5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful
Even though the book seems to be written from a more fundamentalist viewpoint that I happen to have, I got a lot out of reading this book and recommend it to anyone with at least Christian leanings.

Published 23 months ago by C. Richard

3.0 out of 5 stars A little sick of the commercialization
I had read a book summary of The Purpose Driven Life several years ago, so when I saw that this book was being released as an anniversary edition, I was interested. The summary was powerful and motivating, and I was excited to read the book in full.

Published on November 27, 2012 by Peter J.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, January 12, 2013

Following the instructions in the book, I spent some time everyday for 40 days reading one chapter of the book and considering what it had to say until the next day. The time required was minimal, but there were many rewards/insights to be found.

The books is written around 5 purposes that can be summed up as worship, fellowship, discipleship, ministry and mission. As should be apparent, the importance of service is a key theme. There is no attempt to fit you into a box of a set shape; everyone being different and the desirability of that is recognized as very important.

I avoided reading this book, despite seeing it all over the place for a long time. I am glad I gave it a try. Hopefully, you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book., December 21, 2012
This review is from: The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? ( Expanded Edition) (Hardcover)
What on Earth am I here for?
The purpose Driven Life
Rick Warren

A 42- Day spiritual guide, with the three answers of life's most important questions....

The question of existence..... Why am I alive?
The question of significance.....Does my life matter?
The question of purpose......What on earth am I here for?

Five benefits of knowing your purpose.....
It will explain the meaning of your life.
It will simplify your life.
It will focus your life.
It will increase your motivation.
It will prepare you for eternity.
First I'd like to say that I am a lover of daily books. Anything that is uplifting, clear and meaningful that can help me increase my knowledge of the living word is something that I will instantly pick up and start reading the first entry.

Life has been trial after trial after trial for me and my family as well. Once one thing fits in place the other falls apart. I find myself constantly questioning everything and wishing that things could just change. When I saw this book on the book sneeze website I knew I had to give it a go. Because that should be our focus what does God want our lives to turn out to be. He is the one who put all the work and effort into creating us. Surely there is more to it than just building a world and it just goes from year to year. He did it for a reason and we are here to find out what that is and figure out what we need to do next.

After reading these entries, The Purpose Driven Life. Has opened my eyes to see that God created us out of LOVE to share his LOVE and for us to share his LOVE....Growing up I honestly thought that he was a big guy up in the sky who just made us to play with... Like when we were kids and had our blocks and dolls and toys etc. I didn't feel like I was loved our wanted... And now as I come to realize that he does care and what the best for me. That I am loved and wanted. Now as I open my Bible everyday the scriptures become clearer and the Holy Spirit gives me understanding so I can learn. And I'm finally learning! I have wanted to learn from the word for so long it was so frustrating when I didn't get it. When I went to church and just sat there like a zombie watching the clock go by because I didn't feel like I belonged. That God didn't care and now that I know he does it has helped me grow a lot closer to him and now I can't set my Bible down. It is the best feeling ever. This book is an eye opener and I encourage every one of you to give it a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Six Reasons to Like the New Purpose-Driven Life, December 5, 2012
Lawrence W. Wilson (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
It has been 10 years since the publication of The Purpose-Driven LIfe, the book that topped best-seller lists for months and sold more than 32 million copies.

Rick Warren's simple formula linking each person's purpose to five classic functions of the church--worship, fellowship, discipleship, ministry, and mission--has helped countless people re-examine their lives and deepen their faith.

When the book originally released in 2002, I was editorial director at a Christian publishing house and had previously served as a pastor for several years. As a "professional Christian," I was skeptical that Warren's seemingly simplistic approach had much to offer.

But when the church I attended did a Purpose-Driven campaign, I dutifully agreed to read a chapter a day. I was immediately hooked by Warren's unassuming voice and clear, biblical message. I read the entire book in two days and was highly motivated to re-engage in the practice of spiritual disciplines and ministry.

Since then I've used the book as the basis of a small-goup study on two occasions. This material continues to connect with basic questions people have about how to live a meaningful life.

Now Zondervan has released an anniversary edition in an attempt to reach a new generation of readers.

The expanded edition includes two additional chapters, plus online supplemental resources: a one-minute video introduction of each chapter, and a roughly 60-minute audio recording of a Sunday sermon by Warren to accompany each of the 42 chapters.

The bonus materials don't add much value to the book, however. The chapters really don't need an introduction, and I can't imagine anyone listening to 42 hour-long sermons in addition to doing a six-week group study of the book.

Purpose-Driven has been criticized by some for being too simplistic about spiritual matters and for Warren's hopscotch approach to using Scripture when supporting his points. Even so, the material is useful.

Here are six reasons I still recommend The Purpose-Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?

1. It makes basic Christian concepts accessible to just about everyone.

2. It's a surprisingly inspiring read.

3. It makes a good text for a new converts class.

4. It's an easy choice for a six-week small group study.

5. It is a versatile resource for one-on-one discipleship or mentoring groups.

6. Though the book has some shortcomings, they are outweighed by strengths.

No book is perfect, and Purpose-Driven is no exception. Yet for a decade it has been a value to pastors, small group leaders, and every-day Christians get in touch with God and themselves.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little sick of the commercialization, November 27, 2012

I have to say that much of it certainly is motivating, moving and helpful. There's a good reason why this book has been a chart-topper for so many years now. I believe that - if applied - the principles presented in this book can definitely be life-changing.

