4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful For CompSci Students
I recently purchased this book and I found it an excellent way to test knowledge of C programs. The book gives you some progreams and functions then asks you to follow the program and determine the output.
Published on December 8, 2002 by M. Orourke

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I was kind of disappointed with this book. Many of the examples seemed not really that relevant to real-world C programming. The printing is not very good, looks kind of like computer output, and has stray marks. I think the book could have been a lot better, with more but simpler examples to illustrate various parts of C.
Published 11 months ago by Daniel A Goldman

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful For CompSci Students, December 8, 2002
M. Orourke "Mike" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The C Puzzle Book (Paperback)
I do not know about other computer majors, but my the tests in my classes always include, what does the following function print out, or something to that effect, then you have to go through 2 or 3 loops to figure it out, which can be a bit tricky.
This book is exactly what you need if you are in that type of class, it will really help you with those questions and just generally increase your understanding of the C language.
Not to mention, it's really like a puzzle and not a test, so in that way it is more fun that frustrating.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any C Programmer, February 16, 2002
David I (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The C Puzzle Book (Paperback)
If you really want to understand the ins and outs of the C programming language, work through the examples in this book. I first read the first edition back in the mid 80s and still remember the lessons - and make practical use of them today.
Really covers the traps of C syntax and how to use pointers properly. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Worn Out C Book I Own, March 7, 2001
This review is from: The C Puzzle Book (Paperback)
My old 1982 copy of The C Puzzle Book has always been my favorite C book. Without exception, it has proved useful many times over the years. Now, I have several more copies on order to put into our technical library at work and onto the desks of our more junior programmers.
This is a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best second book to read about C, May 16, 2006
This review is from: The C Puzzle Book (Paperback)
Thus far this book was one of the best book I have read on C programming. The book consists of a series of programs that you should analyze and then predict the output you should have on the screen. The book is short, really short, there is only about 24 pages worth of programs, another 24 for the output of the program, and the rest is the solutions to the programs. I liked the solutions of the programs because they were very thrall and the authors were not afraid to use pictures to explain the concepts; this was especially helpful for the pointers questions. The questions were somewhat basic, although I did learn a thing or two on how to analyze pointers and the precedence tables. Some of the coding found in the book is not in the proper style you would expect it, the author does say at the beginning of the text book such programs should be avoided. You will, however, encounter such bad styles in other programs you will read in the future. The book was a great read, it was challenging to say the least and it had something that other books lacked which is all the problems were explained and answered.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic, May 10, 2009
Harley R. Myler (Beaumont, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The C Puzzle Book (Paperback)
I first encountered this book as a graduate student studying operating systems. The most successful OS of all time, Unix (and it's derivatives) was written in C, which evolved to that purpose. This book is like summer training camp for the C programmer. It exercises all of your skills in bizarre ways and leaves you exhausted, but honed, at the end of the day. I just bought the latest revision for my son who is headed off to college this fall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pity it's no longer in print - 1 of the best ways to learn C, November 12, 1997
By A Customer
Outside of writing a *LOT* of C-programs, this was the best way to quickly learn C. The derivations provided at the end of the book should enlighten everyone who wishes to learn C. If you manage to get a copy - keep it dearly !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. one of the most enlightening when learning C., July 9, 1998
By A Customer
I was disappointed when i was looking for this book for my son and found out it was out of print. This was the one book that helped me understand pointers, array pointers and structures when i was learning C. I have bought other books but they just did not have the interaction that the C Puzzle Book had. Please bring it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly the best book on ANSI C., May 14, 2000
This review is from: The C Puzzle Book (Paperback)
I truly wish I got a copy of this book earlier. It has explained a lot of strange quirks in C that I feel most people don't know about. What's amazing is that it's the smallest book on C I own and I learned more from this book then all the others. It's a great book for people doing C++, considering C is a subset of C++.

5.0 out of 5 stars something for all c programmers, March 5, 2007
This review is from: The C Puzzle Book (Paperback)
This book is divided into sections that cover a portion of the C language. For instance, a section on bitwise operators looks something like:

a = 1, b = 2, c = 3;

PRINT(a & b | c);

PRINT(...);

On the following page is the output of each line. You compare your answers to discover if you were correct.

However, what makes this a 5-star book is that unlike most problem/answer books, half of this book thoroughly explains each problem. This allows you to teach yourself anything presented in this book.

I would recommend this to any C programmer, but mostly to students and instructors and tutors to accompany their curriculum.

5.0 out of 5 stars I use this work book as side reader., January 19, 2014
This review is from: The C Puzzle Book (Paperback)
I teach programming languages about 40 years.
Last 30 years, this book is a side reader.
Many engineers and students answer these puzzle.
Nobody can answer perfect.
Some people use only 16bit or 32 bit machine.
So they can not answer other possibility.
Now I use this book before teaching MISRA-C, automotive coding standard.
Why MISRA-C is needed. Some answers are in this book.

ARRAY(0xaeb56fe4)

The C Puzzle Book
The C Puzzle Book by Alan R. Feuer (Paperback - October 25, 1998)
$24.99 $17.51