Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on April 2, 2009
First, who am I to judge anything written by this amazing man of God? They say fools rush in where angels fear to tread. So, here I go. The passion of a true worshipper of God comes through in this excellent read on every page. Perhaps reflective of his own spiritual journey and awareness of "wasted time" in seeing, understanding, and make his own the sacrament of worship, Tozer makes a exceptional strong case for rediscovering our privilege, opportunity, and injunction to worship God. I found myself wanting to highlight so many quotes and passages that, if I had followed my urges, the whole book would have been canary yellow. You will understand the who, what, when, where, why, and how of worship. He speaks as someone who obviously has been there done that. BUY THIS BOOK!
on December 7, 2009
All I can say is, "Wow!" For quite a while now, I have felt that the church of God has lost its original purpose and that we are searching in all the wrong places for God's approval. We are so caught up in programs and entertainment that we are not functioning as God wants us to function. I was never able to put into words what I felt, but this book changed all of that. In my case, I'm a musician. I never really felt I had a problem with my music philosophy until I read this book. Having reading this book, my attitude has changed forever. In this book, Tozer gives clear, Bible-based requirements for worship. These are not ideas that he has formulated himself; they are ideas that come directly from the Word of God. I came out of the book realizing that music is not essential to worship; nor are many other things that churches often consider "essential" in a proper worship service. The idea of worship being a continuous state of mind is an ever-present thought throughout the book. Tozer's thought-the fact that so much of what our churches do "in the name of God" is worthless without worship-hit me very hard. This book is both inspiring in its push for a more simple and straightforward worship, and daunting as I think of the uphill battle that it is going to be trying to get churches steeped in tradition to change their ways. Regardless, this book is a must-have for any serious person seeking to get back to the basics of true Biblical worship.
on November 9, 2010
A. W. Tozer's collection of writings on worship read as intimate as the subject itself. Tozer's words come as a brotherly and fatherly message to the reader. It is as if he were sitting in your living room preaching the secret of the Christian walk. With illustrations from all of creation, scripture and "sound doctrine" , he leads the reader to understand true worship. Tozer , himself, holds your hand as he enters you into the Holy prescence of God giving you a spiritual tug to walk in a way natural for your spiritual gait.

This book, written generations ago, is now timely and relevant for the Church today. It is a must read for every disciple of Christ and especially those leading in the Church. It presents the true heart of God in our worship of Him. Most importantly, it teaches the Christian not only that they are saved but for what they are saved for. . an intimate relationship with God.
on April 6, 2010
WOW! I can't imagine what would come from the pen of this great servant of God on the present condition of much of what is passed off as the church's message of seeker friendly, entertainment driven, let's not offend, upset, scare off, or call to repentance with clarity the message of The Kingdom which Christ preached.
A MUST READ for every minister of the Gospel. The reason we exist is not to deliver great sermons, produce good music, build buildings, community outreach and social work, nor primarly to do evangelism: WORSHIP that is acceptable to God on His terms first, then the (works) we do become acceptable and are not wood, hay and stuble...May HIS Glory return thru WORSHIP that honors HIM ~ Read and Re-Read..
on April 14, 2010
A.W. Tozer (1897-1963), the longtime Christian and Missionary Alliance pastor, speaker, and magazine editor, is probably best known for two of his many books, The Pursuit of God and The Knowledge of the Holy. Now Pastor and Tozer biographer James Snyder has put together in book form a never-before-published series of his messages on the nature of life.

The Purpose of Man is easily recognized as classic Tozer--a to-the-point, unvarnished description of man's created purpose, his fall from it, and his need to put aside distractions and return to it. As with all his best works, the most distinctive feature of this book is an unwavering focus on the Lord and His relationship to us.

Over 14 chapters, Tozer paints a picture of mankind created in God's image to uniquely reflect His glory and worship Him who has fallen in sin and forgotten that purpose. He points out that we have an enemy whose goal is to keep us from our purpose and calls believers to actively rediscover the mystery and majesty of true worship. He builds a mature definition of the Church as a "company of worshippers" and defines religion and ritual as the antithesis of worship. Worship is, he ultimately concludes, the fullest expression of our direct relationship to God with the person of Jesus Christ as its focal point.

For both Tozer fans and the uninitiated, The Purpose of Man is an engaging read put together in a straightforward, personable style that the Spirit has used (and will continue to use) mightily to change hearts and build God's kingdom. The issues raised and exposited here are perhaps more relevant today than when they were first addressed--the Church suffers from an acute lack of true worship, and Tozer's voice from the past offers solid, scriptural solutions to our ongoing spiritual problems.
on May 15, 2011
Tozer was a man ahead of his time. Well let me correct that he was a man who wrote for all times. Tozer's book speaks to the heart and as with all his books there is no doubt where he stands on God and man and as to what God's purpose for man was when He created him. As with all his books he goes directly to the point and does not waste time leading up to it. While I have some areas I would debate with him if he were alive today overall he gets the reader thinking but not totally agreeing with him because he would never want that. Drones are not free thinkers and discernment is the key when reading any books on faith. Overall I would recommend this to anyone that wants to broaden their knowledge base.

Greg Gudson
[...]
on April 3, 2011
THE PURPOSE OF MAN by AW Tozer explores the age-old question, central to the human condition: "What is the purpose of man?"
Citing our current "fig-leaf" religion, Tozer says, "This is exactly where humanity is today. We have a strange spiritual amnesia and cannot remember who we are or why we are here, and we look around for some explanation of our existence."

Not one to leave the church floundering for answers, Tozer explains man's purpose: "That biblically defined purpose is that we might worship God and enjoy Him forever."

This book describes in a beautiful way, what worship is, how the believer enters into worship, and why it is all terribly important, for us and to God. "Worship is a moral imperative, and yet I believe that it is the missing jewel in evangelical circles."

"Worship is to feel in the heart and express in some appropriate manner a humbling but delightful sense of admiring awe."

Amen.
on October 30, 2010
Some authors are able to share deep biblical truth. Others can pull at the heart strings. Still others tap into the beauty of what it means to know God intimately. Tozer is one of the rare authors who can do all three. This book will strike a cord with the deepest intellectual and the most sensitive creative artist. You will come away challenged and touched.
Pastor Adam Stadtmiller Author:Give Your Kids the Keys: Navigating Your Child to a Personal and Sustainable Faith
on May 3, 2012
...let all the earth be silent before Him." If we cannot got to our office, our factory, our sink full of dirty dishes, during the week, and say that "The Lord is in His Holy Temple", then it really doesn't matter if we jump up and down in the brick and mortar "church" on Sunday, or not, because we havent worshipped yet. That dissertation, by Tozer, alone, is worth the price of the book.
on February 23, 2010
Really good insight on worship and your purpose. Many people and churches are not worshiping to please God but to please themselves. This book will give you an eternal purpose on worshiping God as designed by God our Father.