On the other hand...

I feel that what was once a simple, powerful message has been diluted by marketing and commercialization. From the trademarked title to the numerous references to offshoot products, this book read like a miniature catalog. It can be pretty frustrating to study and think concepts over while being constantly smacked in the face with product promotions.

Disclaimer: I received this book for free from Thomas Nelson through BookSneeze - their book review program. I wasn't required to post a positive review. These are my own opinions on this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Buying to Get the Extras, May 30, 2013
My church decided to read this book as a congregation and I was a little put off when our pastor insisted that we purchase the newly released edition (I already owned "The Purpose Driven Life"). However, after reading the first chapter I quickly understood why. I LOVED having it on my Kindle because I could click directly on the links that led me to Rick Warren's sermons that related to each chapter. I also liked the fact that I can highlight and add little notes in the book on my Kindle. "What on Earth Am I Here For?" takes you so much deeper into your journey to finding your purpose and has new ways of teaching and building on each point. I highly recommend it but I encourage any reader to take this journey with a friend or even a group of people so that you can discuss the readings and hold one another accountable. Best wishes and blessings on finding your purpose!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, March 28, 2013
I chose this book for a church-wide study even though Warren leans more conservative than most in our congregation. Its a great theme and I think its a solid discipleship treatise. What shocked me was his misuse of scripture throughout the book. He chooses a verse for the theme of a whole section and yet when you read the scripture within its context, it has little or nothing to do with his theme. A person wanting to know scripture better is not served by this book and may end up even more confused about the Bible. Moreover, Warren makes neck-wrenching theological turns, for example, speaking one time about free will and the next about God's design in which human choice is next to irrelevant. He's got a very successful ministry and I love his outreach efforts, but a solid Biblical pastor, he's not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Purpose Driven Life thru God & NOT thru a Book/Church ..., April 27, 2013
I'm pretty new to Christianity (1+ year), & was introduced to this book when I participated in a fellowship/study group. I dropped out almost immediately because it's pretty obvious that the author's pushing the readers to follow/support the "institutionalization" of the church rather than God's teaching.

I think the 1-star comment posted by Les Miller, 2/2/2006, does a pretty good job at summarizing what following God's Word implies -- it's about putting the teachings of Jesus Christ at work in our life & not in what roles one performs in church. This book (and also the church that introduced me to it) DOES NOT encourage one to "Seek Out" the Bible/God through one's SPIRITUAL efforts like sincere prayers, etc.. Instead, they teach people to focus on supporting church functions/duties, bringing in more people, and giving more donations.

It's no surprise that this book is heavily promote by the church, because it promotes the church. ... After leaving this fellowship group, I began reading the Bible on my own DAILY & sincerely prayed to God for help in understanding it. You know what, the best & only source to turn to for direction of one's life is GOD; and the best & only way to do it is through one's SINCERE PRAYER. As stated in the Bible: "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you". It's that simple: just pray sincerely to God for the PURPOSE of your life & he'll guide you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, December 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you were part of the "Purpose Driven Life" movement from the beginning of the decade, you will find this updated version a nice addition to your library. It was a great refresher on all the principles in the original with new insights added.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual understanding found within this reading. Excellent book. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED., November 6, 2013
I've reached a cross-road in my life and while searching for peace and answers for my purpose, I was given this brand new book for free. Since then, the words help me better understand many things I've been questioning not only about myself, but a higher spiritual figure. It's not that I don't believe in "something" but it's because in all my years, it was hard to comprehend something I couldn't see or touch. This is answered within the first few pages. In addition, I've foun dthis book opens my mind to many things I didn't previously understand and since then, I've ordered two books from Amazon. One for my girlfriend who we read Chapters together and share our feeling son what we read and how the Chapter pertains to our lives as individuals as well as a couple, and one for my Neice who is having a difficult time finding her purpose in life. I highly suggest this book. And to be honest, it's the one book I look forward to the next Chapter since reading "The Illustrated Man" in 7th Grade. If you are having a difficult time in your life, spiritually, emotionally, mentally, etc.....This book may help you find peace and resolve. Give it a chance. You have NOTHING to lose.

1.0 out of 5 stars A profit-driven life, April 30, 2014
Rick Warren clearly has an inflated self image when he states in the book that: "This book is dedicated to you. Before you were born, God planned this moment in your life. It is no accident that you are holding this book. God longs for you to discover the life he created you to live – here on earth, and forever in eternity (sic) (Warren, 2002)."

I can’t imagine anyone having the audacity to claim God meant for me to pick up the very book he wrote. Wow! Long before Rick or I were conceived, God planned on me spending $20 dollars to buy Rick Warren’s book and for him to make millions off the concept. That’s a very tidy rationalization Mr. Warren has set for himself. It must be nice to live in such a fantasy world. And, it’s quite the fantasy world! I used to drive by his massive church-come-entertainment-center when I lived in Orange County, CA. Judging from the exceptionally beautiful and expensive exterior, including the extravagantly priced cars in the parking lot, many people have similar rationalizations. They clearly spent hundreds of thousands of dollars trucking in full-grown palm trees for the landscaping alone. My Christianity sees this as wasteful folly - one that could be better served by providing food, clothing, or housing to those in need. Surely, that would make Jesus far happier. And, so would toning down Rick Warren's ego.

The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? ( Expanded Edition)
$22.99 $14.48