Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Race to the Top: How to Take Over the Social Media Feed
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 19, 2012
As someone who makes a portion of his living as a personal trainer, I understand that marketing can be an important piece in the puzzle. Unfortunately, a lot of trainers, myself included, aren't always comfortable in the role of "salesman". Adding further to this issue, is the fact that most Social Media Marketing books all read the same: Saturate the feeds, use SEO (good or bad), etc. It is all so impersonal. In fact, I am fairly certain that you have seen these tactics at work if you have any friends in your network that are into MLM. Admit it, you have at least a few people on your Facebook "friends" list that you have blocked (or even removed) due to an incessant stream of blatantly transparent marketing.

Goodman's book is like the proverbial "breath of fresh air". The essence of Goodman's text can be summed up in one sentence: Just be yourself. Everyone has a blog, everyone has a site, and everyone has something to sell...what are you doing that makes you different?

Goodman believes that the most important tool is the Facebook Feed, as there is no better way to get referrals and sales than using the network you already have established. The only problem is making sure that you are doing it right, in order that you don't completely alienate everyone.

The key, as outlined in this book, is to get people to share and "like" your posts and content, vice having them label you as a spammer. Tips are offered that can be used "out of the box", or adapted to fit your own personal preferences and brand, but this isn't just a typical plug-and-play guide, as Goodman stresses the need to think for oneself and create your own techniques based off of his suggestions. He gives you excellent tips on certain items you might be wasting your time on (i.e. print ads) and things you might need to be developing more (hint: your blog).

Aside from Facebook, he gives helpful tips on how to get your content shared more, and the answer does NOT lie in engaging the current industry leaders. The section that discuss "not being a carpenter ant", and "being opportunistic", was worth the price of the book alone, as his recommendations as to who you REALLY should be paying attention to were unexpected.

It is a quick read, but is obviously meant to be read more than once, as there is an awful lot of great information here. Seriously, it would be impossible for me to list everything Goodman mentions. There is a lot to think about within the pages of this book, and it is best read with a notebook at your side so you can write down specific action items and reminders.

I have read many marketing books in my quest to take my training business to the next level. Goodman's book did not disappoint and gave me much more to think about than the typical cookie-cutter Social Media Marketing books that are currently available. Highly recommended!
on August 16, 2012
I've watched Jon Goodman grow the Personal Trainer Development Center over the past year or so and have been astonished at how big it's gotten in such a short amount of time. So I was excited when I learned he was releasing this book. I bought it thinking I'd get a nugget or two. Wrong! It is literally jammed packed full of great information that he puts into an easily readable format with tons of actionable nuggets that I look forward to using to grow my own online presence.

I've read a lot of books on how to grow your business through social media (What Jon calls "The Feed") none of them compare to this little book. It has me excited again and believing that I can and will succeed. I highly suggest for anyone who has something to say or sell on the internet.
on March 31, 2013
Goodman has fashioned a very good book that is highly thought provoking. The ideas resonate with some of the greats in marketing such as Kawasaki and Godin. Traditional marketing is a dying breed and you can no longer "interrupt" people through commercials and ads; they simply don't respond to that anymore.

Marketing as shifted to a social aggregation of recommendations and Goodman addresses this well in his book "The Race to the Top." I don't particularly like that he thinks that search engines are a "dying breed," but I do agree social media is revolutionizing online marketing in a big way.

The book is short, well organized and easy to read. Would recommend this to anyone looking to further their knowledge of marketing through social media.
on April 23, 2013
I recommend this book to any professional looking to build his/her base of customers. This book is worth reading if you want to know how social media works and why people share. I will be putting this information into practice.
on September 15, 2012
Even though this book is tailored towards fitness pros it can be used for any professional trying to get into social media. As an ecommerce business owner as well as physician, I learned a heck of a lot that will help develop my business in the social media world. I will likely read it a few more times.
on November 13, 2014
Good overview of psychology of online marketing specifically for fitness. I liked that the general ideas had specific actionable steps shown as examples that are easy to adapt to any business strategy.
on August 18, 2012
In today's rapidly changing online world, it's imperative to developing a thorough understanding of principles in social marketing. This book is outstanding for several reasons:
1. It is short, sweet and to the point. I have 14 other social marketing books full of every detail and case study and yet they are sitting unread on my bookshelf because I don't have time to read them. I read this in one sitting and garnered more from the invaluable principles than I have from laboring hours over other books. Who has time to read long books??
2. The analogies provide insights into human psychology. It's what we may know deep down because it's how we behave ourselves as consumers and individuals, but what we often have a hard time doing because we're so sucked in by the other literature and "techniques" that are supposed to work.
3. Jon cares. He writes this book because he wants to see and help others succeed. That's his mantra. I started thinking "Man this is great information that some would probably want to keep a secret!"

I will be highly recommending this to friends and acquaintances undertaking their own business ventures!

Dave
Owner
CrossRope Jump Ropes
on September 29, 2012
By using the techniques given in RTTT, I found that my social media marketing attempts on FB is yielding better results!
on August 12, 2012
I've often found the problem with books in the fitness industry, is that they're several hundred pages long, but stuffed with filler and crap, like an expensive supplement full of "proprietary" blend.

Refreshing for me was the clear and concise nature of Race to the Top. Yes it makes the book shorter, but it gets to the point without all the fluff in between. Makes for a much easier and pleasurable reading experience.

The content itself gave me a greater understanding of how social media is used, works and has given me a whole new thought process to promote my business, and the word I would like to get across. I've read the book 3 times now, and have made countless notes on paper for me to put into action.

Great read, really enjoyed it. Will see you at the top!

DC
on August 7, 2012
I reached out to Jon, and asked him if I could read it before it was published. I've read it three times, I'm buying it, now, AND sending one to a friend.

Over the past ten years, I've moved from the outside of the fitness industry to the inside, becoming a "fitness professional" along the way. I've cringed at many of the marketing techniques used by so many, so it's a pleasure to see that Jon says you need to be YOU. People want to buy and listen to you because of what you have to say, what you know, and because you can help them or solve their problem. Jon just shows you how to engage them, and build your following based on who you are.

Jon's system is simple, and concept based. The book is short and sweet, as it should be. You'll find yourself reading it multiple times to take it all in, build you action plan, and put things into practice.

Good stuff!