5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to have your faith challenged and life shaken!
Published on July 18, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad version
Don't buy yhis version, it is missing the TOC. Spend the extra buck for the other version
Published on March 16, 2008 by Fred Kaufmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to have your faith challenged and life shaken!, July 18, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Pursuit of God (Hardcover)
This book is probably the most spirit filled and guided work I've read in a long time. You can not help but hear the voice of God calling you to a deeper relationship with Him as you read this amazing classic. From begining to end each page is an impassioned plea for the reader to abandon "comfortable Christianity" in order to truly know God as He desires to be known. You can see right away that truly Mr. Tozer wrote this book on his knees. I found myself challenged to look at my own faith in Christ and what I should be doing with that faith in every chapter. Sometimes with weeping and confessing and always compelled to deep times of prayer and renewel in God's presence. The chapter entitled "The Blessedness of Possesing Nothing" should be required reading for anyone confessing Christ as their Lord. I was totally blown away and my life with Christ and my own pursuit of God has been forever enriched. I have read this book over and over and shared much of it with friends and family. If you are "stuck" in you walk with the Lord, let the Spirit of God use this book to shake you loose and move you onward and upward.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book Saturated with God's Presence!, December 15, 1999
Cameron B. Clark (Bristow, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Pursuit of God (Hardcover)
This is one of a few books I've read that, upon reading it, actually manifested God's presence. In line with the teaching of the book, God impressed upon me his love and his desire for a more intimate relationship. I broke into tears. Few books have had that impact. The chapter entitled "The Blessedness of Possessing Nothing" is a profound call to absolute simplicity and abandonment to God who owns everything you may think you "possess", including yourself! Surrender it all to God and see what miracles will be wrought for His glory. Let God possess you! For those who want other recommendations, try "The Christian's Secret to a Happy Life" by Hannah Whitall Smith, "A Testament of Devotion" by Thomas Kelly, "Abandonment to Divine Providence" by Jean-Pierre de Caussade, "The Practice of the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence and, for those who want to experience God's holiness in a powerful way, "The Holiness of God" by R.C. Sproul. - Brad Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shekinah Glory of God, July 6, 2004
This review is from: The Pursuit of God (Paperback)
I've been intimidated to review this book for a long time. Why? This book changed my life.
I grew up in a conservative Christian church, my father was a pastor, and I was studying for the ministry when I purchased this book as a gift for a good friend. I didn't want to give him a gift that would lead him astray, so I decided to read the first chapter.
What I found was nothing like what I had known. This was no dry, moldy, "scholarly" book--this was alive. The blessed truths that had been buried in my heart and mind beneath the drudgery of modern scholarship's debates over dating, authorship and sources came pouring forth in what I can only describe as "rivers of living water" (John 7:38). Through the Spirit-led power and insight of Tozer's writing I was awakened to the reality of the Almighty God and the nearness of His blessed Holy Spirit in an amazing way. The prayer he offers at the end of the first chapter (in which he borrows Moses' prayer from Exodus 33) left me in stunned awe before my Maker.
This book (as its author was) is annointed with the presence and power God. I would most highly recommend this book to any person--both those who thirst for more of God and those who know nothing of this deep soul-hunger. Tozer speaks with an authority and passion characteristic of one who has been in the very presence of God. Let the Spirit speak to you through this great saint as you embark upon Man's most noble effort--the Pursuit of God.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Aroma of Heaven Clings to the Pages of this Book, November 10, 2002
Brian G Hedges (South Bend, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pursuit of God (Paperback)
Tozer speaks as one who has been in the presence of the King and the aroma of heaven clings to the pages of his book. The Pursuit of God was one of the first really great books I read. One of my mentors loaned it to me when I was nineteen years old and facing a period of decisive surrender in important areas of my life. The second chapter, called "The Blessedness of Possessing Nothing," was especially meaningful to me. Everything Tozer wrote was good and I could give a blanket recommendation to his other works. His books are brief, but not shallow. I highly recommend The Pursuit of God. Follow it up with Man: The Dwelling Place of God, another of Tozer's great books.

