Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$10.46

VINE VOICEon January 30, 2004
Stephen O'Malley was a paramedic. After watching his sister, Jennifer, die of cancer, and seeing all the horrible things his profession sent his way for over ten years, Stephen was running away from everything ... including God.
Meghan "Meg" Delhart had worked in an emergency room of a major hospital until the night a driver ran her car off a bridge and caused her to become blind. She began helping her father in his health clinic in Silverton, Illinois. But life in a small town was not always slow and uneventful. Stolen jewels were turning up in the oddest places. Someone had been walking through her house and going through her things. So she turned to the one person she knew she could trust, the man she had had a crush on since was a teen, Stephen.
***** No one blends family and faith with heart pounding action like Dee Henderson! This author just ROCKS! This book, "The Rescuer", marks the end of the O'Malley Family series. In this story the main characters are Stephen and Meghan, yet many of the other members of the O'Malley clan appear. There is stolen jewelry, fraud, murder, kidnapping, medical traumas, Stephen slowly learning faith, tornados ... the list of actions just go on and on! It is as if the author poured her heart and soul into this story. Perhaps she did, since this is the last. As the reader, I sure did not want this series to end. An awesome ending to a thrilling series. Highly recommended! *****
Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.
on September 9, 2003
I have really enjoyed reading the O'malley series in its entirety over the course of the summer. One of my friends at college who is a christian suggested that I give these books a try because they featured, "a lot of doctors," and delt with a lot more than Christianity.
I am not a Christian and have never bought in to any real religious faith, but I am a premed student so I wanted to see how Henderson painted the medical profession which was the origional reason I decided to give the series a try.
I found myself being drawn in to the plot of the series from the first page of book number one.
I particularly enjoyed reading about Jennifer and felt for her as she battled with cancer. I also enjoyed the messages of the books and came to a new understanding of the importance of friends and family, and exactly what makes people happy and what is important in life.
Jennifer's story though not true inspired me even more to become a doctor because I saw first hand how much she touched her pediatric patients and what her profession and family meant to her.
I also found Henderson's discription of medical settings and professionals to be extremely acuraten and was impressed by that fact. I could clearly picture for instance the gracy area behind Hopkins where the O'malley's spent the day during Jenifer's gruling hospital stays.
I also found myself drawn to Lisa and Stephen and thought that the author did an excellent job of portraying the stresses of practicing medicine in an Urban area.
Although I did not readily except the Christianity in these books I found a great deal to identify with as a person who is not a Christian and thought that Henderson was extremely realistic in her portrait of a family battling cancer and the struggles associated with that reality.
These books are worth reading for anyone who is considering medicine as a career because they offer a different prespective in to the life of a physician and are extremely suspensful and romantic besides. Both Christians and others will be able to identify with these books which present an excellent picture of reality.
on March 26, 2003
The Rescuer is another great O�Malley tale. The book is very well written, though Dee takes a slightly different approach to this novel. In the previous O�Malley tales, the villains are kept pretty low-key and mysterious � the reader is working to figure out who-dun-it. In this story, the reader is given the story of the bad guys, as well as the story of Stephen O�Malley.
The previous O�Malley book, the Healer, kept me pulled in very close � it was an emotional book on several levels. The Rescuer did not pull me in quite the same way. Stephen O�Malley is struggling on several levels � he�s feels alone (he�s the last single O�Malley) and he�s grieving over the death of his sister. The book had the potential to be very emotional, but it did not seem to me to catch the depth of Stephen�s struggle.
The book also didn�t bring me closure with the whole O�Malley clan. It makes me wonder if Henderson is leaving the door open for future O�Malley projects, even though this book is slated as the final of the series. I would love it greatly if she would continue to write about the O�Malleys. They are a great family, and in several ways model what many families should be.
Those things aside, Henderson gives us an interesting story of three jewelry thieves. She portrays the intensity of crime and distrust among thieves pretty well. The characters face the consequences of their actions that they did not consider early in their turn to crime. We also see how small beginnings become more than one can handle over time. The web becomes tangled so quickly and innocents get caught up in treachery unexpectedly.
