5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read on creating readers....
One and a half years ago, my kindergartener was reading at a 3rd grade level but lacked "comprehension". While he could retell basic plot elements, he appeared to lack any ability to synthesize or think about what he had read.

Published on October 11, 2006 by Learning All The Time

3.0 out of 5 stars Skip to the Index
The author's point is divine but the book is pretty torturous to read. Too many of his arguments are logically unsound, hyped or just plain wrong. He often makes broad statements based upon a single anecdote. He also overuses endnote references that lend a false gravity to what he's saying. As a result, much of this text reads like one of those "fake news article"...
Published on February 17, 2009 by ProfAMN

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read on creating readers...., October 11, 2006
This review is from: The Read-Aloud Handbook: Sixth Edition (Paperback)

So I dutifully bought several comprehension workbooks and was preparing to work with him all summer. Then I stumbled across Trelease's wonderful handbook, and the light went on. What a compelling message about the importance of reading aloud to kids! What a wonderful book list! And what a beautifully simple way to transform my son into a truly comprehending reader!

All I needed to do was read to my son abundantly, ENCOURAGE discussion, rejoice and respond if he spontaneously asked questions while I was reading (THAT was a paradigm shift), and surround him with great books. I could toss out the workbooks.

My son's reading comprehension greatly improved, my children LOVE our read-aloud times - as do I - and they love to read themselves. What's not to like? This book is a wonderful resource that I have referred to repeatedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars If We Raise Them With Beauty and Joy..., August 2, 2006
This review is from: The Read-Aloud Handbook: Sixth Edition (Paperback)
Dear Parents, Grandparents, Teachers and all who find special joy in their children.

This is the finest book about what reading could and should be that I have discovered in many, many years as a parent, grandparent and 22 years as an elementary school teacher.

I strongly recommend that you obtain a copy of this terrific book and use it in building new bridges to the wonders and joys of reading with your children.

The essence of the book can be captured in this simple phrase:

MAKE SURE SOMEONE READS TO YOUR KIDS AT LEAST 15 MINUTES EVERY DAY -AT HOME AND AWAY (SCHOOL)

If we raise them with beauty and joy then that is what they will find in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it, then pass it on., December 4, 2006
Etz (Nashua, NH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Read-Aloud Handbook: Sixth Edition (Paperback)
After reading Trelease's book (the fifth edition), I wanted to send a copy to every parent, teacher and administrator. I was already reading aloud to my children, but this book made such a convincing argument that I redoubled my efforts. The author clearly demonstrates the correlation between early exposure to books and later success in school and life. If all parents and teachers followed his advice, we could create a society of avid readers. His title is actually somewhat misleading, as it's more about how to get kids motivated to read. Reading aloud is one way to get there, but he also makes an extremely persuasive case for "silent sustained reading" as part of the school curriculum at both the primary and secondary level. He includes plenty of useful and innovative tips from parents and teachers, as well as great examples of how these techniques have been successful.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Extensive, Popular Reading List and Handbook, May 20, 2009
This review is from: The Read-Aloud Handbook: Sixth Edition (Paperback)
Jim Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook, first published in 1982, has sold over one million copies and gone through six editions. Trelease traveled extensively for the next 25 years, speaking to American educators and parents about how to promote a love of reading among children. He emphasizes reading aloud with parents and other adults, and his arguments for reading are focused on preserving culture, as well as benefiting children educationally and emotionally.

This book consists of ten chapters, the first nine of which a case for reading aloud to children, discussing when to begin reading, and treat other topics related to childhood literacy. Chapter three is especially helpful, describing the stages of reading aloud to children. Trelease follows children them through their maturation process, suggesting specific reading strategies and kinds of books for different stages of maturity. The tenth chapter is an annotated list of recommended readings.

Because of his secular approach, Trelease's primary criteria for selecting books are suitability for reading aloud, writing quality, and appeal to children. His emphasis is not on moral formation, and his moral criteria seem representative of our mainstream culture, especially the increasingly liberal educational culture. Still, this collection is highly respected, and contains many classic books. I have used it primarily to see what books might be popular with children in more secular circles.

The sixth edition is extensive, with over 1000 titles, more than in previous editions. Rather annoyingly, many titles are only suggested in topical unannotated lists such as "Fairy Tale Parodies" and "Sports Stories." I do recommend the final edition because it is more up-to-date and thorough than previous ones.

