The Pulse Test
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on February 13, 2008
Pulse test has been a great help and exactly what I needed. I would recommend this book to everyone who has a pulse...every human being!
That is interested in maintaining good health and life longevity.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on July 17, 2011
Dr Coca developed this test in the 1930s and 1940s after his ill wife told him that her heart beat much faster than usual after eating certain foods.

The basic test protocol is for a person to take their pulse, eat a suspect food, and then take their pulse again immediately after, and at 30 minute intervals for a few hours. If the pulse speeds up 6 beats or more, you many have an allergy to that particular food.

Of course there is a bit more to it, as this book explains.

This book explains that the best way to determine your allergic foods is to retest them enough times that you are sure the pulse reaction isn't a coincidence and due to something else, includes information about the foods which most often cause delayed food allergies, how to determine your usual pulse range, and how to do an elimination diet so you can more easily isolate your food allergies.

The information in this book is accurate and worth considering. I am convinced of this fact because of the number of times I have seen Dr Coca and his work on pulse changes and allergens quoted and referenced in many very high quality health books, and because of the quality of this book and the obvious scientific integrity of its author, plus the fact that for many years I have known that a racing pulse after eating something is a sure sign I am allergic to it! I'm also aware of other patients that have used this method with success.

(I also have a disease called M.E. which involves pulse changes in response to bodily exertion as a major feature, and so understanding this concept in relation to allergies wasn't at all a huge stretch!)

While we do have ELISA tests and so on now, these only ever provide part of the solution as no test tests for all types of reactions to a food, as far as I am aware. So I'm using ELISA testing in combination with the pulse test currently and slowly working out my full list of food allergens. While the more severe and obvious ones are easy to find, many are far more subtle and difficult to identify.

There are many books on this topic that contain very similar medical information or that even contain a lot of extra information about modern tests, so perhaps this isn't the best book on identifying allergies for everyone, but I did enjoy reading about this pulse test protocol from the brilliant man who actually came up with it.

This is quite an old book but I found that the author's passion for the subject shone through each page and made the text very engaging.

Thank you Dr Coca for your pioneering work!

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E. (HFME) and Health, Healing & Hummingbirds (HHH)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again