Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on July 7, 2008
Let me start by sayin most of the reviews on this album have some truth to it:

The Respect Issue doesn't offer anything new or original. In fact, most of the songs sound somewhat similar to The Acacia Strain. However, this is not just another rip off.

Gone is most of the singing and the flow. I will admit that their last disc told a story, and had a unique flow to i, but this one doesn't flow as well as the previous. However, that is not to say that is a bad thing..

Where The Respect Issue lacks in cohesive flows and creating a story, they make up for in brutality!! The cover should give you an idea of what to expect from Emmure's latest efforts.. The reason for Kurt Angle on the front is because he is a punisher himself (or at least in his story lines and his character). When you look at the cover what do you see? You see this guy who is muscular with boxing gloves and looks like he's ready for a fight. A guy that size will PUNISH you...and that's exactly what this cd does from start to finish. The band punishes the listener into a submission with neck breaking 808 bass drop's which leads into a slow but punishing breakdowns. Other times the album goes into faster breakdown's and even a few 2 step parts.

This album is a grower and a little hard to digest at one time. In order to truely appreciate what Emmure has done and appreciate the hatrid that fuels this album, one must listen to it more than one time. If you like heavy and brutal music, try listening to this while lifting some weights at the gym or at home.

To wrap everything up, this album often times sounds the same, which can be both good and bad. There is no new ideas, and quite frankly, if you listen to Acacia Strain, you've heard these riffs before. BUT, in no way does that make this cd a flop. If you want an album that punishes and taps right into repressed anger, look no futher, because that's all this album is about! If you aren't into breakdowns and pure anger, save your money. It make take some time to grow on you, but if you give it a chance, you will find yourself listening to it more and more.
on October 22, 2008
Even girls like music like this sometimes. Its too good not to turn up to 40 as I'm driving past some ghetto kids and laugh as they mean mug me or go to fetch their daddys (sorry, brothers), pistol.
on June 1, 2008
Goodbye to the Gallows is a great album. It really is. Don't let the haters tell you otherwise. When I got this album, I expected it to be even better. But I was wrong.

It's completely rehashed from their first album. There is nothing on here that wasn't done on GttG. All of the songs sound the same, and the lyrics have gone from heartbroken to just hateful.
I loved the emotion that was packed into Gallows. The lines like "Leave me alone...my broken soul can't take another day" along with the entire overall theme of the album really is heartwrenching.
This album is quite different.

It's hateful and spiteful. Lines like "I hope her cancer comes back" are just totally out-of-place and left me astonished at the viciousness of the lyrics. And there is hardly any clean-speaking, like in GttG. "I swear it's all your fault," singer Frankie shouts agonizingly. "At least that's what I remember..."
There is next to none of that on TRI.

Overall the lyrics on this CD are simply full of hate and vengefulness. There is no story told over the songs, a love story gone wrong like in the last. I know you really aren't supposed to base your opinion on an album based on the album preceding it, but I just can't help comparing the two.

These guys ARE a good band. This album was just rushed and not worked on hard enough. And why the wrestling theme? For that, I have no idea. None of the songs really have anything to do with wrestling, or anything besides wishing ill on the girl who broke Frank's heart.

I expect better from their next release.

-HarukaHavok.
on November 20, 2012
Okay so, by now, we all know what deathcore is. And you do, too, right? It is hardcore-inflected death metal with tinges of grindcore and metalcore. And in a scene completely glutted with deathcore impersonators, Connecticut's Emmure do preciously little to distinguish themselves. Decent drumming only gets them so far; and the occasional use of kind of iffy clean vocals does even less. And plus, the music is centered around only one emotion: Anger. As a result of such heavy-handed one-dimensionality, several of the songs blend-together.

"The Respect Issue" isn't a complete throw-away, however, as it certainly rocks pretty darn hard. Blending The Acacia Strain's downtuned guitars with The Black Dahlia Murder's rapid-fire precision drumming, and Fear Factory's melodic choruses, Emmure come up with several very tolerable and above-average tracks, here, even if none of them are classics that stick with the listener for very long after hearing them. Take track two, "Sound Wave Superior," for example. It features a catchy, staccato beat, pounding, punching breakdowns, and heavy, hardcore-derived chugga-chugga riffs. A potent shout-along refrain is also included, here, as are some wicked, near black metal-esque backing vocal rasps. And the tune's also features a bass-driven outro. And later on, "False Love In Real Life" features a really deft and fast drum fill, a fleeting bit of clean backing vocals, some steady, grumbling bass lines, and an atmospheric, electronic-tinged fade-out outro. And another standout, "Tales From The Burg," almost plays like a piece of full-on thrash, with its blistering tempo, fist-pumping choruses, and exceptional drumming (including plenty of swift thrash beats and grinding blast beats). The nice and peaceful interlude track ("Dry Ice," which is comprised of some totally unexpectedly melodic guitar and bass lines), and the near-noisecore-esque punishment of the album closer, "You're More Like Friend Without The `R'," are two other big standouts and possible highpoints.