Jim Trelease has a web site [...] listing many of his educational resources, excerpts from his book, as well as a page for reviews of books that were published since the last edition of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars One Thousand Stories Before School Begins, March 21, 2009
This review is from: The Read-Aloud Handbook: Sixth Edition (Paperback)
Research suggests that a child, in order to be ready to learn to read, needs to hear about a thousand stories before they start school. When I first heard that number, it just sounded so high. Did I need to take some time off from work to stay home to help hit the thousand? But the more I thought about it, my kids were well on their way to a thousand plus. When you add up all those little Dr. Suess and P.D. Eastman books, you can plow through a dozen of those on any given day. Here's the sad fact, though. As a middle school teacher working with struggling readers, I see kids that are twelve and thirteen that are nowhere near the thousand to this day. And it shows. Simply put, one of the most important activities you can do with your kid is read. Let them hear the language modeled well. Let them start to notice all the similarities between stories. I remember laughing when my own daughter, at four, told me that she didn't need to see "The Little Mermaid" because it's probably the same as "Cinderella" and "Sleeping Beauty" and "Snow White". Let your child pick up on rhyming patterns and begin making their own as well.

This book would be worth purchasing for the long list of read-aloud suggestions in the back, but Trelease's own reasons for turning off the TV are dead-on. So is his discussion on OWNING books as apposed to only going to the library. The library is a must, but ownerships means value to kids. Think about it. You own DVD's. You own video games. You must value those things. You need to own books to show their value. And, you can add this one to your list of books you own and items you value.

Chris Bowen
Author of, "Our Kids: Building Relationships in the Classroom"

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple advice...Read to your children, January 10, 2007
This review is from: The Read-Aloud Handbook: Sixth Edition (Paperback)
The research and explanations he gives for reading should motivate everyone to read. Funny thing is...the people who need to read this book probably won't because they don't like to read...so they don't read to children. Great points and goes hand in hand with information learned from college in the education department. Take the time to read to your kids...if you need drive to do it? Read his book. Highly recommend it! It will give your children a headstart in school! And Life!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for the library of a teacher or parent, February 3, 2007
LangArts teacher "Mag" (Vineland, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Read-Aloud Handbook: Sixth Edition (Paperback)
I found the Read Aloud Handbook to be a helpful guide and resource. In addition to shedding light on the value of reading aloud to children, there is an extensive list of suggested books for reading aloud to children of many ages.

As a teacher, I found alot of supportive documentation for reading aloud in the classroom. We have incorporated required read alouds as well as daily Silent Reading for all students in our district middle schools. I recommend this for teachers and particularly parents who question the value of reading aloud to children, as well as those who agree to "spare their children" the "punishment or burden" of recreational reading. Young people need to learn to appreciate the joy of reading. They are missing out on so much in so many ways.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better and Better, November 5, 2006
K. B. Holland (San Angelo, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Read-Aloud Handbook: Sixth Edition (Paperback)
Jim Trelease's books reviewing and recommending children's literature have improved with each edition since the first Read-Aloud Handbook in 1979. Great gifts for new parents and even grandparents, Trelease's books have always offered guidance into the labyrinth of books written for young children and young readers. From suggestions on how, when, and why to begin reading in utero to guidance for the later elementary child, this book also includes an excellent chapter on curtailing television. which is new from his first editions. My favorite chapter is "Lessons learned from Oprah Winfrey, Harry Potter, and the Internet."

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Home and Classroom Education, August 27, 2006
This review is from: The Read-Aloud Handbook: Sixth Edition (Paperback)
Who doesn't like to be read to? This book solidifies the feeling that reading to children builds their vocabulary, their desire to read and more over their ability to read fluently. It's all about modeling.

A quick read, backed by research and testimony. Read this, put the theory into action and change a life!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book created miracles for my handicapped boy, February 11, 2008
This review is from: The Read-Aloud Handbook: Sixth Edition (Paperback)
This book saved us from a lifetime of heartache. I read this book when my boy was very small. I did not know then that he was autistic, learning disabled, and hearing impaired. The school said he would never read. I homeschooled him using the knowledge I took from this book. I taught him to read by reading to him. Today he is in a Master's program for Library Science! Thank you Jim Trelease!

The Read-Aloud Handbook: Sixth Edition
The Read-Aloud Handbook: Sixth Edition by Jim Trelease (Paperback - July 25, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.01