5.0 out of 5 stars Elijah McCoy's Awesome Story!!!!!!!!!!
I think that this story really tells the story about Elijah McCoy. It gives very good details and gives interesting facts. I think that kids who want to learn ANYTHING about Elijah McCoy should read this book.
Published on March 9, 2006

Elijah McCoy really existed, and his inventions as described in this book are real. The book, to my knowledge, adequately and succinctly sums up his life.

Published on January 3, 2010 by Ulyyf

5.0 out of 5 stars Elijah McCoy's Awesome Story!!!!!!!!!!, March 9, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Real Mccoy, The: Life of an African-america Inventor (blr) (A Blue Ribbon Book) (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story about an underappreciated black inventor, one major flaw, January 3, 2010

Unfortunately, it spends a page or so talking about him as a spurious inspiration for the phrase "the real McCoy". Given that lubricators with his name on them weren't sold until the end of his life, and given that the expression has been attested to before the man was even *born*, that's incredibly unlikely, and a small amount of research would have shown the author that fact. It's even on the back cover that he's the origin of the phrase, and it's not true.

It seems like a small thing, but as I already knew this "fact" was wrong it meant I was in doubt about the veracity of the whole rest of the book and had to start confirming the details, fact by fact. I wouldn't expect a small child to do that. Factual books should be researched so they do not contain inaccuracies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, March 6, 2014
My Grandson had to do a History report on Elijah McCoy for Black history month and he isn't much of a reader so I thought a book on the subject would get him interested. This book had everything he needed for his report. The book was delivered before the date I was given and was so nice we have donated it to his school library.

5.0 out of 5 stars a story everyone should know, April 3, 2013
My five year old son is very interested in inventing, so we got him books on inventors. This story of the son of slaves gripped me and I think every American should read it.

Used & New from: $0.01