Published on December 6, 2008 by GREEN BAY PACKERS IQ author

3.0 out of 5 stars Mean Jean the Recess Queen
My kids like this book, I think it is ok! It is the illustrations that really make it. As for sending a message about bullying....it isn't crystal clear!It's nice enough, my kids like it and that is what matters!Recommended for 4-7 year olds.
Published on April 25, 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Elementary Principal's favorite book to read to his students!, December 6, 2008
This review is from: The Recess Queen (Hardcover)
I have read hundreds, if not thousands, of children's books to my students and to my own children. Of all the books I have ever read aloud to children, this one is hands down my favorite! It reads like jazz tugging on heart strings. Powerful insights into playground bullying, school violence, and poor self-esteem are weaved through character education lessons for traits like integrity, citizenship, equality, and courage (to list only a few) that resonate with children and adults of all ages. If this one is not in your possession, consider yourself lucky that you stumbled upon it and will be adding it to your collection with your next mouse click. I give it my highest possible rating!

5.0 out of 5 stars School Counselor, February 2, 2003
This review is from: The Recess Queen (Hardcover)
Wonderful resource when having difficulties with bullies. We will be using this one on our unit on bullies. Sometimes using your humor to disarm a bully is just what is needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoppity, skippity, jumpity, ringity, zingity, YESSSSSS!, March 10, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Recess Queen (Hardcover)
I recently read this book to a first grade class. The children loved the fabulous illustrations and the fun rhyming language in the story. Of the 4 books I read the girls seemed to all prefer The Recess Queen. I am going to look up other books by both the author and illustrator. They both have great style.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Recess Queen, October 11, 2005
Jennifer Hegerty (Worthington, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Recess Queen (Hardcover)
I used this book as a teaching tool in my new student group. The students loved the story and how a new student can shake up the recess bully just by inviting her to play. I used the story as a tool for teaching about bullying and means for stopping the bullying. Great story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme book for kids, March 19, 2013
This review is from: The Recess Queen (Hardcover)
Have you ever thought about the best children's book? Keep reading this review to find out why we think it's The Recess Queen! One reason is because it has silly, made up words in it that we think are funny. Another reason is because it has nice, detailed pictures. Next, we can learn from the characters to stand up for yourselves, and we can also learn that one way to stop a bully is to be nice to them!Now you know why we think this is a great book! Be sure to pick one up!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mean Jean the Recess Queen, April 25, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Recess Queen (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Every mother of a child starting school for the first time needs this!, April 6, 2008
Tina L. Moore (Fayetteville, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Recess Queen (Paperback)
This book was recommended by a school counselor when my child was having problems adjusting to kindergarten. Going from a class of 12 in Pre-k to a class of 20 can be overwhelming. Today, kids have to deal with so much so soon and making friends can be a challenge. Feelings can be easily hurt and different personalities are eminent. This book teaches kids about how to act when someone is bossy or a bully. It also teaches them to stick up for themselves. Not only is it a great book to have, but it's a great teacher gift too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, November 20, 2013
This review is from: The Recess Queen (Hardcover)
The Recess Queen is about a horrible bully that makes everybody do stuff after her. Until one day, a girl named Katie Sue, a tiny kid saves the day. When it comes to recess, she helps out. Will mean Jean stand for this or not?
I think this is a good book because just helping out one person can help out can help a lot of people. Voila! That’s about the world’s greatest book. (Book Review by a third grade student)

4.0 out of 5 stars sing - songy book, September 29, 2009
This review is from: The Recess Queen (Hardcover)
Mean Jean is the class bully. How will new kid Katie Sue interact with the bully? The text is sing-songy, like chants on a playground and the author makes up some words. This is a pretty entertaining book with a suprising and satisfying ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bully for Alexis O'Neill, March 20, 2002
This review is from: The Recess Queen (Hardcover)
Ms. O'Neill has taken on the (very current) topic of school yard bullies in a very good way. This book should be a hit with any parent whose children are in the early school years.

The Recess Queen
The Recess Queen by Alexis O'Neill (Hardcover - February 1, 2002)
$16.99 $13.25