Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Reality Bug (Pendragon)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 15, 2005
The "Pendragon" series captures the reader's attention and draws you into a world of betrayal, suspense, and uniqueness! I have been reading the Pendragon series ever since one afternoon in fifth grade when one of my fellow peers recommended some book called "Pendragon." Sincerely, when reading the synopsis on the back of the book, I believed that it would be..."cheesie." I was WRONG! The one reason why the Pendragon series is a remarkable read is because it is distinct in its plot and words. When reading the Pendragon series, I stay up as late as 12:00 or 1:00am intensely devouring the words of each page. Embarrassingly to say, I am currently a seventh grader and am presently reading Book Five of the Pendragon series, "Black Water." Read the Pendragon series and you will be drawn into a world of intrigue, thrill, and you will endure the most spontaneous and surprising events you will ever read in a young adult book.
on June 21, 2004
Okay, I've heard of good books, but this one blew my socks off. Bobby Pendragon is a Traveler. He goes to a place called Veelox, which is completely deserted. Everyone is in virtual reality. The residents don't even know it, but their world is crumbling as they enjoy virtual reality! Bobby has to stop this. Awesome book, awesome plot awesome characters. YOU WILL LOVE IT!
on May 3, 2016
Don't know why the Pendragon series never got hugely popular; this is my second time reading it, and it's excellent. I wish every kid (and adult) would take the time, they wouldn't be disappointed. It's magical, suspense-filled, has villains, heroes, the works. I'm buying the series (again), because when my daughter left home, she took her copies with her and I want my own.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 16, 2011
The hype on this book is "fast-paced action and edge of your seat danger". That's fine, and that's what the book delivers.

Here's the problem. When the fast paced action subsides, there is always an undercurrent hinting that there will be a great back-story about Halla, and who Bobby is, and what Travelers are, and so on. This hinted at, promised overarching story is probably what keeps people coming back to this series and what gets them through the increasingly frantic storylines of the individual volumes.

Well, if you really like these characters or if you really like MacHale's volumes as stand-alones, good luck and good reading. If you're just toughing it out to get to the final volume payoff, you might want to consider skipping ahead a few books.
on October 21, 2013
I'm reading this series because my son read them and enjoyed them so much, and wanted to be able to talk about it with someone. Though this series is written for young teens, anyone who enjoys a good adventure will appreciate it. Cynical adults like myself will often see where the next turn might lead, but that doesn't take away from the truly amazing adventure at hand. MacHale has created a world (or worlds, or Halla, or territory, or...) that has its own rules, making it easy to achieve the required "suspension of disbelief" needed to lose oneself in this saga. One book in the series is not enough - you must read them all. this review will act as my commentary on the entire series. A+!
on January 28, 2007
This book seemed just a tad bit dreary as far as the world goes but nonetheless it was a totally great read!
on September 27, 2003
I have just started reading the Reality Bug and I think it is the best one in the series so far. I really like that Mark and Courtney have a bigger part in this book. I think they are a really important part of the story and I like to read about them. Plus, I think Veelox is a really cool territory and I can't wait to learn more about it. If you haven't read these books, you are missing out.
on July 14, 2006
The fourth book in the series has the same idea as the first three but has a wicked, sudden ending. It gets you ready to begin the fifth book as soon as you've finished.

But what makes this book better is that a lot more is revealed in this book than in the others. It kinda refreshes the series to keep as in depth as it has been. Satisfying fantasy read.
on September 16, 2015
I am an adult revisiting the Pendragon series, and they are just as entertaining as when I first picked them up in my younger years. I believe this book deserves five stars for the following reasons:
-The characters are complex. They change, and they have human personalities which face distinctly human issues: courage vs. cowardice, facing one's own self, discovering one's own motives and calling in the face of grief and harsh realities, and the ability to resolve issues not in an unbelievable traditional superhero way but in a disorganized way that leads to resolution of a crisis more through a combination of the luck and skills of many different people than through the greatness of the main character alone.
-The story is crazy! More than once while I was reading this book, I reflected that MacHale has an imagination the likes of which I rarely see in YA fantasy. I wish that I was in this guy's head!
-The environments in each of the Pendragon novels are uniquely captivating and thought-provoking. In this novel in particular, I enjoy the exploration of the concept of fantasy not only replacing reality, but becoming reality. It is food for thought in an age that prioritizes Internet access and which has an astonishingly large number of people who are glued to their computer games for hours and hours each day.

There are some weak points in this book. I do wish that the science behind Lifelight had been explained in more detail. The "Second Earth" portions of the book seem to have been overlooked by the editor. Grammar mistakes are more understandable when we are reading the perspective of a fifteen year old boy (i.e. ending sentences with "though"), and what we are reading are his journals to his friends, but I feel strongly that the third-person "Second Earth" chapters could have been written with more attention to grammar. This was also very noticeable to me in "The Lost City of Faar," so much so that I almost had to stop reading. But - and this is a big but - the stories are worth it. Each book of this series will have a special place on my bookshelf.
on April 20, 2004
The Reality Bug is an awsome book! I loved it and stayed up hours of the night reading anxious to see what happens next. The characters are so well developed. The plot and story line are exiting and kept me glued to the book hungry for more! I can't wait to the next book in the series comes out!