Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Beyonce Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 4, 2015
I think I enjoyed this book more than either Percy Jackson or Heroes of Olympus books, but I still didn't love it. I did think it was less predictable than his other books, which definitely made it less frustrating to read. I think my issue with Riordan's books is that I like them, but I don't love them enough to remain invested for 400+ pages. I read a lot of long books, but for some reason these books just seem never-ending to me. The one thing I did really love about this book was Riordan's interpretation of Bast. Obviously I love Bast in general because she's a cat goddess, but I thought the way he wrote her was really fun.
Even though I didn't love this book, I enjoyed it enough that I would recommend it to fans of mythology and myth/fairytale retellings.
on November 15, 2013
Carter Kane is always on the move with his Egyptologist dad, never in the same place for too long, while his younger sister, Sadie, lives with their grandparents in England. On one of their rare visits, Carter and his dad visit Sadie in England and they go to a museum on a normal "outing." Carter is not impressed, he is always going to museums with his dad. Then their dad starts acting weird, other weird stuff starts happening at the museum, this leads to that and Sadie and Carter suddenly find themselves running for their lives and thrust into a world where Egyptian mythology in not just mythology-- it's very real!

The gods have been unleashed (and they are closer than Sadie and Carter can imagine *snickers*) and Set is set (no pun intended, heh) on ruling the world. You know, typical evil stuff going on. Now it's up to the Kane siblings to, well, save the world. No pressure, right?

It is no surprise that I absolutely LOVED this book! Rick Riordan is a GENIUS and I am just a huge fan of his! One thing I think is absolutely great is that you don't have to know about mythology in order to read his books! He weaves mythology into the story in a way that isn't overwhelming or boring, but instead very fun!

I loved all the characters... Sadie is very sassy and fierce with a "sharp tongue!" I really liked her! Carter is also a great kid! He turns out to be a pretty brave, very strong hero, even if he doesn't feel like it at first. Bast is definitely one of my favorites! She is just such a fun kitty, playful, and yet very protective of her charges. Khufu was pretty awesome too... very smart baboon ;)

There were so many layers in this story that make the book great as a whole. Another thing about Rick's stories is that there is always never-ending action, and I love that! His book are just a ton of fun and you will, without a doubt, find yourself laughing often! And of course, Rick is known for his major surprises and twists you do not see coming! I love being surprised and being like, "What?! I did NOT see that coming!"

I really liked thid different take on the gods. You don't really worship them, per se, but instead you fight them and lock them away because Bad Bad Things will happen. I also liked how the book was structured to be like a recording... I thought that was very fun and unique. AND I loved the dual POVs! And then the Percy Jackson shout-out, EPIC! Amos's brow furrowed as he looked across at the Empire State Building. "Manhattan has other problems. Other gods. It's best we stay seperate." -The Red Pyramid, pg. 52. Hi Mt. Olympus! *waves* :D

I don't know what else to say beside GO READ THIS BOOK! It's amazing!
on April 13, 2014
This was a fun read and I hated to put it down. It was very well written, the characters were believable in their actions and words, and I think this book would appeal to wide audience. Might be a bit scary for very young children, but I think my daughter, who is 9, would enjoy the book as much as I did.
on June 8, 2013
I am a mid forties reader of kids adventure books. I am a Percy Jackson fan and a 39 Clues fan. As I was reading The Red Pyramid, it felt like a mash up of those two very successful series, but not as engaging as either of them. My twelve year old son had the same reaction, and I could not get him to finish reading the book. I finished the book, and found it to be decently enjoyable. It did not compel me to read further on in the series though.
on November 26, 2013
My 10 year old daughter and I listened to this on a road trip. She loved it. I think the formula is wearing out for me, but any book that keeps my kids reading and wanting to learn more about the topic (we have awitxh from Greek to Egypt now) is a winner in my book.
VINE VOICEon February 23, 2014
The Red Pyramid was recommended to me by my nine-year-old grand niece. She loved the book. I didn't love it. I wanted to, but, it was too flawed.

The book features two siblings, Sadie, 12, and Carter, 14. Unfortunately, they are so cliched as to be cardboard caricatures. Each chapter is told in the voice of one of these two - and while the reader is told who is narrating, if you don't look, you may not be able to tell the difference from one chapter to the next. Sadie and Carter almost have no personalities. Carter is subdued and grew up traveling the world with his Egyptologist father while Sadie is brash and grew up in the care of their grandparents. Riordan apparently believes that those facts are sufficient to provide the reader all they need to know about his narrators.

I think many young (grades 4-9) readers will love this book. There's lots of action and both good and bad characters. Along the way, they will learn about ancient Egypt.

My grandniece, who read the book a couple of years ago, liked the book a lot.
on December 11, 2014
I really thought that the book was really awesome. I loved both Sadie, and Carter. What I loved so much about it is that right from the very beginning the story sucked me right into the story and made me wish that I could be Sadie so I could be involved in such a story as they where in. If you like Percy Jackson books than you should love this series as will. I already bought the last two in the series and can't wait to jump right back into the adventures that Sadie and Carter are in. And see what happens to all the supporting characters. So please give this series a change and I hope like me that you'll want to have the same adventures as Sadie and Carter are having.
on January 18, 2013
(Okay, you'll have to forgive the terrible pun in my title!)

Welcome to the land of magic, the realm of gods and demons and mystical creatures, and say hello to some really powerful kids!

The Kane siblings, Carter and Sadie, are used to being less than normal. Their mom died years ago. Their mom's parents fought to make Sadie live with them, while Carter traveled the world with his professor-ish father and lived out of a suitcase. They only saw each other two times a year!

This all changes when, on a scheduled visit with Sadie, the world gets flipped upside down -- their dad rushes them to a museum, blows up the Rosetta Stone, releases five Egyptian gods, and then is locked in a golden sarcophagus and stolen away in front of them. Carter and Sadie are thrust into a new world -- where magic reigns supreme, where animals are more than they seem, and where the power of the pharaohs and the gods rushes through their veins.

Discovering that Set, Egyptian god of darkness, chaos, and all that is evil, has been released and has taken their father -- and more importantly is planning to destroy their world, Carter and Sadie embark on a world-crossing adventure through a modern day world filled with ancient Egyptian magics.

This is a fun, exciting romp through mythology (which I love, especially Egyptian and Greek/Roman!). While it's a "YA" (young adult) story, it's pretty fun for anyone who likes a little magic and fantasy and silliness in their stories.

Looking forward to reading the Percy Jackson series (about the Greek gods) and the other two books in this Egyptian/Kane trilogy.
on February 28, 2015
Great book that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. My kids and I read this together when we were doing a unit on Ancient Egypt and they completely loved it. It was a break from the factual reading we were doing with the unit and helped encouraged them to get even more involved in the lessons so that they knew who all the characters in the book were and understand the references made.
on June 9, 2015
Really liked the Olympians series. This one felt much more violent, and I found it harder to engage with the characters. It felt like the violence and the pursuit drove the plot more than the characters. Neither main character jumped out at me like Percy Jackson did. I'll likely reread it with my nieces and nephews.