5.0 out of 5 stars Shows one of the actor's other talents
Published on June 10, 2000 by Reginald D. Garrard

2.0 out of 5 stars Biography of a man who truly believes he is a star
Was hoping for an interesting autobiography of a man that I had admired since the 1950's. Instead it reads like man who used his fame as a tool to prove his sexual prowess with every woman (girl) that he was attracted to. Wish I had a penny for every time he used the word star as a self description. Very disappointing.
Published 13 months ago by SUZANNE

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Shows one of the actor's other talents, June 10, 2000
I read "Ragman" many years ago and still find it to be one of the most entertaining star autobio's that I have ever read. Douglas is very straightforward in his retelling of his humble beginnings, his personal triumphs and tragedies, as well as his long and distinguished career. I recently found his follow-up "Climbing the Mountain." If it is half the book the former is, my financial investment on both would be worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible American life story..., February 17, 2003
The autobiography of Kirk Douglas should be required reading for all American high school students. He proves that you can overcome any obstacle in America, no matter what circumstances you were born into, if you are willing to work hard, stay focused, and never stop following your dream. He overcame abject poverty, flagrant anti-Semitism, family dysfunction, and a society that all but guaranteed that he would never amount to anything. He was blessed with a passionate zest for living and learning, a voracious curiosity, and a fearlessness that allowed him to take risks that lead to great achievements in his life. He truly is bigger than life. He tells his story with brutal honesty. He has a great personal integrity that shines through the entire book. He is, like all the rest of us, imperfect. But he had the tenacity to tell his story, imperfections and all. He has worked hard for everything he has. He was NOT an overnight success. He is highly educated, and is a veteran of the U.S.Navy. And he remains his own man. His life is a great example of the kind of people who made this country the power that it is today.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY INTERESTING STORY AND A GOOD READ, October 6, 2005
This review is from: The Ragman's Son (Hardcover)
I read very few "star" auto-biographies so have little to judge this one by. But I must say, I was impressed. The writing was good, the story seemed to be truthfully told and it held my interest. I have always enjoyed Kirk Douglas the actor and was pleased that I was able to enjoy Kirk Douglas the autobiographor. Mr. Douglas has certainly led an interesting life and has seemingly been able to keep his prespective on life. As I said, I am impressed and highly recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best autobiographies I have ever read, June 14, 1997
By A Customer
I like autobiographies because I think that is the best way to get to know someone. Not that they are always honest and completely open although Kirk Douglas seems to be in this one. I suspect some things are prettied up particularly in the latter portions of this book. I read the hardcover and I don't know if the paperback covers the more recent years. The best part of the book is the early years, particularly his college days and early career

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best screen autobiographies, February 6, 2005
This review is from: The Ragman's Son (Hardcover)
Kirk Douglas story of growing up one of the seven - children in an Amsterdam New York Jewish family, and of working and fighting his way to the top of his profession is in one sense a typical American rags to riches story. It is the triumph of ability and will and courage, and another startling example of how the American dream can be realized. It is also on a parallel track a story of assimilation in America, of denial of one's own identity.This is also often part of the American reality. In Douglas case however this was modified by his return to his Jewish religion and identity after having gone through a serious accident. This story has something of the energy and vibrancy of Douglas' screen personality. It is rich with anecdotes including many celebrity anecdotes as Douglas and his wife were long a part of Hollywood's social world. The question of his morality in relation to women , his many 'conquests' is a real one. But all in all he beside being one of the best American actors in the past half - decade has made a very positive contribution to his society.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great summer reading, May 23, 2002
Renata Baybis (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Kirk Douglas gives the reader a great life story
It has been a while since such an autobiography has been onthe market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Changed the way I look at "Stars", January 12, 2014
This review is from: The Ragman's Son (Hardcover)
I was 33 years old when I read the book and it forever changed my ways of looking at the "stars" of movies.
This would be a good book to give your sons as an example of how not to live your life. I was shocked at how Douglas saw the world. He is a racist on top of everything else.
The one story that stood out the most is when he had sex with a gentile woman and talked about how good it made him feel to be depositing his Jewish sperm into the gentile woman. It was like a getting even or even a revenge thing. He felt like he had been treated bad by the goyim and now he was getting even. It was such a shock to read this because I had really liked him in his movies. The Douglas I was reading did not compute with his screen image.
I never saw another movie he was in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book about Kirk's Life. before and now as an actor., June 5, 2001
Daniel R. Bills (Lafayette, Louisiana USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great book about Kirk Douglas as he was a child through his manhood! Great writing! Definately worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ragman, January 15, 2002
By A Customer
Read this years ago -very well written-honest. If you like this type you will love the book Harpo Speaks -6 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating account, May 30, 1998
of an actor i always enjoyed, but did not know too much about him . . . now i do . . . note: this review is based on the two-cassette abridged version of the book . . . ordinarily, i only like to listen to full version (or read the book), but i made an exception in this case . . . and am glad that i do . . . however, i think that anybody who read the full book would probably like it, too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Ragman's Son
The Ragman's Son by Kirk Douglas (Hardcover - August 15, 1988)
Used & New from: $0.01