5.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing read!
Published on August 16, 2001 by Sally Baxter

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
This was an average historical/romance novel book that I picked-up on vacation (and left at the hotel when I was done). Not bad, not great, not challenging, not thought provoking, not riveting: nothing more than any other of the 1,000 other books of it's genre written every year. The glowing reviews, if noticed, are all blatantly from other authors.

The...
Published on May 19, 2005 by Louise

5.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing read!, August 16, 2001
Sally Baxter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rebel's Pledge (Paperback)
I have read many a historical romance novel, some I have loved, some I haven't, but I can safely say, without a shadow of a doubt, that The Rebel's Pledge was one of my true favourites. This delightful story not only captured my imagination effortlessly, but I felt as if I were watching this story unfolding upon a movie screen before me; that nuance of regret surfacing when it finally came to an end. Rita Gerlach's flawless ability to create a historical atmosphere or place pictures and faces in your mind without an abundance of needless description is immense. An over-descriptive story would usually find me skipping through paragraphs, but The Rebels Pledge had me wanting to read every single word. This novel transports you back in time and each uniquely characteristic person within the story can inveigle his or her own emotion from you through Rita's writing. I am, myself, an aspiring authoress of historical romance living in the UK and because of this, had to order this book, then wait patiently for some weeks for it to arrive. It was definitely worth the wait and I sincerely hope that one day not only will I write as lovely a story as The Rebels Pledge, but also become as gifted an author of historical romance as Rita Gerlach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure and Imagery, July 16, 2001
This review is from: The Rebel's Pledge (Paperback)
Rita Gerlach's first published novel is an excellent, adventurous read. Rita's use of imagery transports the reader into the story in a very absorbing way, vividly helping bring the story to life in your mind's eye. Coupled with this striking imagery, Rita's artistry blossoms further through a story line that keeps moving forward. Engrossing characters add further vigor to an already impressive novel. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Winner, February 9, 2002
Sally Madison (Frederick, Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rebel's Pledge (Paperback)
Ms. Gerlach has a real winner with her very first book. This novel, steeped in history, was such a fresh breath of air vis-a-vis the romantic content. Nothing more than a kiss or embrace was suggested, with all else left to the reader's imagination. I wasn't quite sure I'd be interested in reading about the long, long ago, but found myself hooked after the first page. Her description of life as it was in the 1700's was fascinating to say the least. One didn't just hop in their car to visit a neighbor; travel was a matter of days, not minutes or hours. Although you may think the ending was predictable, the author kept you guessing right to the very end. This is one of very few books that truly "kept me awake"! On more than one occasion, I was close to watching the sun rise, only because I kept saying, "Just one more page, just one more page . . ." I'm sure everyone will enjoy this great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Swashbuckling Suspense, December 17, 2001
This review is from: The Rebel's Pledge (Paperback)
The Rebel's Pledge is a tremendous book with imagery that is as visually sharp as a movie, sensitive characterization and a plot that keeps going and going like the Everyready battery--you just don't want to put the book down, and you don't want to leave the characters at the end of the story either. They are developed with an astute grasp of what inner conflicts they had to overcome as well as the tensions between characters that the author played out convincingly in dialogue that reflects the time and historical setting as well as in narration. Perhaps most admirable is the author's ability to achieve real romance without dallying in erotica. She proves the reader's imagination is fertile enough. For a first novel, I was truly impressed. It is a story that will carry the reader away from daily concerns.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stirring narrative of love and retribution., August 10, 2002
Abby M. Parks (Oxford, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rebel's Pledge (Paperback)
Perhaps my favorite aspect of this tale is the descriptive prose that seems to pour out on the page fluidly. The author has a talent for describing scenery and nature, as well as her characters' unique attributes. Bold narrative drives the scene where pirates attack Hale's ship so that the reader feels he/she is a member of the crew that must fight to survive against impossible odds. The author also delves into the age-old theme of class, aptly conveying the problems of a gentle lady marrying beneath her birth at a time where to do so was reprehensible in the eyes of British gentility. Overall, this is a tale brimming with intrigue, adventure, and romance. One can not help but feel a part of another world when reading THE REBEL'S PLEDGE, which is a glowing account of life in 17th century Maryland as well as England. Through her realistic characterizations and poetic prose, Rita Gerlach has spun a tale well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars www.coloradowriter.homestead.com, May 27, 2002
This review is from: The Rebel's Pledge (Paperback)
I seldom read or review novels of this genre but Rita Gerlach's , The Rebel's Pledge grabbed my attention from the very first page and held it to the very end. Set in the late 17th century during the English Rebellion, Mathew Hale, a rebel, is captured and sent to the colonies to live out his life as a slave. Through circumstances, his own courageous will and a beneficent Master, Edmund Carey, Mathew is set free and charged to return to England and retrieve Carey's estranged daughter, Laura. Mathew & Laura find love, but a spurned lover, Mathew's tainted past, and the class distinctions of the times, find them also and it leads to human drama that spans two continents. The Rebel's Pledge is a novel of epic proportions and throughout it all, the author remains true to the history of the period and weaves a marvelous story of romance and adventure that is as good as it gets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting from start to finish!, July 9, 2001
This review is from: The Rebel's Pledge (Paperback)
The Rebel's Pledge is an exciting story from start to finish. Through her writing, the author took me to a place long ago with this captivating story. I could imagine walking in the English garden with Lady Laura or sailing into the port at St. Mary's. The description were so clear that I had no problem putting myself in the charters shoes. I loved each and every page.
Being a new mother, it is hard finding the time to read. But once I started reading The Rebel's Pledge I looked forward to my baby's bedtime so I could read. I was hooked from the very first chapter. It was refreshing to read a love story that wasn't full of vulgarity and heavy sex. It was romantic without being hooky. The book was filled with twists and turns that kept me guessing.
The Rebel's Pledge is a wonderful story full of intrigue, love and faith in God. I would recommend it to everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, May 19, 2005
This review is from: The Rebel's Pledge (Paperback)

The vocabulary never exceeded a 7th grade level and the author has the irritating habit of using series of very short sentences starting with pronouns instead of using colons or semi-colons. It wasn't clear at times which 'He' or 'It' was being referenced.

Easy read that was easily forgotten when I was done. Ok for free or from a yard sale but (...)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must Reat, May 14, 2004
This review is from: The Rebel's Pledge (Paperback)
The Rebel's Pledge takes us back to a time in America's early history. A time when a man's worth was something to be gained. Matthew Hale, the hero of the story, faces some of life's hardest blows and endures with a strenghtened faith in God. Gerlach takes us from an English prison to a colony plantation and back to England. The Rebel's Pledge is a journey all romantic readers will enjoy - Cynthia Hickey, author of Pursued by Evil

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerlach does it again! Epic Colonial Romance!, June 24, 2012
K. Vogel (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rebel's Pledge (Kindle Edition)
Rita Gerlach has a talent to draw you into another world and era; this book does not disappoint. A romantic suspense so beautifully written, I think if Jane Austen could read this book, she'd clap. Why? Gerlach has strong Christian and social justice themes in this book, with no gray areas as far as moral purity and honor is concerned...just like Jane. Highly recommended.

The Rebel's Pledge