5.0 out of 5 stars Chopra transcends the legend!
When Deepak Chopra publishes, readers take note. And when he writes about the
Arthurian Tales, what can one say? Intertwining his sense of mysticism, his intellectual scope, and a
fast-paced, very moving, novel in one is a bit much to hope for! But in “The Return of Merlin,”
Chopra has accomplished this feat. Not an “easy read”...
Published on December 21, 2001 by Billy J. Hobbs

1.0 out of 5 stars Short Story drawn out and out
Published 20 months ago by Audrey Anderson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Chopra transcends the legend!, December 21, 2001
When Deepak Chopra publishes, readers take note. And when he writes about the
Chopra has accomplished this feat. Not an “easy read” generally, Chopra’s magical touch with the
printed word maintains his reputation in this tale from Arthur.
In his introduction, Chopra writes that “The Return of Merlin” is about waking up the
wizard that sleeps within all of us, so that we can reclaim the field of pure knowledge and dream
anew world into reality, from the purity of our hearts.”
“Merlin” is another odyssey of life, a story of the traditional good vs. evil and the struggles
therein. It is a story that erases the confines of time. “To be alive now,” he writes, “is to be dead to
the past. To be alive now is to have life-centered, present-moment awareness...(and) you will discover the dance of the divine in every leaf, in every petal...in every rainbow...in every breath of every living being.” A momumental undertaking, to be sure.
Taking the Arthurian characters, from Merlin to Arthur to Mordred with a cast of many
others, and mixing in a complete disregard for any logical historical time frame, Chopra explores
this struggle, this “to be or not to be” of Camelot. Despite its frenzy, its whirlwind of action and
activity, “The Return of Merlin” is at once captivating, suspenseful, mesmerizing, combining
elements of spectacular hope and goodness and the depravitiy--nay, the power-- of penultimate
evil, Chopra shatters the pastoral hillsides of our psyche with this very-readable narrative.
Scholarly--yet quite readable!, the book is a page-turner. Chopra’s magic comes alive in a work
that is satisfactory and fulfilling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Reading for Adults, February 5, 2005
This review is from: The Return of Merlin (Paperback)
I've read this book every year since its debut ten years ago. I've just read it again and I still believe it's one of the must-reads for anyone on a spiritual/mystical path. And aren't we all? Dr. Chopra continues to teach me to find my magical self, to walk backward in time and call my ageless, timeless soul forward. I'm a big fan of all his books but this one, and the Way of the Wizard inspire me to really think beyond my normal boundaries. I've always dreamed that Merlin was my mentor. I certainly think Deepak Chopra is. Return of Merlin encourages my magical thinking and that's the best evolutationary step for me. Maybe it is for you too.

Elaine Maginn Sonne, PhD, author of Legends of the Stones

5.0 out of 5 stars One for Fantasy Lovers and Spiritual seekers alike!, October 16, 2001
This review is from: The Return of Merlin (Paperback)
This is an incredible book. I haven't been much into reading fantasy in years, although I have always been a fan of Merlin, King Arthur, and Camelot, Fantasy books failed to hold my attention for every story has been told and retold in one way or another. I have to be honest, it was Deepak Chopra's name that drew me to this book, and then seeing Merlins name on the same cover, I had to check it out. And I am so glad I did. What a truly wonderful book for fantasy lovers, and spiritual seekers alike. Don't miss out on this great read, books like this come far and few between!! This book and the characters in it will stay with you for a long, long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something New with every Read, December 2, 2000
Tom Jackson (that's what I would like to know?) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Return of Merlin (Hardcover)
I have only shared this information with other people who I know, Love to read so I guess you qualify?This is Chopra's best book as far as I'm concerned it is his only book.I have lost count on the number of times I have read it but each time is like the first.The way he treats time,you almost believe that he has a handle on the fabric of time.The new twist, in the way he looks at the Arthurian legend is a joy.The last thing I can say is that I will read it again,again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perceptive Perception, February 3, 2006
This review is from: The Return of Merlin (Paperback)
If you want to be Merlin, and you want Camelot to live again, read this book. If you are intrigued by quantum reality, read this book. If you are trying to deal with the truth about the dark side of yourself, read this book. Perception is everything. I give this book four Stars because I reserve five stars for the video "What the Bleep Do We Know?"

5.0 out of 5 stars MERLIN RETURNS!!!!!, March 2, 1997
This review is from: The Return of Merlin (Paperback)
Actually, strictly he doesn't, but let's not ruin the story!!! This is a seriously intertwined book, about the return of many of the characters of the Arthurian Legends. Arthur is a present day policeman who finds an old man dead on the side of the road. He is nicknamed Merlin, for his long flowing beard, but things get interesting when Merlin does a disappearing act on the police force. It emerges that Melchior, his understudy, has also appeared in this time, and he befriends an aptly named Pen (Arthur's full name was Pendragon). Other "coincidental" characters begin to show their faces, including the reincarnation of Mordred, who originally defeated Arthur. It takes some concentration to understand the events occurring, and some knowledge of the Arthurian story helps no end!!!! The finale is so fantastic that any effort on the part of the reader is well worth it!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Short Story drawn out and out, July 2, 2013
This review is from: The Return of Merlin (Paperback)
This was my book clubs pick. I expected to like it as it's a fantasy and I like that genre. I found it to be drudge reading. I plodded along out of duty until about half way, then jumped about a hundred pages and you would never know I'd missed a thing. It seemed to take up right after I'd left off. The only good thing I can say about it is the behavior of Tommy at the end. The rest could have been done as a short story. I am so glad to be done with it. There are so many good fantasy stories out there this one should be a pass. As it turned out, only one other person in my book club completed the book and she didn't like it much more than I did. Everyone else abandoned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great continuation, July 23, 2000
This review is from: The Return of Merlin (Paperback)
I found myself truly enjoying and wrapped up in this continuation and interpretation of the Arthurian legend in modern time--I found myself reading at every available minute of my day. I also enjoyed the subtle lessons hidden in the story and the characters, although I found myself forgetting to look for the lessons many times as I became involved in the story. The characters are intriguing and quite worthy of following on their journeys--particularily Sis and Tommy. I was a little sad it ended--although Deepak has left it open to another story(?). I liked every word of it, the words themselves were well chosen and painted an amazing picture.
All in all a very fun read--try it on for size yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Artur and Merlin live again in Somerset, July 22, 1999
By A Customer
As someone who lives in the English county of Somerset just outside Glastonbury I was enchanted with this story. As I am also familiar with the Arthurian legend I enjoyed enormously this well written and thought provoking novel. As the characters appear in different times and different places Chopra has captured the setting of England and Wales as it is today and as it probably was centuries ago. A book that keeps you turning the pages with fascination and interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent return !, June 26, 2000
This review is from: The Return of Merlin (Paperback)
Deepak Chopra is a Pandora's box! You'll never guess how good a storyteller he is. He tells us a wonderful story full of magic and enchantment without forgeting to teach us the deep spiritual lessons he's taught us in his other books. Being faithfull to Merlin's character and lore, he's able to transform him into a master not only of magic but of deep spiritual wisdom as well. Couldn't put it down !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Return of Merlin
The Return of Merlin by Deepak Chopra (Paperback - March 5, 1996)
$17.00 $14.32