Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

on December 9, 2009
Please note the picture on the tin. The tin shows both green tea leaves, and matcha powder. The product description also states that this product is "organic green tea powder known as matcha with fine, organic green leaf tea". In other words, the tea bag contains green tea leaves, along with a bit of matcha powder. Someone looking for true "matcha" will be disappointed.

I find this to be an excellent tea if you are the casual tea drinker, or someone looking for a healthy, tasty and organic green tea (with a bit of added benefit of the matcha powder). If you are a true matcha drinker, then this is not the product for you.

I really enjoy this tea!
on April 27, 2010
When I saw this at the store, I thought, "Wow! How did they capture the flavor of matcha in a tea bag?" The short answer is: they didn't.

This is an acceptable (not great) plain green tea. The flavor is a bit stale, but I recognize that we're talking about pre-bagged leaves. It's certainly nothing to write home about. It also brews up weak for a green tea (and I'm familiar with how green tea should brew - I'm not comparing it to a black tea).

My major issue with this tea is the same issue that the first reviewer had. It is misleading to label this as "matcha tea powder with green tea leaves", because that statement implies that it will taste like matcha mixed with green tea. The actual tea does not deliver on this promise. There is no matcha flavor whatsoever to this tea when brewed. It tastes like a straight green tea (and as I mentioned previously, not even a very good green tea). Where's the matcha???

The reality is that it was silly of me to get sucked in by their marketing, because there's simply no way that the matcha experience can be recreated in a teabag. Here's why, for those of you who are interested:

Matcha tea is prepared in a completely different manner than green tea brewed from leaves. If you're reading this review, you already know that making green tea from leaves involves pouring hot water over the dried leaves/teabag, allowing it to steep, then removing the leaves/teabag. In comparison, matcha tea is made by placing a scoopful of matcha powder in a bowl, adding hot water, and then whisking with a bamboo tea whisk until the powder is completely dissolved into the water. How can that be recreated in a teabag? It can't be. In these teabags, there's only an extremely minor amount of matcha powder, not even enough to even be noticeable in flavor. Plus, you're not whisking it to create the distinctive matcha consistency. These are just teabags that have been lightly dusted with matcha powder to create a puff of green powder when you open the tin, so you think you're getting your "matcha money's worth" for buying this flavor instead of regular green tea.

Sorry, Republic of Tea. I usually enjoy your teas, but this one fell far short. I won't be buying it again.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2012
I have to agree with some other reviewers who thought they'd taste more of the matcha flavor. Indeed it just tastes like green tea. I bought it at a health food store for 10 dollars, but I see some have paid up to 14 dollars.
on July 28, 2011
This tea is just plain green chinese tea, and not good green tea at that. Disappointed and will take it back to whole foods to get my money as paying $14 for
tea that you can get for $5 is not a great idea. The matcha powder is not even present - just the dust! what a let down... republic of tea is getting worse in quality. Rishi or Numi tea is much better.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2015
I have been drinking this green tea for years and absolutely no other green tea compares but pure quality matcha. This product is exactly what is says it is, green tea bags, powdered with matcha. Delicious, not bitter, but strong nonetheless. One thing, buy it online, because I wasted too much money over-paying for it at Whole Food and Fresh Market.
on September 20, 2014
I'm just reviewing this as green tea. From what I understand Matcha is just super high quality green tea, and would probably go for closer to $50 if this was legit match tea. This is better than brands Stash, Bigelow, and Yogi.......... The Republic of Tea brand is less bitter while maintaining a rich green tea taste.

I don't know of higher quality for the price. That's really what it's all about. A real matcha runs at best price $25 per ounce, I paid $17 for 50 cups worth. If there is better for that price, I will buy that instead.

This is my list of green teas and how they stack up.

Stash Organic Green Tea: This is a much more mild tea. Not bitter, but not a very strong green tea flavor. For the most part it is pleasant to drink, but tastes similar to a watered down version of The Republic Of Tea version.
on March 27, 2011
I bought this tea yesterday, splurging $13.49 at Central Market. Maybe my expectations were too high, but this was a big let down. It's not strong or flavorful enough. When I order green matcha tea at the bookstore it is delicious, strong and flavorful.(not sugared up) Wouldn't recommend it. You can buy green tea at Costco that is just as good for a fraction of the price.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2014
The matcha part is misleading. It should say Double green with a hint of Matcha. But even as a green tea it is very weak. It's like drinking a cup of hot water with a pinch of Matcha. It is USDA Organic so maybe that is why it is weaker. If that's the case then I can accept that.
on March 29, 2015
If you're like me, you know you enjoy full leaf and bagged green tea and you want to try matcha for its purported smooth flavor and concentrated green tea awesomeness, but maybe you're not ready to dish out $50 for an ounce of high quality matcha powder. This tea is a good way to bridge the gap. The matcha powder infuses the tea with a bright green cloudiness, and the tea itself is gray and smooth with no unwarranted bitterness. The cup size is a bit smaller than average, 6oz instead of the usual 8oz for other teas. Subsequent steepings would likely lack the full flavor, as most of the matcha dissolves into the first cup, so 50 bags may not last long for the avid tea drinker. Also I found it strange that the recommended steeping time is 1-3 minutes, as a time longer than about 1 minute teams to leave green tea bitter, but I can report that 2 minutes was just about right for this tea.
All in all, the flavor lacked boldness and depth, which I've come to expect from other green teas, but it was still grassy and fresh.
I found this tea in the tea display at BooksAMillion for $12.99, which would be cheaper with club membership, so I think it was a good buy.
on June 7, 2015
First off the Republic of Tea has great customer service. My original order never showed and they promptly redelivered with an alternate company, no questions asked. They also throw in some yummy samples of teas I have never tried.

I consider myself someone who knows a little more than the average bear about tea drinking. As the picture shows, there is matcha and then there is a leaf so this is a tea bag with a mixture within it. I also have matcha in a tin, which i use to mix with almond milk for a snack or something refreshing when i want a change from warm tea.I think this product is mild and quite lovely. It tends to be my morning drink, with local honey. I am not always interested in black teas in the AM as i get migraines from a lot of caffeine, so this tends to give me a kick but not too much. It's pricey, but its quality so I don't have a problem spending this every few months.

See 1 answered question