Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

Format: Library Binding|Change

on May 29, 2005
I was browsing the book store when I came upon this book,after reading through a few pages and looking at the description on the back it seemed like a fairly predictable, boring, book that I would read the first few pages uninterested and move on to something else. Because, I must admit, I thought that it would be another cheesy story with dull,flat characters written by a adult who had no real idea of what kids were like.Although skeptical, I decided to buy it because the other book I was consindering was too expensive and I figured if I didn't like it, I didn't spend alot of money on it.After reading farther into the book I knew I had definetly understimated it.This book kept me reading from begining to end and just when I thought I knew what was going to happen next,it suprised me!

The story begins with the main character,telling his experience with another classmate who is constantly bothering him and giving him trouble.One day he tries to figure out how he can stop him and meets two kids,who are middle schoolers,and who are being teased, harassed, and overall humiliated by these bullies. Each of these kids are different but they all have one thing in common; they don't want to tolerate it any longer.Determined and united they try to stop them from taking over the school! Since they later find out,that other kids are dealing with this problem too.One of the main reasons I liked this book was because of the lessons it taught.

This story really showed that kids have the power to stand up to their peers.It also showed that kids don't have to let anyone treat them badly because they have a choice and they have the power to speak up.Not to mention that although some kids think they're better than you for some rason,they're not because in the end we're just people and no one deserves to be treated that way.One thing I liked about this was the characters as I said earlier they were all different but I felt I could relate to each one in some way or another.I think despite the qualities that made then individuals they all felt trapped in some way as does every person some time in their life.Another thing I liked, (which I also mentioned earlier) was how the plot was constantly changing.It was enough to keep the reader in suspense from cover to cover.This book had alot of elements combined to make it a good story,but I think this review is long enough as it is.

To sum up this review, really I think that despite the fact that this may seem like something worth passing by on the shelf,you should give it a chance.I won't say it's a classic,it's not perfect,but it's good book and definetly worth reading.

Before I end I was suprised to see only five reviews when I looked up the titled of the book. I thought more people would of been able to see parts of themselves in the character,or at least found the plot enjoyable.Whether it's one people look past as I did,not what most kids are interested in,or simply hasn't been discovered yet I thought it was certainly worthy of praise.Please,it's no Harry Potter or Artemis Fowl,but you should at least give it a try.
on March 9, 2004
As a high school teacher with twenty-eight years of experience, I have found myself drawn to young adult fiction as a way to engage reluctant readers. The most successful books I have found are those that deal with social issues directly affecting student lives: prejudice, racism, substance abuse, or domestic/ sexual abuse. I just finished teaching Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak to my seniors and every single student was successful because they all identified with at least one of the characters Ms. Anderson created--she was inside their world and they can spot a fraud in a minute.
The Revealers is just such a book. Every page and chapter rings true with the angst, isolation, drama, confusion, and humor of middle school kids trying to find their way through the cruel and complex social order of early puberty. Some bewildered kids are clueless as to how they fell out of favor; some "nerds" have simply accepted their fate and learned how to stay out of the crossfire; and the few and powerful "alpha males" and "queen bees" are already wielding their social power with diabolical and menacing accuracy.
Doug Wilhelm's extensive research and work with middle-schoolers has paid off in the authentic voice of this short and powerful work. Not only are the scenarios recognizable to anyone who has suffered through middle school (or suffered through raising middle-schoolers), but the technology that permeates the novel is realistic as kids post messages, use Kidnet (the school's local area network), and "instant message" each other in ways my generation still can't quite grasp. We watch in awe as three kids, empowered by their intelligence, use technology to "out" the bullies in their own backyard: Darkland (a.k.a. Parkland) Middle School. Some of the sequences are horrifying--yet kids will tell you they are not exaggerated.
Wilhelm artfully weaves lessons of history through his tale as students explore the story of Anne Frank in social studies class and realize that silence--even in the face of a formidable enemy--is wrong and can turn deadly. Like much of Walter Dean Myers's work, this book has a winning combination of realistic problems, ordinary kids, good values (without giving easy answers), and just enough grit to keep kids on the edge of their seats. Middle-schoolers have their own little world, their own rules, and their own ways of communicating. Although there are some well-meaning adults in the book, most of the time they orbit the perimeter of this strange world rather than engage in it--just like real life.
I'm so impressed with this book! As a school counselor of 30 years, I'm amazed at the sensitivity and accuracy of Wilhelm's portrayal of the pain of bullying! The story line is realistic and curiously suspensful as it portrays the childrens' struggle to extricate themselves from the victimization of the bully. There's no quick fix in this story; instead Wilhelm incorporates his hours of interviews with actual students to weave a theme of self-awareness from the vantage point of both bully and victim.
Excellent reading for students, teachers and parents!
on February 26, 2007
To Doug Wilhelm:

Today I checked The Revealers out from our school library. I thought it was going to be just another novel about the lives and troubles of kids. But it wasn't. I discovered a message. The book you wrote is powerful, and it made me think. About how better our world could be if we just said the truth. About how bullying is not just one kid picking on another.

