5.0 out of 5 stars A Hilarious Cold-War Period Piece
I read Mr. Maltin's brief review and was astonished that somebody who is in the business of reviewing films could so easily write this movie off. This film is hilarious; it has an innocence that we don't see much anymore. Don Knotts was a comedic genius, I'd without hesitation put him on a par with Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy, The Three Stooges, Jim Carey. He...
Published on September 18, 2001 by Tome Raider

3.0 out of 5 stars The Reluctant Astronaut
You gotta love Don Knotts. . . always the nervously dimwitted goof-up! There is something endearing about his naive harebrained ways. Knotts plays a humble small town carnival ride operator by the name of Roy Fleming. His father, Buck, who has bigger aspirations for his son, signs Roy up for the space program. Despite the fact that Roy is happy living his simple life, he...
Published on November 17, 2000 by Beverly Kaynes

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun family movie that all can watch., April 24, 2014
This review is from: The Reluctant Astronaut (DVD)
I have other Don Knots movies and they are fun to watch. Now I have grandkids and they just love his movies. The first was The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, they just laugh through out the whole movie. Now we watch a lot of The Reluctant Astronaut. The part they love the most is when he takes this doll with him that makes noise, they sit and wait for that to happen. This is a fun clean movie for the whole famly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Reluctant Astronaut - DVD, March 16, 2014
This review is from: The Reluctant Astronaut (DVD)
Product arrived early and in excellent condition. I barely remember this movie as I was really young when it came out but after viewing it I found it to be quite entertaining and funny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun movie, March 14, 2014
This review is from: The Reluctant Astronaut (DVD)
As far fetched as this movie was, if you study the story of Apollo 13 it isn't much different to how they got back to earth.

3.0 out of 5 stars Contrived, goofy Don Knotts film for the family, March 6, 2014
This review is from: The Reluctant Astronaut (DVD)
Silly 1960's goofiness with Don Knotts sent up into space. You can almost see the producers back in the 60's talking about this one: "Let's take Don Knotts, send him off into space, and, haha, make him afraid of heights!" It works. It's utterly mindless and made the kids laugh. The story is fairly predictable: Knotts is a complete goofball who is volunteered to be part of an experiment sent into space (as part of an implausible US experiment to send someone completely incompetent into space to prove that... I dunno, they can send anyone into space, so there, Soviets!) I was half expecting this to be a "Spacecamp" formula, and it did seem to be heading that way at times, like when Knotts dons a spacesuit to show off for his Dad and friends. I was half expecting him to get hurried off to a ship and sent out. Like I said, it's all mindless fun.
One observation about the music: not sure who composed it, but the repeating theme throughout the film sounds just like the "muffin man" song, and I had that jungle stuck in my head for a long time after watching this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Favorite to share the fun forever with your loved ones, September 26, 2013
This review is from: The Reluctant Astronaut (DVD)
The Reluctant Astronaut starring Don Knotts is a time old tradition of family values, and family fun, that can be shared through the ages, now it is a High Quality Digital master DVD. This classic comedy is just as much fun to watch now, as it was when it first saw the silver screen, I Love it, My Whole Family loves it, and this DVD gets viewed (& Shared with friends on Movie Night) Again and Again, It's Pure Gold. Another favorite Classic is Robinson Crusoe On Mars, a truly well done epic for its time, and for our time now also. Robinson Crusoe on Mars (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]

5.0 out of 5 stars DON KNOTTS IS A GREAT SUPPORTING ACTOR, September 4, 2013
This review is from: The Reluctant Astronaut (DVD)
I like all of Don Knotts' movies. I purchased several of his movies so I could lay in bed and enjoy some funny entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful fun movie, August 9, 2013
This review is from: The Reluctant Astronaut (DVD)
We were looking for something for the whole family to watch and this was perfect - all ages and guys and gals enjoyed !
Funny and wholesome, cute storyline. Don Knotts is always entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relucant Astronaut, July 1, 2013
This review is from: The Reluctant Astronaut (DVD)
I have always liked Don Knotts. He is so funny in this movie. I laugh every time I watch it

5.0 out of 5 stars Don Knotts, hilarious, June 27, 2013
This review is from: The Reluctant Astronaut (DVD)
very, very funny. I have always enjoyed him on Andy Griffith, but this was even better. I laughed until I was in tears. Great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Old Movie!, April 28, 2013
This review is from: The Reluctant Astronaut (DVD)
I love Don Knotts and all his movies. I just have to have everything he makes. This one is just the same corny funny as all his others!

The Reluctant Astronaut
The Reluctant Astronaut by Edward J. Montagne (DVD - 2003)
$14.98 $9.04