Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Restorer's Son (The Sword of Lyric Series #2)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on April 16, 2016
This second installment of Sharon Hinck's Restorer series has been my favorite for a long while. I find Kieran's journey in this book to be so inspiring, moving, and challenging. I identify strongly with his armor of cynicism as well as with some of his wrestling with God. I long to be as fully transformed as he is in the course of this story. I love the way Hinck describes the way following God gives us a love for people we would never have imagined loving before.

I think I'm doing a terrible job of reviewing this book. Sometimes it's hard for me when I'm so close to the book, when I love it so much, to communicate that well. Anyway, I highly recommend you read this series, but please, start with book 1, not this one! :)
on November 8, 2007
The Restorer's Son continues the story of unlikely heroes raised up to defend the People of the Verses. In the previous book, The Restorer (The Sword of Lyric), a suburban mom named Susan Mitchell gets pulled into the gray world of the People of the Verses and must choose whether to accept the prophesied role of Restorer and lead an army into battle. In The Restorer's Son, we have another unlikely hero in Kieran, the worldly-wise, self-sufficient, smart-alecky outcast who would prefer not to have anything to do with the One who has called him into service for his people.

Kieran's attempts to avoid the One only embroil him further in the growing conflicts with the hostile nations that surround the People of the Verses. He can handle Kahlarean assassins, but when a confused teenager wanders into Kieran's path, the task of shepherding the boy to safety almost sends Kieran over the edge. A friend's betrayal pushes Kieran even further, and he flees the country as an outcast, cut off from the only family he ever cared about. And on that journey in an unforgettable scene, Kieran must contend with the One who brought him to this point.

Kieran's status as an outcast proves to be an asset in the unlikely task that the One has given him. He wins some unusual allies in the land of Hazor, but war is coming. In the amazing final battle scene, Kieran must rely on the most unlikely weapon of all: love.

Strong characterizations and surprise plot twists mark this epic tale, laced with the light humor that is a hallmark of Sharon Hinck's novels. A surprise at the end reveals that the Mitchell family's role in the world of the People of the Verses is not over - the adventure continues in a third installment titled The Restorers Journey.

The Restorer's Son is an outstanding fantasy adventure novel informed by faith. Highly recommended.
on January 21, 2008
When we last left Mark and Susan Mitchell they had just left the world of the People of the Verses to return home via the portal in their attic. They are shocked when they discover that their son, Jake, has found the portal and journeyed back to the world they have left behind. Now they are forced to return to try and find Jake before their enemies discover him.

Meanwhile, the new restorer, Kieran, struggles with the new role that has been thrust upon him. He knows that the One always sends a Restorer for His people during times of great need, but never did he think it would be him. Reluctantly embracing his new calling, Kieran sets out on his own journey and soon crosses paths with Jake and vows to safely return him to his parents. Along the way the One leads Kieran on a different path; one that will challenge his faith and bring him face to face with his deepest struggles.

Sharon Hinck continues to surprise me with this delightful series. Just when I think I have it all figured out, the story moves in a whole new direction that is much more enjoyable than anything I have anticipated. When I first heard about this series I have to admit that I mistakenly wrote it off as re-packaged Christian chick lit. Nothing wrong with chick lit...just not my thing. Boy was I wrong! So far both volumes have been action-packed and full of intrigue and suspense. The spiritual themes are strong throughout and are never presented in a forceful or preachy manner. Never fear...there is also just the right amount of romance that actually adds to the richness of the plot.

This story actually outshines the first and is incredibly addictive. This time around we get the story from the alternating first person perspectives of Kieran and Susan. This makes the story that much more fun and really shows off what a talented writer Hinck is. Kieran's struggle in particular is fascinating and relevant and it will resonate with anyone that has ever gone through a faith crisis. In the end we are satisfactorily left with some sense of closure plus a perfect little cliffhanger to set up the next installment.

If you are looking for some great speculative fiction with Christian themes then look no further. My only hope is that Sharon Hinck will continue to write more fantasy. I can't wait for number three!
on August 24, 2015
This is my favorite of all Sharon Hinck's novels! I love the whole series, but don't judge whether the series is fun or not until you read this book. She ties together things from the first book seamlessly, but you will be surprised at how she does so. I thoroughly enjoy this series and rank it as one of my all-time favorites!
on August 15, 2012
Sharon Hinck has created one of the most vivid and enchanting worlds in all of Christian fantasy with her Restorer series. If I were able to visit a fiction fantasy world, it would by Lyric. (Though I would struggle between that and Narnia!) I *love* Lyric - the people, the culture, their dedication to the One. But Lyric isn't all music and praise. There's a very real evil at work in the land, and the battles are fought with real weapons, both physical and spiritual.

When the first edition of The Restorer's Son came out, it was my first introduction to the Sword of Lyric series. I read the book in one sitting, absolutely captivated by the story of Susan and Mark entering a portal to another world in search of their son, Jake. I was drawn to Kieran's struggle against the One's call on his life. The mark of a great writer is the ability for a reader to place herself into the story, and I was right there with Kieran as he ran past the borders of Lyric, and straight into an evil that chilled me to the bone.

