4.0 out of 5 stars Good news and bad news....
...the good news is this book does a sterling job of clarifying the entertaining, but often bewildering 90 min video that many of us have seen on Youtube and cable TV.

Published on January 25, 2012 by D. C. Wiggs

3.0 out of 5 stars Sugar the bitter truth
I gave this book 3 stars because the book was kinda hard to understand to me because I'm really young. I was using this book for a book report that I have for English. I tried to go out of my comfort zone a little but I went kinda far. I would mostly recommend this book for adults not children. But if kids want a challenge go for it, this book is for you.
Published 19 months ago by Shala

4.0 out of 5 stars Good news and bad news...., January 25, 2012
D. C. Wiggs (London, England) - See all my reviews

The bad news is that it makes it all too clear how simple it could be for Type 2 Diabetes and obesity to be avoided, by explaining in clear, every day English the horrific amount of sugar included in so much of the average American's diet.

(Ok, so that's not really bad news, unless you are the CEO of Coca Cola!)

Overall this is the perfect companion to Dr. Lustig's lecture, and a real eye opener as a standalone book even if you haven't seen or don't plan on seeing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really and truly PISSED ME OFF! Why? Because..., January 20, 2012
...I LOVE sugar. ..Actually I don't love "sugar" but I have a Sweet Tooth. This book made me realize that I was slowly killing myself with my love for sweets. That's the bad news. Now the good news is that it also helped me to see what I could do about it immediately and how I could take simple measures and still enjoy all the sweets I want ...safely. Obesity, cancers, cellular mutations ...a myriad of problems cause by this little addictive powder that we love so much. This book give the proven, verified, scientific evidence for the case against sugar and ...it's just a shame that more parents don't know about this. If they did they would STOP putting so much poison in their kids bodies. As a parent it made me make some immediate decisions for the sake of my kids ...who are extremely susceptible to this poison. I'm angry ...but I'm grateful to the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, December 1, 2011
I bought this after seeing Sugar The Bitter Truth. In addition to being the "cliffs notes" for the video, the additional material and analysis make a convincing argument about the negative health effects that increased sugar consumption over the last few decades has had. A great resource for anyone interested in health and nutrition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great companion to the video!, December 28, 2011
The Real Truth About Sugar walks you through the video-step by step. It is nicely set up and well written. You can easily refer back and forth between the video and the book. The advantages of owning this book are you get a well thought out, clarifying book on a potentially confusing topic. You get additional material that is not in the video, explanations, and analyses. For anybody who has seen the video or will see the video, this book is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, January 17, 2012
Wow this perfectly explains some mixed information that I had been hearing about. I could never get down to the real truth... the information in this book makes perfect sense and I love the link to the video!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Necessary Companion, January 16, 2012
As is made clear in the Product Description, this book provides a means to further assimilate the rapid-fire technical presentation by Dr. Robert Lustig's 1.5 hour "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" lecture, which has as of this writing been viewed almost 2,000,000 times on YouTube. As such it is a "must have" companion to Dr. Lustig's viral video blockbuster. If those were his students in the video watching and listening to his lecture, I can well imagine how much Samantha Quinn's work would have been worth to them. If you still believe that today's obesity crisis comes about because we eat too much and move too little, I encourage you to get this book and watch the video to get the real story.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ins and Outs of Sugar(s), January 21, 2012
KatieC (Southwest United States) - See all my reviews
This is an in-depth book looking at the sometimes political history of the many types of sugar used in the diet of the United States. While my family was looking to find more information about dietary sugar and corn syrup, we were given this book to help us in our study. Within the book, we found some hard-truth science about why we eat what we eat and how sugar, as the author describes, really might be a mild toxin of itself. There's a real blend of science and practical in the text, mixing chemistry ideas with a discussion of just what is in some foods at one of the leading fast-food eateries. This is a book for serious personal study. It is so completely referenced and thorough that you'll be glad you have it at your fingertips on your Kindle for repeated reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good write up, January 25, 2012
I read very quickly and get impatient watching videos, so this book was good to get as it takes us through the contents of Dr Lustig's lecture.

I've been banging on about sugar for some time and researching it - the information contained in the book is very helpful, and not at all simplistic. The author also brings in Gary Taubes whose research and writing I admire.

Well worth reading whether you're a lay or science person. It certainly makes one think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is Sugar Slowly Poisoning Us?, January 26, 2012
Is Sugar Slowing Poisoning Us?

In this book, you can read about an in-depth study into that very question. I learned an important fact that sugar is not toxic immediately but can develop into something that slowly poisons your system over a period of time. Every day someone you and I know are being diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. It is the lifestyle of too many cakes, cookies and the sugar contained within them all that eventually catches up with us. This is a very interesting explanation as to why and how that occurs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should know the truth about sugar!, April 6, 2012
JP (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This is a real eye-opener. Even though I watched the video, I still found the book immensely helpful in furthering my understanding exactly how truly poisonous surgar really is. This is one book I'll re-read and share with everyone in my family.

The Real Truth About Sugar: Dr. Robert Lustig's "Sugar: The Bitter Truth"
$10.95 $10.40