Published on November 12, 2009 by Niven

2.0 out of 5 stars Wholly underwhelming
A few weeks ago, two albums were released on the same day by two of my favorite bands: The Incident from Porcupine Tree, and The Resistance by Muse. This should have been the best week of the year for me, as far as music is concerned. The Incident wasn't bad; it was somewhat middling. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about Resistance.

I should preface...
Published on October 7, 2009 by J. Pager

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost didn't write this, but the other reviews made me laugh..., November 12, 2009
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
Especially the one about "old-man emo". That was pretty funny. I'm an "old man" that has just recently discovered Muse (after hearing "Knights of Cydonia" on Guitar Hero when it first came out) and finding a lot to enjoy here. Part of the reason that Muse gets a bad rap is because 1. they sound so much like Queen and U2 (listen to "Map of the Problematique" again if you don't agree with the U2 reference), and 2. most of their stuff never makes it onto radio, at least not enough for DJ's to tell listeners who they are. This is a crying shame. Back in my day, we had "emo" too, except we called it "glam", and the artists were considered ground-breaking. It's too bad that we have degenerated into a society where we don't appreciate songs on the basis of whether or not we actually enjoy them - we have to analyze the details of their construction and bash every artist who emulates one of their glam-heyday heroes.

So is Resistance Muse's way of getting onto the radio? There's nothing wrong with this Muse CD - it might even be my favorite one by them if I had never heard Black Hole and Revelations - but it certainly represents a shift in how they view themselves and how they want the public to view them. This is a step in the direction of being less serious, and being more fun, in my opinion. My advice for the first-time listener is to embrace Black Holes, give this CD a shot if you decide you like what you hear there, and not dig too deep on The Resistance, since Muse will be what they want to be, and we (as listeners) should appreciate them for what they create. Long time listeners will want to read Chris Billings' review (above) for track info and comments, although I would have to say I place this CD just slightly ahead of Absolution for listen-ability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, but very impressed with the guts this cd took to release, September 15, 2009
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
I've been obsessed with Muse since Origin of Symmetry and I'll have to say this cd worried me when I first heard Uprising before it's release. First off, a little background for me. I play in an instrumental prog/experimental band and run a small recording studio. Other bands I adore are Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Opeth, Pink Floyd, Dredg, and Sigur Ros to name a few...

With that said, Absolution is my favorite Muse hands down. I was slightly bummed by the direction the last album took and was unsure of the future of Muse. HAARP rid me of my fears there.

The Resistance (after many listens) is a huge step in a new direction that they were only pointing at with Black Holes and Revelations. The problem with this album is its song placement and short length for this wide array of styles. If they wanted to really explore each of these areas and sounds, then I believe another 15 minutes or so divided between each style would help solidify this album and make it their cornerstone.

Uprising - This is a good track but no way to start off the cd. This song does not represent the rest of the album at all even if it is powerful and catchy with a great sing-along chorus

The Resistance - The first track that caught my ears on the cd, the title track is definitely a standout with an even balance of creativity and catchiness. I relate this track to Map of the Problematique off their last cd, until the prechorus where it reverts into a style not heard since Absolution. Great bass work on this song.

Undisclosed Desires - the most underrated track on the cd. As poppy as this track seems on the first listen, it is an incredibly gutsy track to add to the disk.. This really reminds me of something from Thom Yorke's Eraser cd, on steroids...with a more glammy Matt Bellamy flair to it. I actually realllly like this track when I don't think of it in the context of the rest of the album. If there were some sort of lead in/out tracks for this it would possibly make more sense and be more at home on the album.

United States of Eurasia - Love this track. It has all those Muse elements that everyone has loved throughout their career. There is the definite Queen influence here, but it was just as noticeable on Knights of Cydonia... Never-the-less its still an amazingly good and epic track. What other rock band uses Chopin? seriously people...

Guiding Light - Eh, it's ok. By no means a bad track, but nothing i'm going to write home about. It does its job.. fill the spot after United States of Eurasia when you are still thinking...what the hell just happened?!?

Unnatural Selection - New Born?? catchy tho.

I Belong to You - A strong look at their earlier work with a fun break in the intensity, the French is a nice addition as well. Fun track.

Exogenesis Symphony - THIS IS THE MUSE I'VE BEEN WAITING TO HEAR! as the Overture begins I feel that there is something amazing getting ready to happen.. and it does.. from Matt Bellamy's own excellent orchestrations to the chord progression to his falsetto melody over the top.. this track is incredible. The second and third pieces are perfectly done as well. This is the set of tracks that should've been the big centerpiece to this album to really wow fans. Instead it is tacked on the end like some last minute stroke of genius.

