4.0 out of 5 stars Declining comfort and support
My wife and I purchased this item from a local mattress store six years ago. Here's my retrospective review:

Published 22 months ago by TampaJim&Kris

1.0 out of 5 stars Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody did not last 4 years.
My wife and I purchased split king Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody complete with individual adjustable bases and was happy with our purchase for about 3 years. After that things have gone down hill quickly.

Do not depend on Tempur's warranty it does not cover the problems we have with the mattresses.

We purchased the Rhapsody because we like a firm bed...
Published on August 28, 2011 by B. Comley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Declining comfort and support, May 9, 2013
This review is from: The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic Queen Mattress

PROS: After getting past two weeks of nauseous chemical odor, my wife and I were Tempur-pedic converts sharing our glowing reviews with friends and family. We had a conventional mattress before the Tempur-pedic for about ten years and had suffered from morning back pain for about three years. After the first night on this mattress, the pain was completely and permanently gone (until about six months ago). So for the first five and a half years, I would rate this mattress five stars, disapointed that a special sixth star was not available for super-superior products (despite two weeks of initial chemical odor).

CONS: As of six months ago, the mattress began to "lose its memory". When the mattress cover and sheets were off, you could see and feel our torso imprint. If you press down on the same torso impression and then press down on another spot on the mattress, you can definitely feel reduced resistance in the torso spot. Just so you know, I am 5' 11" and weigh 170 pounds, so no extreme weight issue here.

Every morning I feel exactly like I use to feel with my ten year old, rather inexpensive conventional mattress. For my wife and I, the $4,000 hit for the mattress, box springs (King size), delivery and mattress cover was significant. As such, we would never suggest this product to our friends and family.

Note: we did a head to toe rotation this morning (although you are not supposed to have to do this) and hope we get some relief. Otherwise, back to the mattress store.

EDIT 9-24-2013 - We did rotate the mattress and got a tiny bit of comfort increase for about a month. We ended up filing a warranty claim with Tempurpedic and received our brand new mattress and box springs about 2 weeks ago. As when we first purchased the bed, we notice an intensely drastic change in the quality of our sleep. After the first night on the replaced mattress we both woke with no body aches at all!!! NONE!

At the end of the day, I am not sure if the first mattress was defective or if you can expect to only receive 4 to 5 good years of use. What I do know is that while the mattress is in good shape, it is an awesome, awesome sleep. As such, and given Tempurpedics replacement mattress (absolutely no cost to me), I am upping the original rating from 2 stars to 4 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody did not last 4 years., August 28, 2011
This review is from: The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic Queen Mattress

We purchased the Rhapsody because we like a firm bed. Starting about the third year the bed just started getting soft and continues to get softer each passing day.

It has gotten so bad that sitting on the bed you sink over 6 inches of the 11 inch thickness. It did not do that when it was new.

The problem is it returns back to it's normal shape like it was never slept/sat on. That is why the warranty is worthless. Tempur only covers it if it does not return to within 3/4 of the inch to its original shape.

Bottom line is the bed has little support. You just sink into it and not evenly creating joint problems over time.

Each of us not realizing started sleeping in different not normal positions trying to get a good night sleep. Over time this has cause joint pains in both of us.

Now that we have figure that the bed is causing both of us pains and while we are searching for a replacement. We decided to turn the mattress over and sleep on the hard foam side not the memory foam. Our sleep and pains greatly improved but the mattress is a little unstable with the memory foam down.

Bottom line, If you like a firm bed do not purchase a Tempur-Pedic. They say it is a 20+ year mattress we did not get 4 years before we needed to replace it.

We spent over $4,000.00 for the Rhapsody split king and did not get 4 years out of it. We are now waiting on delivery of a $1,000.00 Beautyrest split King. I have a feeling we will get much more than 4 years out of it. We are staying away from memory foam.

Our track record has been we got 18 years out of our Sterns and Foster queen, Replaced with Symbol 12 years a go and still have it in our guessed bed room (guest love it). Decided to upgrade to a King less than 4 years ago getting the Rhapsody and is now considered garbage.

Hope this helps,
Brian

5.0 out of 5 stars RHAPSODY BREEZE + FEATHER BED = BLISS, January 20, 2013
Joel (Albuquerque, NM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic Queen Mattress
The main reservations about this mattress (aside from cost) seem to be excessive initial firmness and 'hot sleeping' caused by lack of breathability. The 'breeze' version of the rhapsody is intended to sleep cooler, thanks to an additional upper layer, but we didn't like the idea of having to spend hours walking on it in bare feet to break in the decidedly firm memory foam, and the 'clingy' feel of the surface of the mattress takes some getting used to.

The solution? We took the feather bed from atop our old mattress, placed it on the temper-pedic, added a high-quality mattress pad... and voila! Most comfortable bed either of us has ever slept on, bar none. Just make sure you buy sheets that will accommodate the considerable thickness of the three components.

To understand why this solution works so well, you have to appreciate that part of what feels like excessive tautness in the tempur-pedic is a function of the way that its memory foam generates support. Rather than having a 'skin' made up of fabric with a foam and batting under-layer, which distributes pressure across multiple coils that collectively generate support, a foam mattress's cells generate support by getting pushed closer together. The best way to think of how your body interacts with the foam cells is to picture a boat hull sinking into water, until it displaces sufficient water to 'float.' Like water molecules 'pushing' back against the hull of a boat, the foam conforms to the contours of your limbs, noggin, behind, etc. The extent to which a person's body is enveloped in the foam--submerged, if you will--is dictated by its density relative to that of the foam.

