5.0 out of 5 stars Emery at it's best
Emery's debut album blew it's listener's with witty lyrics and and driven guitars, not to mention that they created a huge splash when they got on the scene. Now, with Emery's second release, listeners are in for it once again.

Published on December 13, 2005 by J. R. Morales

3.0 out of 5 stars Emery ~The Question~ *bonus
I am a diehard Emery fan. Saw them on their first tour, loved The Weak's End, loved The Question and am a huge fan of the acoustic disc they released as part of the prerelease package for The Question when it originally came out.

This re-release, from a musical standpoint, isn't very good.

I'm not a bonus DVD guy, I admit that. I could honestly...
Published on November 24, 2006 by RaY RaY Pine

5.0 out of 5 stars Emery at it's best, December 13, 2005
This review is from: The Question (Audio CD)

Although, the sound may be a little more commercial, it's Emery at it's full best. Not since Blindside's "Silence" have I purchased an album that I can listen to from beginning to end without skipping any tracks. There are a few things that stand out from this album: the lead voclas, for instance, are only a part of the entire vocal composition of the album, not the central piece. The harmonies are brilliant, with a mixture of classical choir intonations (on some tracks, like "Miss Behavin'") and modern vocal stylings that are just genius, not to mention perfectly executed.

Musically, Emery takes bold steps with this album, creating a musical atmosphere like nothing one's experienced. The ripping guitars, the syncopated rythms... all fused inside intricate progressions that will keep you guessing from start to finish. The album focuses on vocal arrangement this time around and not so much on the progressions of the music (although, they are still very much there). The result? An album that will take the emo genre to the next level. Very few albums explode with such originality as "The Question" by Emery.

This album is an all-around good buy. If you're exploring artists of the genre, look no further. If you liked their last album, what are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Among the Greatest, May 19, 2006
IAmMichael (Colorado Springs, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Question (Audio CD)
To begin, Emery is one of the best rock/screamo/alternative bands ever, and if I could I would give this and their last album both a 6/5. They take screamo to a completely different level. I won't ramble here I'll just give out the pros and cons.

Pros:

~ Amazing voices! These guys can SING!

~ They can scream too! The background screaming UNDER the beautiful vocals of Toby Morrell and Devin Shelton just gives me chills. And the fact that screaming isn't focused on as much as vocals is what really blows me away. In screamo, vocals are underappreciated.

~ Complex. Two/Three guitars, two lead singers that switch off, and Josh Head screaming his last name off make one of the most complex and impressive sounds since screamo became a word.

~ Heavy yet melodic.

~ So much energy.

~ Emotion is relayed through the melody of the singing, screaming and even the instruments, which doesn't happen too often.

~ Power and emotion without swearing. Props to any band that does this. Emery doesn't resort to throwing in four letter words to fill in enough syllables or make lines rhyme.

Cons:

~ I can't think of one.

~ Some may consider this a con, some may consider it a pro; there is screaming in almost every song, if not every single one.

Emery is as close to perfecting their sound as any band in their genre. This album is worth every penny and then some. If you liked "The Weak's End", you'll love "The Question". Emery has only gotten better since "The Weak's End". If you haven't heard any Emery, but you like the screamo genre go buy both of their albums. You won't regret it.

Songs to check out for samplers:

- "Returning The Smile You Have Had From The Start"; one of the heavier, more screamy songs on the album. This song throws you right in the middle of heavy guitars and pissed off, scratchy screaming.

- "Listening To Freddie Mercury"; melodic, slowish, poppy

- "Studying Politics"; a single with a music video, good display of general Emery sound

- "The Weakest"; very little screaming, singers really sound great in this song. They sing over eachy other, different words, but it fits (that's one of the coolest things about Emery).

3.0 out of 5 stars Emery ~The Question~ *bonus, November 24, 2006
This review is from: The Question (Audio CD)

This re-release, from a musical standpoint, isn't very good.

I'm not a bonus DVD guy, I admit that. I could honestly care less about back stage footage and behind the scene's information... that's all worthless to me. I'm in this for the sole purpose of new music or new versions of songs so, if you're into DVD's, maybe this will be your thing. With regards to additional versions of songs (and new songs altogether), let me give you my best synopsis of what we have here:

If you own the Presale Exclusive CD already from The Question, you already own the best acoustic stuff this band has to offer. The releases acoustic material is overproduced, somewhat lifeless and, in some cases, just plain bad. The idea of hearing the song "Fractions" appealed to me greatly until I heard it for the first time on this disc and realized that it was bluegrass version that I was mildly embarrassed for the band in having made it. This may be a fun version of the song for the band to play... but for those of us that actually wanted a serious, heart on the sleeve, acoustic version, this was a slap in the face. It's not listenable.

The demo versions of the new songs are just that, demo versions. They're not overly impressive and we might have been better off not hearing them at all. There's nothing truly special about either of them at this point, though they may develop into something great down the road.

The only standout track on the album is the piano version of "Ponytail Parades." Otherwise even diehard fans, such as myself, will be disappointed with the overall package you're getting here. This just appears to be another way for Solid State/Tooth and Nail to make another easy buck as they are the kings of re-releasing albums... unless you find this for the same price of the original album, this is NOT worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Emery ~The Question~, December 21, 2005
This review is from: The Question (Audio CD)
Follow-up to the acclaimed debut The Weak's End finds the band getting more aggressive but not letting go of any of the vocal melodies that make them who they are. Emery have made their name in the emo/screamo scene by saturating their songs with rich vocal tapestries. While other bands will let the music do the talking, Emery rarely leaves a section of music without a vocal section.