Because bullying leaves scars. On your heart, and in your head. You begin to believe that just because this one person harasses you, your life will be miserable. And then you stop trying to stand up for yourself, to fight back.

I completely agree with what Turner said about isolation. Isolation started it all. Except that I understood it in a different sense. I believe that one of the most important keys to bullying is isolation. You keep them away from their friends, just for a few minutes and they're helpless. That's the way it is in modern society. I also agree with what Elliot said about traveling in a pack and how it's safer. You straggle away from your herd of pals, and *CHOMP* the bullies isolate and destroy you, just like what you would see in a video game.

Your book inspired me to try out the same project in my school. I wondered, will the results be higher or lower because it's an elementary school? Will the stories be different?

I think everyone should read your book. Because they will understand it, no matter what. Your book is so inspirational, so deep that I could cry. Thank you, for writing such a good book.

Doha, Qatar
The Coalition I am the coordinator of, does prevention work for youth to addressing substance abuse and violence. As I was preparing for a summit addressing bullying amongst middle school students, a friend gave me Doug Wilhelm's new book to read.
I sat down one weekend and finished The Revealers in four hours, I couldn't (and wouldn't) put it down. It is so real as it shows the bullying kids do to each other, that it made me feel like I was back in school, which was over 25 years ago, and I could feel the pain the the victims in the book were feeling.
But the way the characters react to the bullying and make a difference was inspiring. They didn't do anything extradinary, they just worked together, reluctantly at first, to help each other out.
My teenage daughter and I highly recommend this book not only for middle school students, but for parents and teachers. A true "must read" book and one on my top 10 list.
My advice, after you read it, pass it on and share your feelings and thoughts with others!
on August 6, 2013
I read this along with my son and found for the most part it kept me interested in finding out what was going to happen next.
I think some of it is to far fetched and a little bit off of what is really happening in school these days. Kids may still deal with bullying but I think there is MORE of an ISSUE with drugs and anger management which should be a high priority in High School nowadays.
on July 27, 2004
The characterization wasn't entirely convincing. I'm around kids that age a lot and sometimes, characters didn't sound or act like any 13 year olds I know. A few of the leaps of faith seemed sudden and without explanation.

That said, the plot was thoroughly compelling. It was a new twist on a common theme, but with a fairly unexpected ending. Definitely worth a read.
on October 19, 2006
Russell Trainor, Elliot Gekowitz and Catalina Aarons all go to the same school and they all get bullied. Russell gets bullied by Richie Tucker and he is one of the meanest kids in the school. Elliot gets bullied by the jockrots and their names are Big Chris, Jon Blanchette and Burke Brown. Also Catalina got bullied by Bethany DeMere.

Russell got bullied by Richie for quite awhile. One time Russell bought a rootbeer, Richie took it opened it and poured it on Russell's head. So one day he stood up to Richie and asked him why he bullies him, but Richie didn't like him asking questions so he punched him in the face. Catalina was a new girl and Bethany wrote and said mean things about Catalina. So Catalina interviewed her and they had her on camera, so Catalina showed Mrs. Capelli that Bethany did bully her. Elliot was bullied for a long time from these people and he got tired of it. So one day he wrote a story on Kidnet and posted it on The Revealer. So he got back at Burke by that.

In the end it was courageous for them to put out all of the things they found out about their bully in the science fair. For Catalina to interview Bethany that had to take a lot of courage because the first time she went and told her dad they wrote something about her, he came in and made them have two weeks detention. Also for Elliot to put that story about Burke on Kidnet, that took a lot of courage because they might of came and punched him or did something worse than dropping him off a bridge. It took a lot of courage for Russell to talk to Richie because he was afraid that he might get punched in the face again.
on January 9, 2013
My students loved the book and find a great deal of relevance in it. The author has important insights to share that help bring out a discussion with students that shows just how much they can be hurt, but it also provides some interesting ideas for combatting bullying.
on December 20, 2012
This was summer reading for a grandchild. We read them together and discuss them. I do not know why this would have been chosen for summer reading. Can't see much redeeming value in it. Needs teacher-directed discussion in class.