Unfortunately, the whole album cannot stack-up as well as these tracks. The above-described "Sound Wave Superior" is, regretfully, surrounded by such generic fair as "Young, Rich, And Out Of Control" and "I Only Mean Half Of What I Don't Say." And if it weren't for the booming power chords and punishing double bass work in the former, and some rap/nu-metal-flavored DJ scratches towards the end of the latter, these two tracks would be otherwise rendered as completely unremarkable. And other tracks, like "Chicago's Finest" and "Rough Justice" are also almost completely and totally forgettable. And so is "Snuff 2: The Resurrection," as it simply piles one huge, thunderous breakdown on top of another for the duration of its overlong three-plus-minute playing time.

At its best, "The Respect Issue" is a fairly slammin' and anthemic piece of death metal-inflected hard/metal/moshcore. But at its weakest, it sounds so generic that it would make even a Johnny-come-lately like First Blood think twice. There are several moments with potential to be had, here, but none of them are good enough to really floor the listener and/or leave a lasting effect. So, there is better deathcore out there (see Suicide Silence, Despised Icon, et al), and any metalhead worth his or her salt probably has bigger fish to fry than this very decent, if ultimately mediocre and sometimes forgettable affair.
on June 13, 2008
My title says it all. This album has absolutely nothing new to offer the music scene. It has all been done before by other bands. With that being said, it is important to also realize that not every band has to offer something new and exciting to be considered valid. These guys have chosen a style (typical two-step/breakdown) and it works extremely well for them. The production quality is also miles above half of the other garbage that is circulating around these days. That is why I give this cd five stars.
on June 3, 2008
dude this album is sick also don't listen to what that dude said it sounds like job for a cowboy. the lyrics are harsh and in your face as ever and the breack down are sick. if u like ur "core" music diffrent than ur devil wares prada or bring me the horizon look into this cd.
on May 28, 2008
Ok I see all these reviews about how terrible it is.. I've been a fan of Emmure's for quite some time now, them being in my home state Connecticut I give them all the support I can. I read the reviews on the album as I usually do before I went to head out and buy it.. and saw that they rated it lousy.. me having 10$ lying around I went to best buy and picked it up. I popped it in my CD player and was amazed... this CD is straight up brutal, I love the throat wrenching vocals, the long breakdown riffs, the little bass line they got going in there and all that other jazz. This CD is awesome.. I've listened to it at least 50 times already, it doesn't leave my car stereo. If you are looking for a good metal cd, this is it.. All the songs are catchy, there isnt 1 song on the entire CD that I can say that I dislike.

Great buy, I actually like it better than the older Emmure CD I think..
on April 13, 2014
Emmure is great never get tired of listening to literally any song they have out put out if you dont listen to emmure you must be lost.
on May 19, 2008
The first 2 reviews are terrible. We have one d-bag that is judging based on what Pro wrestler is on the cover and then we have a guy who is obviously some prick elitist who thinks he knows what he's talking about.

This album is way less melodic than their previous release but definitely is an enjoyable listen. Highly recommended if you enjoy The Chariot, any Norma Jean, After the Burial or any other straight up hardcore with a lot of breakdowns.

4 out of 5, a wonderful progression for Emmure.

Don't listen to reviews by these other clowns.
on October 27, 2008
Alright...
That's pretty much my whole reaction to this whole CD. Don't get me wrong, there are some shining moments on this CD. Well, one in particular: "False Love in Real Life."
Other than that, and I absolutely HATE to say the same thing other people have already said, but this CD is boring as crap. Intro (with a scream), verse, breakdown, breakdown, breakdown. Now, I love me a good breakdown, and had there been a bit more diversity on this album, the ones on it would seem so much better. Unfortunately, how many songs, really, do you need to have on one disc with the whole start-stop choppy breakdown? I don't believe they should be used on EVERY song. Which they are.
A Complete Guide to Needlework was not a good CD. Goodbye to the Gallows is probably the best deathcore CD in existence. The Respect Issue blows. I understand that the vast majority of music haters will call Emmure on their "woe is me, I'm so sad that I want to kill you"-vibe, but this CD, lyrically, is a HUGE step beckward as far as lyrical content goes. They've actually immatured, it seems. This whole CD is like a temper tantrum.
Don't waste your money on this disk. If you have Goodbye to the Gallows, really, that's the only CD by Emmure that you need. And it's amazing.
I can see why Emmure are having respect issues.