If I were setting up the track listing here to make this a successful disk, here's what we'd be looking at

United States of Eurasia
Resistance
Guiding Light
Exogenesis Symphony 1,2,3
Uprising
MK Ultra
I Belong to You
Unnatural Selection

but thats just me.... however, after several listens, certain parts of this album are my favorite things Muse has ever done, other tracks could have at least been better placed..
I am pleased with this addition to my Muse collection and will continue to support one of the best bands the world has seen in a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars five for five, October 3, 2009
ds "Lagerd" (West Allis, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resistance (Audio CD)
I'd like to weigh in on this before overexposure utterly ruins this fine CD for me. It should come as no surprise that as muse grows in popularity their music becomes more mainstream. That is a hard and fast truth that has repeatedly been proven correct throughout the history of popular music. The pop radio sheen has been polished brightly for this record. THE RESISTANCE is not like SHOWBIZ or SYMETRY, two earlier recordings that typified their youth and exuberance whereby the song's inherent energy trumped production. But even then they appeared to possess a grander vision of where they're headed. Their penchant for a larger-than-life sound, and anthemic showstopper mentality was apparent as young up-and-comers. Given the breakthrough of ABSOLUTION and the overwhelming success of BLACK HOLES it's only natural that this album would continue in that path toward US stardom. Consequently, it's at this point in the progression that I usually lose interest in a given artist. But I couldn't resist. What works for this band since the beginning is a combination platter of loud, razor-sharp guitars, obtuse lyrics, rich, layered vocal harmonies and classically-infused (nocturne-like) piano passages. The latter are also the components that many detractors obsess upon. Isn't it curious that those who routinely resort to tired old cliches like self-indulgent, bombastic and pretentious when criticizing progressive and art rock are themselves guilty of self-indulgence, pretension and verbosity in their own writing and (more insidiously) in their thought process? They know better than the unwashed, uncultured masses.

This is simply another superbly artful endeavor by muse. Matthew Bellamy's ambiguous writing and showy playing is at the core of this band. He has endured the unjustifiable accustations of being a Thom Yorke ripoff, which have finally been silenced. Now it's Freddie Mercury and Brian May that he's beholden to. Well, he's certainly not the first artist to dare reveal his influences. It's that melting pot of experience, talent and influences that yield the most meaningful, enduring and controversial art.

I fully realize that this is the record that launches muse to new heights but since I don't listen to radio for music purposes I pray that I am at least partially insulated from the unfettered hype that is sure to ensue.

4.0 out of 5 stars A blossoming composition-an homage to Orwell's 1984, January 23, 2010
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
When I first put this album on my wish list, it was something I would have liked to have, but not something that I necessarily needed. When I first listened to it I said, "Oh this is good." I didnt listen to the whole album at once. I heard "Undisclosed Desires" and decided I really liked that song, but nothing else really stood out. Then when I listened further on in the album, I heard "Exogenesis Part I." I felt like I had been knocked to the floor and my soul had been ripped out; a sign of a really good song for me. I don't know how else to describe this piece of music. It's not a song, no not at all, it is a piece of music. The orchestration and the singing are so hauntingly beautiful and full of emotion I just want to put on headphones, crank up the volume and let the music wash over me, painting pictures in my head. This is what I like to do when I hear a great piece of music, song or album.

After hearing that piece, I decided to read the lyrics. When I read the 1984 themed-lyrics and listened to the album once again, I realized that "Resistence" is a Rock Opera. All of the songs align together in a common Totalitarian-Theme: when he meets the woman he is sneaking around with before the thought police can find them, the Exogenesis Cycle wondering how and when will this world end, "the United States of Euroasia" with its a "Queen-like" anthem in it with a Chopin Nocturne with bombs going off in the background. It is incredible, and even more incredible that Matthew Bellamy is playing the classical piano like a maestro, sticks a Saint Saens excerpt in the middle of "I belong to you", and can sing an impressive Falsetto in "Exogenis Part I." If you listen to the album as a whole, it will tell you a story, and you realize that you can't just listen to one song.

This album is not like any Radiohead that i have ever heard, and in fact that is why I didn't like Muse back around 1999-2000 when they were first coming out. I thought that they were trying to mimic Radiohead, and being a Rabbid Radiohead fan that I am, I didn't want to buy any of their albums. That is until I heard the song Supermassive Black Hole. This album doesn't sound like Radiohead, and I think this is Muse's new voice in the music world; it shows they are serious musicians and ready to come into their own. Screw it if it isn't radio-friendly. If that's what you care about then don't buy this cd because it is not just a Fluff listen while you are doing something else.

Listen to this album and read the lyrics. I love 1984, and this is about the best rendition or homage I have heard or seen. Crack open a bottle of wine, take out your headphones, light a candle and lay back and enjoy. I haven't stopped

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to listen to this like it's 1976! ( ( (((LOUD))) ) ), March 18, 2010
ebmAddikt (Portland Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
Best way I can describe.....The Resistance is a squeaky clean Muse ball which rolled down a hill. In it's path it rolled over and picked up some; Queen (heavy Queen influence), Pink Floyd, Chopin (literally), Mozart, Gershwin, David Bowie, Gary Glitter, Philip Glass and coasted on into modern times with a nicely produced, polished, clean sound meant for cranking through your 500w Bang & Olufsen.

The album theme: Rock Opera. Classic "political, media & social brainwash"-bashing rock music. Despite having a "theme", the songs are very diverse, ranging from high energy power rock, to quiet, delicate and precise piano passages. Instrumentation includes obvious band (guitar, bass, drums, vocals), "church" and "rock" organ, diverse synthesis, classic grand piano, and real symphonic arrangements weaved throughout.