The leading lady in this novel is blind. I thought Henderson did a good job, even if it is basic, of showing me what blind people deal with in daily life. She expanded my ability to understand and empathize with blind people.
Please do not read my review in the wrong way � this is an excellent story. But, like the previous O�Malley story, this is not the place to begin � read the others first. I hope you enjoy them thoroughly. I certianly have!
on May 31, 2003
Dee Henderson, you're an incredible writer, my hat off to you! The sixth book of the O'Malley series, "The Rescuer" is a captivating and thrilling story! And if you've read all the previous books and loved them as much as I do, I'm sure you feel a part of the O'Malley family now!
The O'Malley family consists of seven brothers and sister, three boys and four girls. Since they were little they had been in the same orphanage and when they got out of the orphanage, they decided to 'adopt' each other, taking the name O'Malley as their family name. They all have very important jobs, Marcus is a U.S. Marshal, Kate a negotiator for hostage situations, botched-up robberies, etc., Jennifer is a doctor, Jack a fireman, Stephen a paramedic, Rachel a trauma psychologist, and Lisa is a forensic pathologist. This story is about Stephen O'Malley, 'the rescuer'.
Stephen O'Malley is a paramedic and he has been saving lives and rescuing people all his life. Now he's feeling insecure about himself and his life; his sister Jennifer has died from cancer and he can't come to terms to having to live without her. As for the rest of the O'Malleys, they are all Christians now, are all attached being either married or engaged, and have a sense of peace. Stephen on the other hand feels left out, he hasn't found someone special in his life and can't believe in a God he doesn't want to trust.
Meghan Delhart has had a crush on Stephen since at a very young age. She is blind because of a terrible accident years before. She knows that Stephen is hurting and will do anything to help him. But she also knows she can't become too close to him, she believes in her personal Savior Jesus while Stephen tries to run away from the truth.
Stolen jewels start to turn up at the strangest of places. And it seems that the criminal conspiracy is somehow connected to Meghan. Stephen will go to the greatest of lengths to protect and help her out, and before he knows it, he soon finds himself falling for her. But first he must work out the turmoil in his heart and search for the peace which has been eluding him all these years. Can Jesus Christ be the answer, can Stephen put his trust in the God he has been running away from? But time is running out, the race is on to find out about the jewels before the thieves do.
"The Rescuer" has got to be on of my most favorite of the O'Malley series, including "The Negotiator" and "The Guardian". It's not a real mystery story, but be assured there is a lot of suspense and intrigue! And the love story is an interesting one, Stephen and Meghan have been friends for years but cannot be anything more because of different beliefs. Stephen hasn't been mentioned that much in the previous books but here we get to know a lot about him. I really like his character, he's so believable and sounds like a great person to have as a friend. Meghan is also a good character, Dee Henderson gives us a look at the life of the blind in Meghan. I can highly recommend this book though I suggest you read the series in order. It's too bad this is the last of the series, maybe Dee Henderson will give us more stories on the second generation O'Malleys!
These are five books in the O'Malley Series in order, all highly recommended:
#1 "The Negotiator", Kate O'Malley's story. One of the best of the series.
#2 "The Guardian", Marcus O'Malley's story, the oldest of the O'Malleys. A great love story with an incredibly suspenseful plot!
#3 "The Truth Seeker", Lisa O'Malley's story, very suspenseful!
#4 "The Protector", Jack O'Malley's story, not as good as the previous three books yet still enjoyable.
#5 "The Healer", Rachel O'Malley's story.
#6 "The Rescuer", Stephen O'Malley's story. One of the BEST books I've ever read!
Other books by Dee Henderson are:
"Danger in the Shadows", written before "The Negotiator" whose main character is the sister of Kate O'Malley's boyfriend, Sara and Walsh
#1 "True Devotion", the first in the Uncommon Heroes Series tells about the Navy SEALs.
#2 "True Valor", about Navy Pilot Gracie and Air Force Pararescuer Bruce.
