4.0 out of 5 stars Some nice essays.
Published on October 11, 2011 by S. Bakkila

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but not much content
Published on January 1, 2012 by Mom2two

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but not much content, January 1, 2012
Mom2two (Livermore, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons (Paperback)
The photography in this book is stunning. I gave it 3 stars because the book was worth buying just for the photographs in my opinion. But I've been living with this book for a few months, picking it up, looking at the essays and project ideas. I've been unsettled. It's a great concept and I love this particular mama and what she's about. But there's very little real content here.

The essays were like diary entries -- things about their family and experiences. There's some value to this I guess, but I thought the book would be about rhythm in family in general -- not just this particular family's journal of their private adventures. The book should have been called "The Rhythm of Our Family" or something like that.

Each month offers some crafting or cooking idea, but that doesn't add up to much. Far better books exist on crafting with family through the year, connecting with family outdoors, and cooking. For crafts I like "Crafts Through the Year" by Thomas Berger. For outdoor exploration I love "Nature's Playground" - it's packed full of ideas for exploring nature in every season with children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some nice essays., October 11, 2011
Have skipped around the book as it's now fall when I received it, and have enjoyed the essays from "Mama" and "Papa." Some nice writing. Her husband writes well. So far, many of the "projects" are pretty normal and I'd say are secondary in this book. I think the overall book is about the essays, thinking of the cycles in families and the natural world we love in (like the title says). I can appreciate their decision to essentially step away from the type of life many of us lead, but I don't think many of us can honestly devote days to preserving tomatoes on top of everything else. Her job is to be exactly what she is. Sadly, that's not my job. My life is much more ordinary and typical of living in suburbia. But I do appreciate the book, it's message, the photos and the fact it makes me CONSIDER how we can choose a path more geared toward our family and our home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and calming, August 29, 2011
As a follow up the Amanda Soules other two books this one is really lovely. The book is full of thoughtful essays on each month and the changes in the family as the seasons change. More of an inspiration for aware parenting than an "how to" book. Has great crafts, recipes and ideas but also a lot of wisdom. I feel the value is in the words to help remind us to slow down and enjoy our children and families. Also the photography is amazing! Really wonderful to hear from another family doing things by hand, from scratch, and with intention. Very lovely, worth owning! No offense to Amazon, but buy from Soulemama website like I did and get yours autographed (plus you can see cute pics of the whole family packing up all the ougoing books!)

2.0 out of 5 stars I would return it, if it weren't for the hassle, August 1, 2012
I loved the idea of this book, I loved the cover, and I really wanted to love this book. As a new parent, I don't have the time that I used to investigate books as thoroughly. I have, however, spent a lot of time looking through the author's other book "Handmade Home". I liked the book, although not enough to buy it, and I used this along with the concept and beautiful cover to decide to buy this book. When I received the book I immediately browsed the projects and recipes only to be very much unimpressed. The book sat for a while. Later, I started to read the essays and I just couldn't get into it. Maybe, if you are more of a beginner this would be a good book for you. I personally felt that I didn't need instructions for any of the projects, and any that needed more guidance could easily be found on the internet. For example, the one project I think that I would like to do is to make recycled paper. The process is relatively self explanatory, and if you wanted a specific recipe, one could easily find it on the internet.

I get that the projects are supposed to be things that you can do with kids, but if they are that simple I think the book should make up for it in quantity. (The book is divided up into months and each month has about 3 projects/ recipes) I just felt like this book should have been a blog. I don't mean to bash the book, and I hate to actually, but I do feel like I wasted my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ideas for the whole Family, August 21, 2011
Slowing down and enjoying life. That is the mantra of "The Rhythm of the Family". Each month ideas are given that support local cuisine and the natural rhythm of the season. My favorite part of each chapter was "PA". Where Amanda's husband gives his own interpretation of the month--its so refreshing to have a mans perspective on creating rhythms and seeing one so devoted to his family. Reading this book along with my husband has helped our own relationship grow to family nature walks and family dinners. Thank you for bringing such a wonderful addition to our home--on the coffee table as a great conversation starter now!

5.0 out of 5 stars encouraging, March 8, 2012
I love Amanda's blog, Soulemama, and her first two books are among my favorites for inspiration on what to do WITH my boys when a slot of creative time presents itself. Her third book is as excellent as the first two. Her first book, The Creative Family, really focuses on MAKING things WITH your children; her second book, Handmade Home, focuses on making things with your children without going to the made in China craft store and spending a lot of money (use what you have). Her third book includes making things with your children as well, but the focus is how it all works together in real life, i.e. you and your children make an herbal chest salve during the season you will most likely need it, etc. A simple concept, yes, but one I find comforting in print. Her organization of seasonal activities is a gift to me; she has taken the time to help me "see" my children, our family, in each season. The projects, simple but beautiful, tie in seamlessly with the essays written by Amanda and her husband, Steve. The essays give me pause to think, to breathe, to slow down in my "to do" list and really look at my two guys at the ages they are NOW, and my interaction with them NOW, and what is going on OUTside NOW. Any author who encourages me as a mom to be in the moment with my children, who inspires me to learn and grow along with my children, who encourages me to see beauty everywhere I look, is a gift to me.
I want to address the person who was offended by Amanda's chapter on meditation. I am a Christian and Amanda, I believe, is a buddhist. As a Christian, I teach my children to pray and to meditate on the Word of God. Her chapter on meditation, and other statements by Amanda or Steve that clash with my Christian worldview are NOT, for me, grounds for dismissing her book. There are authors who have a worldview agenda when they write a book, and you can usually pick up on it early on. Amanda's books (and blog) do not fall into that category. Her message is clear in all that she does: love of motherhood, love of home, love of children, love of (and respect for) husband, love of creativity, and love of nature. She is a buddhist (I believe) and I am a Christian, yet we are both women who share these loves. I can learn from her without fearing she'll influence my Christian walk, and I can love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent book!, August 9, 2011
Amanda Blake Soule has done it again! This is yet another beautiful and inspiring book. It is certainly a true celebration of all of the months/seasons and a great reminder to enjoy the present. I really enjoy the way this book is woven together - recipes, essays, and projects - all put together very thoughtfully with good flow. This is simply a lovely book, one you'll return to again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family ideas, September 5, 2011
This little book gives some ideas to get a young family back into the rhythm of the seasons and the rhythm of nature. It has a chapter for each month of the year and in each chapter are word and thoughts from mama and papa, like the ins and outs of children going outside and back in, in the winter. There are a few recipes in the whole book; the oat bread is very good. There are things to make or do such as knitting projects, growing herbs, going camping.
In total it's a sweet little book for your family or to give as a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and inspiring book!, August 13, 2011
This book is not only full of beautiful pictures and projects but more importantly reminds us to take a breath and let nature and the seasons back into our life. Something we all to often forget in our today's hurried way of living.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really lovely, inspiring read, August 14, 2011
This is a beautiful book full of simple, nature-based crafts and projects to help you celebrate the seasons with your friends, as well as a gentle reminder to focus on life as it passes and keep your sights on what's really important. The lovely photography and narratives pull it together and make for an inspiring, cozy book to treasure for years to come.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons by Amanda Blake Soule (Paperback - August 9, 2011)
$19.95 $13.50