My favorite pick for 2009, and 2010 so far.

I wouldn't typically encourage potential Amazon customers this, but I bought mine through iTunes for the extra digipak goodie. There's a nice interactive with photos, videos, lyrics and flashy graphics. I'm glad (in this case) I chose the iTunes version.

However you buy it, turn off all the lights, sit center to speakers, turn the volume knob up on your receiver.....keep turning....a little more....press play, and enjoy! (screw the neighbors!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked on Muse, November 26, 2009
This review is from: The Resistance (MP3 Music)
I love this album. I normally gravitate towards heavier music but this is an amazing album. I can hear so many different bands when listening to The Resistance. I hear Queen, U2, Led Zepplin, and believe it or not System of a Down. The slower Exogenesis tracks are not something I really like but five stars for the rest of the tracks. I also like the meaning behind the lyrics in many of the songs. Almost an intellectual feel to them. Don't hesitate and download now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, July 12, 2011
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
One of the few bands out there that are actually BETTER live than on CD. How refreshing!!!

Although I can definitely tell the influences of Queen and Depeche Mode and U2 in Muse's music, I can appreciate it because those are some of my favorite bands and they are not just reusing their music, they are putting a new spin on it and making it their own. I love the passion that comes out of every song and every chord. It's powerful and thoughtful and meaningful. It's so refreshing to hear this in a world of Katy Perrys and Black Eyed Peas who offer nothing other than generic beats, horrible lyrics, and tone deaf vocals.

I saw Muse live last year and they were AWESOME. They opened for U2 which was a perfect fit. The crowd went crazy and they really did sound better live than on CD. Love the passion and the intelligence behind the music. It's rare these days!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars From Pop to Opera, January 22, 2010
Z. Fu (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
Serious musicians often face with the dilemma of creating either the music that they truly want or marketable products. The opposing forces are at war on Muse's latest. The Resistance is, I think, an inspiring and genre bending piece of work that both preserves the band's daring artistic integrity and appeals to old and new fans.

The Resistance opens with 3 catchiest pop anthems. They are meant to be played on radio and TV. It then takes an abrupt turn at track 4 "United States of Eurasia." A sublime Chopin nocturne in the middle of it showcases band's Romantic classical music influence in full glory. Three more "straight" rock numbers later, a Samson and Delilah aria works itself in "I belong to you." To hear a rocker attempting tenor voice is worth the cost of the CD alone. The album concludes with a song cycle that is structurally similar to a mini-symphony or German lieder. The songs themselves are operatic in nature with rich orchestration and ethereal falsetto.

The fusion of classical music and rock is as old as the advent of progressive rock in 1970s. Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is a prime example of it. Yet, Muse does it so well. They comfortably switch from hard rocking sound to dreamy nocturne with me hardly noticing it. The result is their most mature, heartfelt and epic album to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ethos Reviews on MUSE - THE RESISTANCE, January 21, 2010
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
Muse is rapidly becoming one of the more popular bands in America today, and with good reason. The Resistance is a rock album like no other made in today's modern age. What the band does so wonderfully is that it transcends rock n roll more so than its contemporaries. It has the ability to fuse together the orchestral sounds of classical music with the aggressiveness of modern rock. Muse is also very keen on creating some truly beautiful melodic moments as well. It's this versatility that makes Muse a unique musical act, and a rather complete one as well. Matthew Bellamy, the bands lead singer, songwriter and pianist, is the heart of the group, and his talents, along with the rest of the band, really make their new effort, The Resistance, one of 2009's best overall records.

The group of songs on The Resistance seem like they have all been carefully assembled and arranged with great care. Each song, in its own respect, has something to offer in one way or another. The opening three tracks ("Uprising", "Resistance", and "Undisclosed Desires") are indeed the best in my opinion, and really showcase Muse's diverse talents. The rest of the album has many high points as well. "United States of Eurasia (+Collateral Damage)" is a decent song, but ends on a interesting note with Matthew Bellamy playing his own arrangement of a Chopin classical piano piece. And while there are many other strong songs here on the album, attention must be paid to the epic finale - "Exogenesis." It is a three part song, encompassing the final quarter of the album, and is a modern masterpiece. It is essentially a classical-rock piece, that blends both genres together, creating a euphoric sound unlike anything I've heard in quite some time. All three parts of "Exogenesis" are beautiful, but perhaps the best is the middle section entitled "Exogenesis: Symphony Pt. 2, Cross-Pollination."...

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful rock opera, September 21, 2012
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
After I listened to the whole disc I had the idea to print the lyrics for all the songs. Then I read them in the order they appear on the disc. It's amazing how the story line comes alive. That's how operas are written. And this one would qualify to be labeled ART because it has a powerful message for our society and for our times and because it takes the musical shape, form and contrasting techniques of Queen and Scorpions to the next level, while incorporating elements of classical music, like an auditory collage. Wonderful work of art in my opinion!

The Resistance
The Resistance by Muse (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies