5.0 out of 5 stars Killer Fiction
THE REVENANT ROAD is a powerful debut novel. Actor Michael Boatman does a terrific job of bringing the chills, crafting a compelling story, and guiding readers through devious twists and turns. It's a very satisfying read. And, the novel includes a bonus story, Neville and the Midnight Miracle Massacre, which spins off one of the supporting characters into his own tale.
Published on November 10, 2011 by Jonathan Maberry -NY Times Bes...

3.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding start, but first person narrator was unlikable too long in the story and wears on the reader
Revenant Road has one of the best opening chapters of any DarkFuse novel I've read to date, an outstanding character name, Obidiah Grudge, and monsters, yes, lots of different types of monsters! It also closes with a few great sentences (which I won't spoil). The fleshy bits between? Let's talk.

I'm not on the monster hunter reading wagon, although I know many...
Published 16 months ago by Todd Russell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer Fiction, November 10, 2011
This review is from: The Revenant Road (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A horrific romp through a wondrously sick mind., April 15, 2009
Boatman's funny.

Part slash fest, part Monty Python, part mystery. His main character, Obadiah Grudge, has a distinct, over the top voice that I got really into. The frequent outtakes work well with the story and Boatman has a good sense of dialogue.

He's got some terrific one-liners that had me marveling at his creativity like:

"I stopped, blinking like a politician caught fondling himself while reading to Mormon pre-schoolers."

And a plot that kicks along too - the overall story arc is the indoctrination of a new and reticent monster hunter set in present day. It's a well articulated hero story, with the real twist being how Boatman manages to make it both scary and funny. In The Revenant Road he has struck a fine balance between humor and horror.

There is no question that this is the start of a series, and I for one am ready read on.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Refreshing Take on Urban Fantasy, September 7, 2013
This review is from: Revenant Road (Kindle Edition)
DarkFuse, the publisher, is more typically known as a horror publisher, but Revenant Road is predominantly urban fantasy. And it is amazing.

This is the story of Obadiah Grudge and how he was introduced to the world of vampires and werewolves and other nasty monsters from human folklore. A successful writer of crime fiction, Grudge was thrust into this world after the death of his father, entirely against his wishes. And that introduced probably the biggest problem with the story: Grudge is not a likable character for most of the time the reader spends with him. He is rude and obnoxious to everyone he meets, without exceptions, and that gets old after a while.

Even with a protagonist trying to put the brakes on at every turn, the story moves along briskly for the most part; a handful of scenes drag on a bit too long, but never to the point of distraction. The ending leaves room for a sequel, and according to Boatman's Twitter, he has just such a story kicking around in his head. I, for one, can't wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written and great fun, December 11, 2008
Hunter Goatley "Hunter" (Bowling Green, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Revenant Road (Paperback)
I had no idea what to expect from the book, as I avoided reading the synopsis. I was very surprised to find that it's a well-written horror novel with liberal amounts of humor thrown in (and funny humor, at that). The bad guys are real monsters, something you don't see much of these days, and Grudge and Kowalski are complex characters. The bonus story, which tells Kowalski's origin story, is a great addition to the novel. I hope there are more Grudge stories to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Supernatural Horror Story, September 18, 2013
This review is from: Revenant Road (Kindle Edition)
Obadiah Grudge is a writer of fictional crime novels; believable stories. He returns to his roots upon learning of his father's death in a plane crash, a father who had walked out on he and his mother many years before.

Grudge soon finds that the `plane crash' story was a complete lie and that his father hunted monsters for a living. He also comes to the horrifying realization that werewolves, vampires, and even the bogeyman are as real as you and I. Because `hunting' has been the family legacy for many generations, these creatures now are coming for him - to stop him before he can learn of his gifts.

A compelling story from the very beginning. Take a walk with Obadiah Grudge down a path filled with horror, anger, frustration, and even a few tears. And, enjoy a few hearty laughs along the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Monster Romp, September 2, 2013
Bill (CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revenant Road (Kindle Edition)
There is a tear between worlds. The Hunters are our only protection. With their Talents they try and seal the gap when The Hallowed Ones tear thru to take a human form as their vessel and to devour flesh.

