5.0 out of 5 stars I was hurled back to the summers of my youth
As a young girl, I loved summers in upstate NY with my grandmother. This book - from the first illustration to the end - hurled me backward in time. I loved it. I used it as part of a group of river-related books in my Reading program for 3,4 and 5th graders. I loved reading it aloud to the students time and time again and they loved listening to it. Some of them chose to...
Published on September 9, 2001 by Susan Stern

2.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful images, flat story
As a native of Wisconsin, I had much interest in the story of a boy, his grandmother, and wildlife on a Wisconsin river. The illustrations, admittedly the author's strong suit, were strong indeed. The images were of such excellent quality that they almost made the book worthwhile. The beginning of the story held promise, but ended up spending beyond its means into...
Published on November 12, 2003 by aimee_myers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids ages 6-100, October 25, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Raft (Paperback)
It's a excellent book. You can imagine it really happening well you read it. It is a wonderful fast moving story.

lydia and Hannah

age 7 and 10

5.0 out of 5 stars The Raft, September 10, 2002
This review is from: The Raft (Paperback)
"Dad grinned. "Well, She's not your normal kind of grandma... calls herself a river rat." and with that Nicky blinks back tears at the prospect of spending the summer with her. There is not even a TV. What's a kid supposed to do? Well it's not long before Nicky discovers a raft, an old raft with pictures drawn all over it. I suspect Grandma had something to do with the discovery. As the days go by the raft becomes a haven for more than a boy and his grandma, 'hitchhikers' in the form of birds, racoons, turtles and even a family of foxes are viewed from the raft. Nicky soon finds himself drawing his own pictures of the animals he meets and discovering a hidden talent. This is a warm wonderful book that makes you absolutely long for a summer like Nicky spends with his grandma.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for youngsters, August 29, 2000
This review is from: The Raft (Hardcover)
I had a great time reading this book with my 10 year old. Very good story with excellent illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars quick delivery, June 1, 2014
This review is from: The Raft (Paperback)
Great! The book was just what I was looking for. It fit my curriculum needs and the class loved the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Given as a gift, February 8, 2014
swissmiss (LA County, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Raft (Hardcover)
Gave as a gift to my granddaughter at Christmas. Intriguing story and the illustrations are wonderful. Not sure if my granddaughter has read it yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book!, January 26, 2014
This review is from: The Raft (Hardcover)
Gorgeous illustrations and a lovely story make this a wonderful addition to any child's collection. My son is 5 so I read it to him, but this book will keep his attention for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for character development, cause and effect, influence of setting., January 12, 2014
This review is from: The Raft (Paperback)
superb for just plain getting your youngsters OUT of their computer games and their own little worlds and out into nature's bounty of valuable experiences. Mr. LaMarche creates an ambiance, with words and illustrations, that your young ones will want to spend much time in ... even if they do end sentences with prepositions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story!, August 12, 2013
Ellen C. Ota (Spokane Valley, WA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Raft (Paperback)
Inspiring for readers and artists alike, this book by Jim LaMarche is pleasing on many levels. I was happy to find it and receive it so quickly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, May 4, 2013
This review is from: The Raft (Paperback)
Anyone who knows and loves art, children, artists and nature should own this book. Great story and the artwork is such a pleasure to view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read Aloud, March 25, 2013
This review is from: The Raft (Paperback)
Great read aloud for the class. I am using it along with an exemplar that goes with Common Core. It is a great read aloud and the kids love it.

The Raft
The Raft by Jim LaMarche (Paperback - May 28, 2002)
$6.99 $6.29