Emery's vocal attack consists of three separate singers, two of which sing clean while the other, their keyboardist, does all of the screaming. The band's sound focuses on the harmonies and melodies of Devin Shelton and Toby Morelle while being layered by the screaming of keyboardist Josh Head.

It's hard to pin an exact sound on Emery as they've been able to find their own niche in the emo/screamo community. While the band will deny most influences, it's very easy to pinpoint Thursday and Blindside as two bands they may have been listening to when writing this album... but the vocal arrangements will always give them that unique perspective (see "Listening to Freddie Mercury").

The band boarders on aggressive but never really gets much harder than Thursday does on Full Collapse. Imagine the sound that Thursday achieves on that album musically along with the vocal styles of Beloved on Failure On and you get an idea of what Emery sound like.

This band seems to have mass appeal due to the nature of the vocals; i.e: they're not whiney; they sing and are pretty damn good at it too!

By far one of the most interesting bands in the genre, this release is highly recommended, along with their debut album, The Weak's End. Be warned, this is a Christian band. I've always been a believer that Christians just seem to do it better in this genre than any other. This release is no exception! Another album of the year nominee!

For Fans of: Beloved, Thursday, Dead Poetic

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing!, March 2, 2006
This review is from: The Question (Audio CD)
I really can't describe this CD in words. This is my first listen to the band and really can't beleive how great the album is. It's almost too good really. I guess I just needed something fresh and new from all these crap "scremo" bands and it was a pleasant surpise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, February 27, 2006
This review is from: The Question (Audio CD)
(This is written by the users son, havn't made my own account for these things)

I just recently picked up this album, and the reviews don't lie. In my opinion this is the best album i have ever purchased/put in my cd player. Listening to Freddie Mercury is pure genious. Emery is one of a few bands with clever lyrics and a lead singer (actually 2) that can really sing without going out of there own range limits (i.e From First to Last).

I'm one of those typical Emo/Screamo teens, I've listened to many (numerous..i've lost count) local bands and more indie/mainstream screamo bands, some better than others. This band has ceased to amaze me in there screamo department, while most bands usually take time to become good at it, they mastered it before there first album.

Over all, this is about ten out of five, yea, its that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the debut, January 17, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Question (Audio CD)
Now that all the scene kids have had their say, i feel compelled to tell the truth. The Question is WAY better than emery's debut "the weaks end". Scene kids won't admit that for fear of "selling their favorite band out", but i have no problem telling it like it is. The question is more focused, catchier and much more dynamic than the debut. Emery's use of dual and sometimes tripal vocal attacks is far more effective than anything found on "the weak's end", and the songwriting is far more mature. Emery did what all bands should, they built and got better off of an already good debut. Progression scene kids, not regression. Progression.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, January 14, 2006
This review is from: The Question (Audio CD)
Now almost all bands either fall into a sophomore slump, or their second album totally blows the first away. Not with Emery. I am very glad that they found a steady level at which to keep their work. There are three main things that makes The Question such a buyable CD.

1. The clever lyrics. [funny, deep, thought-provoking]
2. The leads' voice [I love them]
3. The actual music. [still hard rocking, still knocking me down]

My favourite song to listen to is Listening To Freddie Mercury. This album has songs with hook after hook from the second you hit 'Play' to the minute your batteries in the CD player dies.
I have this album in constant rotation since I got it. If you liked The Weak's End, sample some of the songs before purchasing this. It's a little different. Don't listen to people who say the album sucks because Emery is "going mainstream." If they chose to make their music more accessible, it does not mean they are selling out. Don't think they suck because they are a Christian band. I'm a Catholic [not a practising one though] and I like it. They aren't Creed [bleh!], for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars I just can't give them 3 stars. They're freaking Emery, January 30, 2007
This review is from: The Question (Audio CD)
Anyways, when I first bought The original Question, I liked it. I thought it wasn't as good as The Weak's End but still I thought it was a solid sophomore album. Anyways, if you like just music ad don't care about DVD's and acoustics just buy the original...

My thoughts on the Acoustic songs and the Demos..

I thought they are alright... The Ponytail Parades acoustic was good I have to say, still I liked the one on The Question Sampler (got it at Warped Tour 2005 for a buck)... And I have to say, the beginning of Walls was great, it surprised me. But, thats a little biased because I LOVE Walls. The rest acoustics are decent, just not my favorites.

As for the DVD... It's well, a DVD. I liked it but it seemed a little confusing at times. Oh by the way, there are 6 hidden things on it. 4 songs, -Original The Sercet, Shift, X-Mas mix, and To Whom It May Concern- and 2 I'll call them mini movies... -Matt explains his thoughts on Sparkling Water and "Emery's" Post show, in which Devin talks about Bottled Water, Toby talks about his thoughts on the show, and Matt has is "shower"-

All in all, It's decent. If you love the band then get it, if you like them then don't bother. And if you ever get the chance to see them live, do so!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, April 23, 2006
Jaredbob (Powder Springs, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Question (Audio CD)
The Weaks end was good but when i got this one, i was dissapointed a little at first, but then it grew on me and i was like, whoa, this is pretty good. I absoulutly love these guys voices(theres two singers), especially when they blend them together, it sounds really good. Really, on some of these songs(like song number one) i like the slower parts better because his voice and the guitars just sound so good together. The guitars are good in this one and there is some actually beautiful parts in some songs. Last two songs are the best ones on this CD.

If you like this Cd i recomend He Is Legend,Underoath,and Dead Poetic.

The Question