So, by putting a feather bed atop a closed cell, memory foam mattress, you create more diffuse pressure across its surface. You still sink in, but no individual part of you sinks in quite as much, and there is a less 'clingy' feel against your skin. However, you still get all the other benefits of closed cell memory foam: deadened feel, continually self-adjusting surface, etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not warranty mattress, March 1, 2014
This review is from: The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic Queen Mattress
We purchased our mattress 7 years ago, the warranty states within 10 years they will fully replace and beyond ten years they will only prorate. The company that sold us the mattress has gone out of business and temperpedic has denied our warranty even though we have called on this problem before and they have all our information and proof of purchase on file. I told them they needed to cross reference the serial number and they refused. After spending 100% more for this mattress than other mattresses and have it collaps in the center after on 7 years. Buyer beware, as soon as the foam gets warm it sinks and collapses. When I put a board across the bed there is a 3 inch dip in the center of the bed. It also becomes more uncomfortable than our old spring mattress which was after 12 years.pyou would think they would want customer satisfaction, they don't care. When temperpedic first started to come out with these memory foam mattress they had no idea that they would fail after just 7 years , well now greed had taken over and they won't even help the people that made their company grow. Shame on you .... Don't not buy a temperpedic mattress. It will fail and the company will not warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen, July 21, 2013
This review is from: The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic Queen Mattress
I did extensive research and heeded all the warnings about the Tempurpedic.... My retailer offered me the 90 day return policy as normal... I like a firmer mattress but I must tell you, I took instantly to the Tempurpedic... It is by far the best mattress I have ever owned... The whole stiffness issue is overblown and in fact is welcome... Now a caveat: if you prefer a softer feel, chances are this is not for you. I recognize others have had transition issues, but my tabby and I could not be happier... The downside if course is the price.... Total sticker shock... But would I do it again? You bet

1.0 out of 5 stars Painful Purchase, June 18, 2013
This review is from: The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic Queen Mattress
Although I did not purchase the Rhapsody from Amazon, I had to write this review. This mattress is the worst "investment" that I have made. I use to word "investment" because of the cost but when you have horrible back problems and you think you are getting an A+ rated mattress, you don't seem to mind. This mattress has worsened my back problem and caused my husband to start having back pain. It sinks tremendously and as one other reviewer mentioned, you have to roll out of the hole. Lesson learned (again) that expensive isn't always better. I'm going back to a standard mattress. What a waste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, October 22, 2012
This review is from: The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic Queen Mattress
I've had this bed for about 8 months and its been great. Any time I do a big days worth of house/yard work or something, my back is usually completely shot and the next morning is when the pain is at its worst. Since getting this bed its been completely different, I feel so much better the next day. It actually seems to have a therapeutic effect. I've always liked firmer mattresses, and this seems to have just the right mix of firmness and softness.

1.0 out of 5 stars Well, after less than one year, March 20, 2014
This review is from: The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic Queen Mattress
I am ready to burn this mattress to the ground. Shoulder pain, back pain. An over heating are just the beginning. We spent $4000.00 on a bed that requires me adjusting to it. Really! For that price it should adjust to me immediately. Why, at this price should I have to add pillow tops and additional covers to make it work. I would not recommend this bed to anyone who wants to get a good nights sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Right, November 30, 2013
This review is from: The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic Queen Mattress
I was so close to "not" purchasing the Rhapsody because of the mixed reviews I have read regarding this mattress. I am so glad I listened to my gut instead of the reviewers. First of all, the Rhapsody is Tempur Pedics "goldilocks" of beds, not too hard & not too soft. There isnt scientific evidence to prove that one type of mattress will help you sleep better than another, so people such as my husband with chronic back pain will sleep better on a med-firm mattress & this can only be determined by sleeping on the mattress. Keep in mind, what may or may not work for you, does not necessarily mean it will work for me. If too soft a mattress, you'll have tendency to sink, but too hard a mattress you have too much pressure on the sacrum, shoulders, back & neck. In our case, a medium-firm mattress will give my husband that "just right" balance of support and cushioning to keep his spine in proper alignment. It's all a matter of preference. I can't get my mind around reviewing a mattress, because some favor a softer feel & others a firmer feel & we all suffer different ailments, etc. and until you sleep on the mattress of your preference for at least 4+ weeks to determine if right for
you, it may be difficult to find that mattress suitable for you. Good luck

5.0 out of 5 stars To Sleep, Perchance to Dream, April 16, 2013
This review is from: The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic Queen Mattress
We have Temper-Pedic Rhapsody (twin XL) mattresses and love sleeping on them. We sleep deeply, comfortably, and wake up refreshed. They are firm enough to support us but, not hard.

My mattress is four-and-one-half years old now. There are no indentations, lumps, bumps, etc. My husband, a portly gentleman, has had his mattress replaced FREE, including delivery and removal of the old mattress. All he had to do was take a photo of the mattress with a ruler (held on its edge) on it. A quarter was placed (on end) on the mattress where it indented. The gap was quite evident and Temper-Pedic was satisfied that, he did indeed, need a new mattress. He got one very quickly!

Others have mentioned that the mattress makes them feel hot. Occasionally, we feel that the mattress 'sleeps warm', but not frequently. It definitely isn't a problem for us.

We both have issues with our spines and have never slept so well as on the Temper-Pedic mattresses. There's no more turning and tossing; just deep, relaxing sleep. We anticipate another 15 1/2 years of good rest on them. We heartily recommend them to our family and friends. As a matter of fact, our experience convinced three family members to switch to them, too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›