Now the extended edition is available, and I'm once again swept away to the world of Lyric. There's so much new, fascinating, thought-provoking, entertaining levels to the story! If you didn't read the first version, you MUST read this one. And if you did read the first story, you already know you MUST read this one!
on September 15, 2015
This second book in the series returns to the alternate world that Susan visited in the first book. In this one, we follow the new Restorer - the unlikely hero, Kieran - as he struggles to come to terms with the One's call on his life. We also watch Susan's teenage son grow and mature in the strange new world.

Again, this story is told beautifully, and the characters are easy to relate to. Another really great read!
on November 16, 2007
The Restorer's Son is Book Two of The Sword of Lyric series by author Sharon Hinck. With the background set in the first novel (The Restorer) and the names and culture familiar to the reader, Hinck shifts the narration between Susan, Housewife Ordinaire turned Restorer Extraordinaire - and Kieran, native of Lyric and newly chosen Restorer at the close of Book One.

Susan's purpose is different this time around; no longer the Restorer, Susan and her husband Mark are forced into a search and rescue mission - for their son, Jake, who has slipped through the portal and is missing.

As for Kieran, though he is personally chosen by the One to help guide and protect His people, Kieran is unwilling to accept it, and chooses to opt out of his new title. He pulls a Jonah and hightails it out of Lyric to avoid dealing with the One, whom he thinks does not exist beyond the borders of his own land. Newsflash: God is everywhere, and regardless of how far Kieran runs, he cannot outrun the One. Kieran finds himself on the outskirts of Lyric in flight mode, when he stops and decides to literally pick a fight with God. Who generously obliges him... until Kieran learns that the One is real, and powerful, but above all, merciful. Jonah syncs into Jacob, wrestling with the angel, then back again as the One directs Kieran to go spread the word to the nation of enemy Hazor.

Both narrators struggle with their identity and sense of purpose through a series of events that eventually bring their paths together. But as they unite they discover that the One does indeed have a purpose for each of them, even through the darkest of situations. This story is Everyman (and Everywoman's) everyday life search to find meaning in a mixed-up and often (seemingly) meaningless world. Another solid and satisfying novel by Sharon Hinck. The Restorer's Son is a must-read novel, and firmly establishes this series in the sci-fi and fantasy genres.
on July 6, 2011
This is a very good fantasy book, albeit a little strange and unique. I enjoyed the ease in which Mrs. Hinck moves real-life characters from one dangerous situation to another tender and heart-warming one within a few pages. The balance of characters was okay, though there were quite a few. There were two points of view in the book: Susan's and Kieran's. Each had lengthy sections at a time, and the transitions were slightly abrupt. Although, on a different note, the message of the Gospel to any non-believer was unmistakable.

What this book means to a Christian: God is everywhere, and he has a plan for everything and everyone. Sometimes there are things we think HAVE to happen, but he says "Yield," and we don't want to, and maybe it takes multiple times to submit, or maybe we abandon His reasoning altogether, but the point is that He has a purpose for everything we and others go through. As Steven Curtis Chapman said in his song "See," "But right now, all I can say is `Lord, how long before you come and take away this aching?' This night of weeping seems to have no end. But when the morning light breaks through, we'll open up our eyes and we will see it's everything that He said that it would be and even better than we would believe"
on December 22, 2007
Last summer I was asked to consider writing an endorsement for this book. That meant the publisher sent me a preview copy months before the October release date, along with a copy of book one, THE RESTORER. I started with the second book because I had a deadline for deciding whether or not to write an endorsement. I devoured this book in a single day. I got nothing else done all day, because I could not tear myself away from the incredible world Sharon created. The next day I read the first book and loved it, too! I can't say enough about these books. If you like fantasy adventure stories with spiritual truth seamlessly woven throughout, I highly recommend The Sword of Lyric Series.

If you want to read the endorsement I wrote for THE RESTORER'S SON, buy the book and check out the Endorsement page!
on April 19, 2012
In her Sword of Lyric series, Sharon Hinck created an amazing world to be found through the portal - Lyric, Braide Wood and Hazor, and wonderful characters like Susan, Tristan, Kieran and Linette. While the original edition of The Restorer's Son was a can't-put-down experience, Hinck's expanded version takes us deeper into this world, into battles between good and evil, between hardened hearts and the One who sees all, knows all - loves all. Not even the tough and hardened, reluctant hero Kieran can stand against the persistence, and love, of the One.

Following Kieran into battle, watching his struggle to accept his call and lay down his will before the One, makes us consider our own daily struggles to be more than we are. The additional discussion guide, the added surprises that Hinck has included, make The Restorer's Son Expanded Edition even more impactful.

This is not a book to be taken lightly - it is to be experienced. Journey with the characters, sing their songs, even eat their food. You'll be left wanting more! And you will be changed by your experience with the One.