5.0 out of 5 stars Comming from a rasta....
Published on April 26, 2002 by zionsdaughterus

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but not for everyday.
If you're in the mood for an occasional swing to the Rasta side then this may be the book for you. I have tried a few of the menu selections and wasn't really that impressed. The food is light and (of course) meat free, but I feel the meals lack a little in the flavor department.
Published on July 18, 2000 by Altso Nonaz

5.0 out of 5 stars Comming from a rasta...., April 26, 2002
Comming from a Rasta I must admit that it is hard to find books that teach u to cook vegeterian and "ital" all at the same time. All though I already knew how to do both BEFORE I bought the book, It was still a nice gesture to see the recipes ranging from all over the carribean and African Decent. Some of these recepies include but are not limited to peas and rice (made with brown rice), herb dumpling, plenty of different soups, stews, tofu patties, derserts including Ital ice creams (mango, coconut, pawpaw...etc ), Breads made with no added perservaties or dairy products (fully vegeterian), and plenty of fresh fruit drinks as well. Including carrot juice (zion juice), pawpaw, freshly homemade punches, etc....Being a cook myself I must say that i was impressed by the context. These receipies are more or less like Cousines rather then just ordinary Vegeterian food. One can make good use from it. A meal that I have often found most deseriable in the book is the vegeterian stuffed bell peppers taken from the entree catagory, peas and rice/ sweet corn and rice taken from the side dish category, and steamed callaloo taken from the vegetable and side dish category. Having it washed down with some sweet coconut water or some other kind of NATURAL fruit (taken from the juice senction ) or vegetable juice makes a deserible meal that vegeterians, non vegeterians, Rastas, and non Rastas will feel priveledged to have enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Red for the Blood, Green for the Earth, Gold for the Sun, March 29, 2000
The Rasta Cookbook is the perfect collection of authentic vegetarian recipies from Jamaica for anyone to enjoy. The introduction describes some aspects of the Rastafari movement, including the importance of Ital foods. The book emphasizes 'the core philisophy on which the Rastafari base their eating habits and cuisine' in that, "You are what you eat". The author offers helpful guidelines about preparation while stressing the importance of cleanliness. I also like the fact that she suggests possible substitutes for dairy products and even a Glossary of Terms is provided for readers who may be unfamiliar with some of the more exotic ingredients. The recipies are clear, easy to follow, fun to make, and even better to taste, (Yes, that's right. Ital food can be flavorful too). I give this book a five-star rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic banana porridge, easy recipes, January 9, 2007
I'm a little disappointed that this is the only Rasta cookbook out there, however I really enjoyed this one. Recipes did lack a little flavor but with a little tweaking these recipes help to create new and healthy alternatives to everyday food. Overall this cookbook was well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY RECIPES!, July 11, 2006
This book delivered on so many levels. It provided me with quick and easy recipes, Best of all it is comletely vegetarian! This book will definately add to my favorite recipes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but not for everyday., July 18, 2000
Altso Nonaz (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
The nice thing about this book is that you can create some interesting delights that are more of a conversation piece than the best food on the table. The book gives a little background on what it is to eat Rasta and the spiritual reasons for doing so. Makes for great conversation.
Although I'm not very impressed with the food itself, there are some creative dishes to be found inside. Although I don't LOVE it, I do *like* the book and feel that it is a worthwhile purchase for anyone who would like to cut meat out of their diet and/or try something new.
Irie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Cookbook For Rastas, April 24, 2000
I think this book is a great book because it tells how to eat to good vegatarian food instead of the corrupted meat that is now so abdundant in the world around us. You should get this book even if your not a rasta because it is also a good cookbook.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not rasta, but a good vegetarian cookbook nonetheless., November 15, 2014
I have owned this coobook for a few years now and while it does have some nice recipes, the title is quite misleading. This is not a "rasta" cookbook, but more so a Caribbean vegetarian cookbook. Many of the recipes are not Ital. The recipes in this book do include salt, dairy, white flour and frying of foods, however a few simple substitutions and omissions can easily make these recipes Ital. This is still a very nice reference. With the considerations mentioned, I can recommend this cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, May 1, 2014
I really like the simple recipes in this book. I made the Jamaican dumplings with my kids and they really liked them. This is an excellent book for anyone who likes to make fresh organic foods.

3.0 out of 5 stars EXPENSIVE for a few recipes..., May 24, 2014
This review is from: The Rasta Cookbook: Vegetarian Cuisine - Eaten With the Salt of the Earth (Paperback)
But they are great, easy recipes :)) I read it almost daily. Full of vegan recipes. My carrot fritters came out tasting terrible though.. We'll see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ital eating.., June 26, 2007
This book is vey informative and right on point with true Ital eating.. my only wish is that there were MORE recipes.. :-)

The Rasta Cookbook: Vegetarian Cuisine - Eaten With the Salt of the Earth