more depth and material than this book.

Nonetheless, The Psychology Of Selling is good reading for a new sales person or for a Tracy fan like myself who merely wants a quick synopsis of some of Tracy's best selling ideas. This book is like an printed abridged version of Tracy's audio program.

I read the whole book in one night. What I got out of it was a reminder of Tracy's best ideas and perhaps a few things that I had forgotten. In that regard, it was a worthwhile investment.

Good book, but being familiar with Tracy, I feel he could have included more meat.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 28, 2005
Format: Hardcover
I have to admit, that when it comes to sales training, my personal favorite is Tom Hopkins with Brian Tracy right behind. Why listen to both? Because I have always believed that you should get training from various qualified sources. Another one of my favorite trainers is James E. Rohn. Mr. Rohn advises to get advice from as many people as possible. When it comes to selling, I am looking for maximum effectiveness. Tracy and Hopkins have walked the walk, have both set sales records along with being great trainers.

Tracy is more into the consultative approach although he uses some of the tried and proven closing techniques that sales professionals use. What impressed me about Tracy is that he speaks from experience having been selling since he was ten years old. He has taught more than 500,000 students in over 500
companies. Like Tom Hopkins, he has walked the walk, talks the talk and is one great trainer as well.

Using the combined advice of Tom Hopkins and Brian Tracy I was able to reach my monthly goal at my last job in only three days.
The first time I used these techniques I moved from next to last place out of 71 sales reps to 3rd out of 75 reps in only one month. This stuff works.

Right now I am using Brian's strategies in my network marketing company. They work very well.

That said, being familiar with Tracy in particular his tape series The Psychology of Selling, I was expecting much more in this book than what is offered. By contrast, Advanced Selling strategies which Tracy wrote over ten years ago was a huge book, packed with information and had more than enough meat.

Nonethless, The Psychology of Selling is a good book, a great primer for new sales people and a great refresher for experienced sales people as well. If you buy this, you will want to add the tape program as well or Advanced Selling Strategies.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 16, 2006
Format: Hardcover
A good book on developing your sales technique. Worth a read, but be warned that at least 50% of the content is 'old news' that you probably have already read in other sales books.

However, the OTHER 50% is worth reading, and will help you master the little nuances of the sales and closing interview.

A lot of emphasis on the 'behind-the-scenes' aspects of the science of selling - from where the title.
on June 29, 2006
Format: Hardcover
It is a misconception that people hate salespeople.People hate BAD salespeople.When you use the mind set and methods that Brian Tracy teaches you are not selling you are helping a customer to solve problems.The sales are a natural by product of focusing on the clients needs not yours. I wish that every sales person that I had to deal with used Brian's methods.This is one of my top ten sales books.
on December 22, 2010
Format: Paperback
I read this as a part of a book club style reading with some of my employees. I kept feeling, over and over again, that BT was full of it. I had also heard the audio book a few years before this and I felt that was way better. Maybe it's just that content is geared more towards audio, but the written version just wasn't doing it for me.

And there's nothing here you won't get from Ziglar's Secrets, so check that out instead. Use the audio as supplemental when you're in your car.
on April 20, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This book is VERY boring and it keeps repeating the same basic ideas over, and over, AND OVER AGAIN throughout the entire book (!!!) The whole useful information could have been summarized in 20 pages, the rest of the book is B.S..

This is full of elementary and common-sense info and the title is intentionally set to be misleading. If you're looking for a book about Sales, this is the wrong place to be.

I feel like I've been deceived in buying this title. It was waste of time and money. The only reason I didn't give this a one star, is that it still has a 20 pages worth of useful info in it. Other than that, it's a total waste of time.

Don't even expect to learn something sales-related here.
on April 26, 2005
Format: Hardcover
If you're a salesperson and need to improve your skills, this book will do the trick. I found this book to be easy to read and packed full of sales techniques I could start using right away. Brian Tracy's The Psychology of Selling is a "must read" for any person serious about making it in the field of selling.
on November 2, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This is an excellent book for the individual that has decided to grow and make a difference in the lives of others. I intended to read it more than once, but I found that what I read takes care and attention to see the results. I too significant notes, made highlights, and, most importantly, I took action. I highly recommend this book. It will inspire you and help you to grow. Just take action.
on December 10, 2005
Format: Hardcover
This new great book by Brian Tracy is more about what is going oninside your head and the head of your prospect that closing techniques. For the art of closing sales, read Brian's Advanced Sales Techniques.

This book is different and is essential to all serious sales people.
on December 26, 2009
Format: Paperback
Unlike many of the marketing books that deal with specific techniques, The Psychology of Selling is interesting in that it highlights the seller's self-perception and state of mind. The author places an emphasis on improving self-esteem, and encourages salespeople to set personal goals in life to improve their problem solving in general.

When the author tackles the subject of why people buy a particular product, most of his points are marketing 101, but he effectively breaks down two major motivations that many sales books don't. He delves further into the psychology of buying with a point-by-point list of basic customer needs, and how you can appeal to them. The book carefully explains how all purchases are ultimately made for an emotional reason, and that consumers simply find ways to justify their purchase with logic only after the sale. One technique I found particularly useful was how to ask a question that would help you determine a customer's "Hot Button" and use it to encourage a purchase.

While some of the techniques dealing with face-to-face meetings aren't addressed in other sales books, there are many tips that seem to be Sales 101. Granted somes salespeople may not maintain eye contact with clients, give firm handshakes, or focus on personal grooming, but some of his advice seems to be fairly common knowledge. That in particular is the only reason why I gave the book four stars instead of five, but the book in otherwise should on the shelf of anyone involved in advertising as well as sales.