#3 "True Honor", the best of the series so far with Navy SEAL Sam 'Cougar' Houston and CIA officer Darcy St. James.
#4 "True Courage", supposed to be coming out soon. I can't wait! It's all about the FBI and I'm so excited to read it!
on May 14, 2014
Stephen is the last holdout. The obstacles to him accepting Christ are are centered not on the truth and validity of the Bible - he has come to believe. No, for him the obstacle is whether he is willing to pay the price of following Jesus. He has too much integrity to be a lukewarm Christian, and he thinks he will have to follow a bunch of rules he would only fail to keep. He is afraid of trying to be a Christian and failing, disappointing God and disappointing family. He has trouble believing the God of the universe really wants a personal friendship with him. His journey is compelling and very believable. It gives me a lot of insight into a powerful stumbling block.

Oh, and the sub-plot, considered by many to be the plot, is fascinating. It is the only Dee Henderson book in which too many of the details are left to the reader's imagination. How did Jonathan gets the initial photos of the jewelry and how did he get the women to wear those exact pieces of jewelry a second time without raising any suspicions?
on March 19, 2003
Wow! Dee has done it again. This is an excelent book. The Healer made you cry because of their loss, but this one helps you deal with that sorrow, and start again. I love how Dee takes real characters and puts them in situations that are extreme, but gives them real emotions.
This is the last of the O'Malley books and we get to finally meet Stephen. Although I am very dissapointed that this ends the story of the O'Malley, I am looking forward to her next series, The Uncomon Heroes. Take my advice, if you like romance, suspense and a good story, read Dee Henderson!
on April 29, 2015
I loved the O'Malleys. as I finished one book I would be so excited for the next one. The characters are well developed, to the point that you can picture each one in your mind. The combination of romance, suspense and, best of all, salvation make these books a delight to read. I recommend them highly!
on May 15, 2015
"The Rescuer" is the last story in the O'Malley series (unfortunately). Mrs. Henderson did a beautiful job of closing out the series. After the previous book, "The Healer", I'm glad that Mrs. Henderson made this book a bit more lighthearted. I found myself able to laugh again with these characters that I've grown to love. Of all of the siblings, Jack and Stephen are my favorite brothers and Kate and Jennifer would be my favorite sisters, although I love the nuisances of their personalities in each book. Stephen is running from everything, life, heartache, his job, family. He's searching for answers to his pain and restlessness and is just tired of being tired, hurt, and loss. Meghan is the perfect woman to help Stephen heal and help him find answers. I absolutely loved Meghan. She felt real and like I could relate to her. The one thing that I would say about the book is that I wish that we got to see more of the other family members, given that this was the last book. Granted, at this point the family is doubled in size but it feels like some of the characters you saw them in their book, then not again...like Shari and Cassie (both of who I love!). They popped up in other books but didn't really have any interactions with anyone, it was just mentioned that they were there. It would have been nice to see one last basketball game between all of the brothers and in-laws, since that was such a huge thing that the family did together. I am thankful that this book wasn't overly sad and that Jennifer's diary only popped up a couple of times. Of all of the books, my favorites were "Jennifer: An O'Malley Love Story" (her and Tom's story), "The Protector" (Jack and Cassie's story and actually the first book that I read of the series), and "The Rescuer" (Stephen and Meghan's story). I really enjoyed this series. Once I started reading, I didn't want to put the books down. "The Rescuer" is a beautiful ending to a beautiful series.
on August 8, 2014
Like the other books in this series, The Rescuer combines romance and adventure in the tale of the search for the ultimate love relationshiip, that which we may en;joy with Jesus Christ both now and forever. Meghan is a terrific character and love interest for Stephen O'Malley and as with the O'Malley brothers and sisters themselves quickly becomes a friend for the reader. I have this and the other books in the series in paperback, on Kindle and on Audible and they are all part of my list of books I will read over and over again.
on September 22, 2014
Once again...I couldn't put the book down, and this is my 2nd time to read this series. You will love the way this book closes out the O'Malley family, although I wish there were more books to read. Will have to find more Dee Henderson books I haven't read yet!