This story was a very well written monster romp that was able to entertain and hold my attention throughout. The main character Obidiah, while interesting, was not a very likable character and only started to redeem himself toward the end of the story.

Overall, a good mix of humor and horror that definitely leaves some story threads hanging out there for a possible sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars A family legacy of supernatural hunters, August 17, 2013
This review is from: Revenant Road (Kindle Edition)
In this original story, our main character is Obidiah Grudge--an arrogant, self-centered writer--finds himself confronted with a previously unknown (to him) legacy of his family in dealing with supernatural entities. Grudge's personality, while at times quite witty and laugh-out-loud funny is countered by his contempt for just about everyone and everything around him, throughout most of the novel. If I'd noticed a change in his attitude earlier in the book (say, about half way in), I could see myself liking him more as a character. For a first-person narrative, this can be very important. As it was, I didn't see much in the way of redeeming qualities until the last quarter of the book.

Other than this aspect, I really enjoyed the storyline. The beginning sucks you in relentlessly, and the rest was well-paced and flowed along consistently. The story was laced with humorous interludes and comments that really made it stand out more. Personally, I loved what Boatman did with the idea of how supernatural entities/monsters find a place here on Earth. The writing style was vivid and compelled me to read on. I would have liked to know more about the past of Grudge's partner, Kowalski, but perhaps that is part of a tale for another day....

Other than my "mostly" dislike for the main character during the first 3/4 of the novel, it was a very fun--yet gruesome--trip.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Revenant Road, July 9, 2009
This review is from: The Revenant Road (Paperback)
I became instantly enthralled by the character of Obadiah. I consider myself a master reader and am always excited when a character and story come together so naturally. As a fan of Tananarive Due, Stephen King and the late Octavia Butler, I found Mr. Boatman's imagination and abilities on par with these great writers.
His intelligent, witty and truthful use of words was refreshing entertaining and educational. (I found myself learning the meaning of a few words while reading :) Literature that both entertains and maintains the underlying theme of good vs evil and finding ones true path is classic. Both Obadiah and Neville display courage and fear in honest and human ways amid the horror of the monsters. I am always looking for something personal when reading and Boatman delivered for me!
The addition of Neville's story only made me want more. I hope Boatman takes us on another journey with these two wonderfully human characters but if not, whichever road his amazing imagination and talents chooses to tread, I will be there

5.0 out of 5 stars Ride The Revenant Road, July 11, 2009
This review is from: The Revenant Road (Paperback)
Mixing world-wide mythology with new terminology, Michael Boatman's The Revenant Road is a well crafted tale of horror and humor. Main character Obadiah Grudge is dragged, unwillingly, into the monster hunting business by his late father's partner, Neville. And with this simple premise, Boatman cranks up the carnage, and the fun. The characters are well drawn, the violence is bloody and the humor had me laughing out loud. There is a bonus short story, that fleshes out Neville's past, that is easily as good as the main feature. I hope we get to see more of Obadiah and Neville in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very darkly humourous horror tale, November 21, 2013
This review is from: Revenant Road (Kindle Edition)
This is the story of Obidiah Grudge. One minute he is writing successful horror stories, the next he hears of the death of his estranged father. He goes to the funeral and there he meets his father's so-called partner. Soon he learns that a far different path has been chosen for him than the one he is on...

I enjoyed this but not as much as I thought I would. I loved the dark humour, and there were some seriously funny moments, believe me. I just couldn't feel anything for the protagonist. He seemed to spend the entire book griping and moaning and not really getting on with things. There were times when I seriously wanted to slap him! That being said, the story itself was excellent and really good fun. The pace was good, and the ending was brilliant. If you can get past the ever complaining main character, then this is an enjoyable romp.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Revenant Road
The Revenant Road by Michael Boatman (Paperback - January 15, 2009)
Used & New from: $24.43