5.0 out of 5 stars God is here!, May 3, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Pursuit of God (Paperback)
I can only concur with several of the other readers comments in that I'm drawn into the presence of God while reading this book. Tozer not only writes about the experiential nature of a relationship with the Lord, he (or rather the Spirit through him) actually leads the reader into God's presence. In this sense the book is utterly unique for me for any extra biblical writings that I've ever read, and I've read a LOT of them (e.g., Practicing the Presence, The Imitation of Christ, The Cloud of Unknowing, Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ, etc.). And after all, it's about fellowship with the Lord, not reading about Him.
Good to take down from the shelf and read again if you're ever feeling "dry".
Completely God-centered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Timid, January 9, 2000
Patricia Newton (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
This is a book that is not for those who are of the faint of heart. The burial party in Elisha's day, when fleeing from the invading Midianites, threw the corpse into Elisha's tomb. When the dead man's bones hit Elisha's dead bones the corpse sprang to life. Likewise this book's content will ignite the flame of one's cold heart.
Tozer strips away the religious forms that keep us from truly following God. In reading this book one will be instructed to do real soul searching and get to the business of seeking the face of God. When the spade work is done, as in gardening, Tozer lets us know that God is here with us. We are never nearer to God than we are right now. Our duty is to seek Him.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who would know, April 9, 2002
Dan Lawler (Flossmoor, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pursuit of God (Paperback)
The power of this book is its promise that all one could hope for in Jesus Christ is true and within reach. Those whose hearts have heard the call to "seek My face" are encouraged with the hope that they will find what they seek, and will know by personal experience the depth of the riches of the glory of God of which the apostles spoke. Prayer is the door to these spiritual riches. Nothing but prayer can bring God and man into this happy communion, E. M. Bounds said, and to this end Mr. Tozer closes each of the ten chapters with a prayer. It is one thing to read the book, something else to pray the prayers, and another still to keep on praying them until they are answered. For those who would press on to know the Lord the book is written. The preface ends with an invitation to kindred souls: "if my fire is not large it is yet real, and there may be those who can light their candle at its flame." By book's end Mr. Tozer has shown his fire is real, and the persevering reader may join with him in this closing plea: "And all this I confidently believe Thou wilt grant me through the merits of Jesus Christ Thy Son." Amen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highest recommendation to every follower of Christ, November 29, 2006
Short, but powerful. I started this book nearly a decade ago, but never finished. This is an absolute treasure of a book - Tozer is a great communicator who is able to get the reader to peer deeply into their own souls while fixing their gaze on the heart of God! I loved so much about this book, it's difficult to really even summarize. Tozer helps the reader how incredible the Christian life really is - beginning with the fundamental concept that those who follow Christ do so only because they have first been pursued by God Himself! The book seeks to simply the Christian life down to its fundamental core - that being a real and profound relationship with a loving, caring and holy God.

One of my favorite chapters is titled The Speaking Voice and describes how God is still speaking today. Many Christians, Tozer asserts, view God's written Word as His only Word - but that is simply too limiting of a view according to Tozer. God is still speaking, and that includes the fact that He is still speaking through Scripture into our lives today!

Tozer isn't kind to the modern Christian. He asserts that today's follower of Christ lacks a spiritual receptivity, has trained his ears not to hear the word of God, is undisciplined and lazy in his pursuit of a real, profound relationship with God; and it's very difficult to argue with his assessment. But he doesn't dwell on the negative, but rather he refocuses the reader on the glorious pursuit of God as the only remedy to our God-given appetite. While the world attempts to fill us on earthly significance and substance, Tozer reminds the reader that only God satisfies. And Tozer reminds the reader as Augustine did thousands of years ago, that our hearts were made for God and are restless until they find rest in Him.

The Pursuit of God is a great read both for the new believer and a mature Christian. It lends itself well to a book study with a group for just a great read for an individual.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4/14/2010 update eliminates annoyances cited in earlier reviews, March 3, 2011
Mark (Bordentown, NJ) - See all my reviews
What we seem to have here is a combination of 5-star reviews of the content as Tozer wrote it, and 1-star reviews of the technical quality of this edition. However, most of the negative reviews were written before the latest update was released. I purchased this edition in early 2011, and have not encountered any of the typographical errors or formatting glitches that are cited in earlier reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christian Classic - Vintage Tozer, December 21, 2004
This review is from: The Pursuit of God (Paperback)
Over the years I have read several Christian-related books and just recently completed this gem. After reading this title, I chastised myself for not reading the book earlier.

The book is vintage Tozer - insightful, penetrating, and uncompromising - just like his other titles.

Among the important points Tozer covers include:

1. We pursue God because He first pursued us.

2. We must put away all efforts to try to impress God and others and instead come to God in a child-like fashion.

3. God formed us for His pleasure.

4. Most people are too stubborn or busy to listen to God.

5. A meek person is one who has decided that the esteem of the world is not worth the effort.

6. Our daily labors can be acts of worship if our motive is pure.

7. Our break with the world is the result of the desire to exalt God above all others.

8. We must yield to God and trust Him to crucify our self-life.

Read and enjoy this classic as an excellent encouragement to exalt God.

Highly recommended!

The Pursuit of God
The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer (Paperback - October 7, 2010)
$5.65