Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Pursuit of God: The Human Thirst for the Divine
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 18, 1999
This book is probably the most spirit filled and guided work I've read in a long time. You can not help but hear the voice of God calling you to a deeper relationship with Him as you read this amazing classic. From begining to end each page is an impassioned plea for the reader to abandon "comfortable Christianity" in order to truly know God as He desires to be known. You can see right away that truly Mr. Tozer wrote this book on his knees. I found myself challenged to look at my own faith in Christ and what I should be doing with that faith in every chapter. Sometimes with weeping and confessing and always compelled to deep times of prayer and renewel in God's presence. The chapter entitled "The Blessedness of Possesing Nothing" should be required reading for anyone confessing Christ as their Lord. I was totally blown away and my life with Christ and my own pursuit of God has been forever enriched. I have read this book over and over and shared much of it with friends and family. If you are "stuck" in you walk with the Lord, let the Spirit of God use this book to shake you loose and move you onward and upward.
22 comments|338 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 15, 1999
This is one of a few books I've read that, upon reading it, actually manifested God's presence. In line with the teaching of the book, God impressed upon me his love and his desire for a more intimate relationship. I broke into tears. Few books have had that impact. The chapter entitled "The Blessedness of Possessing Nothing" is a profound call to absolute simplicity and abandonment to God who owns everything you may think you "possess", including yourself! Surrender it all to God and see what miracles will be wrought for His glory. Let God possess you! For those who want other recommendations, try "The Christian's Secret to a Happy Life" by Hannah Whitall Smith, "A Testament of Devotion" by Thomas Kelly, "Abandonment to Divine Providence" by Jean-Pierre de Caussade, "The Practice of the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence and, for those who want to experience God's holiness in a powerful way, "The Holiness of God" by R.C. Sproul. - Brad Clark
44 comments|175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2011
Didn't realize that when they called this book a classic they really meant it. Many ideas and also clear direction to a more full walk with God (which, I think, is what we all really want). For the believer, God's "distance" is never the issue. It is only that we are to tune in to Him and the reassurance of His already immediate presence is known and felt by us. The idea of God's Throne in one's life (and there is room only for One on the throne at any time) is simplified. Yes, we want to walk with God. But remember it is He who reaches out to us before we can know Him in the first place. No wonder this book is so highly regarded.
0Comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2004
I've been intimidated to review this book for a long time. Why? This book changed my life.
I grew up in a conservative Christian church, my father was a pastor, and I was studying for the ministry when I purchased this book as a gift for a good friend. I didn't want to give him a gift that would lead him astray, so I decided to read the first chapter.
What I found was nothing like what I had known. This was no dry, moldy, "scholarly" book--this was alive. The blessed truths that had been buried in my heart and mind beneath the drudgery of modern scholarship's debates over dating, authorship and sources came pouring forth in what I can only describe as "rivers of living water" (John 7:38). Through the Spirit-led power and insight of Tozer's writing I was awakened to the reality of the Almighty God and the nearness of His blessed Holy Spirit in an amazing way. The prayer he offers at the end of the first chapter (in which he borrows Moses' prayer from Exodus 33) left me in stunned awe before my Maker.
This book (as its author was) is annointed with the presence and power God. I would most highly recommend this book to any person--both those who thirst for more of God and those who know nothing of this deep soul-hunger. Tozer speaks with an authority and passion characteristic of one who has been in the very presence of God. Let the Spirit speak to you through this great saint as you embark upon Man's most noble effort--the Pursuit of God.
22 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2011
For years I listened to my Pastor & other theologians quote things from this book. Everything I ever heard from this man I wrote down because it was profound & usually very convicting to my heart & it drove me to the Word of God for further study...that is a good thing. So I finally decided to read this book for myself. It was the best decision I ever made for myself. I recommend this book to every Christian..it will transform your life if you listen to the Still Small Voice deep inside your heart. Blessings to you.
on May 26, 2008
I love this classic by Tozer. In fact, I ordered this book to replace my well worn copy. Unfortunately, while reading the first chapter I encountered six typographical errors. These errors are the result of very shoddy editing.
For instance, on page 13, Thee is spelled TThee. On page 17 it's T Thee.
Also, one sentence on page 13 reads "That is the heavenly birth without which we cannon: see the Kingdom of God."
Page 16 reads "Lift up thine heart unto Gel..."
Very shoddy work by this publisher, trashing a great classic.
I highly recommend you purchase this wonderful work by A. W. Tozer, but buy it from a different publisher. I've already printed my return labels and will be sending this one back to Amazon. I'll reorder from a different publisher.
33 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2008
A classic book but a horrible edition. I have never seen so many proofing errors in my life. Not acceptable.
on November 10, 2002
Tozer speaks as one who has been in the presence of the King and the aroma of heaven clings to the pages of his book. The Pursuit of God was one of the first really great books I read. One of my mentors loaned it to me when I was nineteen years old and facing a period of decisive surrender in important areas of my life. The second chapter, called "The Blessedness of Possessing Nothing," was especially meaningful to me. Everything Tozer wrote was good and I could give a blanket recommendation to his other works. His books are brief, but not shallow. I highly recommend The Pursuit of God. Follow it up with Man: The Dwelling Place of God, another of Tozer's great books.
on October 3, 2008
The book is amazing and should be read by believers in Jesus, as well as people who "just go to church." This edition, however, is edited badly and unreadable at times. :( I've only gotten through the introduction.
on December 28, 2010
I recently ordered this book after reading Tozer's The Knowledge of the Holy this summer. I was very excited to read this book, as it is another of Tozer's classics. HOWEVER, DO NOT BUY THIS EDITION OF THE BOOK. IT IS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE! THERE ARE SO MANY TYPOS THAT DISTRACT FROM TOZER'S WRITING. I regret buying this version, and I will probably buy a different version of the book. I am very surprised that this edition even went to print. AMAZON, PLEASE DO NOT SELL THIS FLAWED PRODUCT!
44 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse