1,248 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better the fifth time around!
I first heard about this book 17 years ago. At that time, I was in a direct sales company and had the good fortune to attend a seminar conducted by a businessman named Jim Rohn.
Published on March 7, 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars A Few Good Ideas, Beaten to Death
I am going out on a limb and disagreeing with the mass of reviewers who have raved over this book. I just can't see what the big deal is. Yes, it does present some great advice in a creative way, but I wasn't awestruck by how entertaining it was or what deep wisdom it takes to tell people to save money. I'll also mention that I'm not down on "The Richest Man in...
Published on November 30, 2004 by Houyhnhnm

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better the fifth time around!, March 7, 2004
By A Customer
Mr. Rohn talked about his early mentor, a man named Earl Schoff and went on to tell us how Mr. Schoff turned him on to personal development and pointed him to the right books to read. One of the most important books, said Rohn was The Richest Man in Bablyon.
Rohn had made and lost a fortune but came back and made another fortune and gave credit to the principles in The Richest Man in Bablyon for helping him accomplish that feat.
I read The Richest Man in Bablyon and have to admit, I hated it! I thought it was stupid, like feel good stuff that has no substance. When ever friends came over, I hid the book. I felt so ridiculous.
But Mr. Rohns words of wisdom kept echeoing in my mind. So I read it over and over untill the principles were imbedded into my conscious and subconsious mind.
Soon, after the fifth reading, the the principles became habits for me. My wealth esculated at a very rapid rate. I was no longer wasting money. I was now investing the first 10% of my income, tithing 10% and investing another 10% in capital like no load mutuals, real estate, discounted mortgages, tax liens and my own business.
The Richest Man in Bablyon has 7 basic principles:
1) Start thy purse to fattening - save/invest
2) Control thy expenditures - watch out for self serving brokers
3) Make thy gold mutiply - use powerful investments
4) Guard thy treasures from loss - watch out for brokers with
their hot tips.
5) Make of thy dwelling a profitable investment - rental properties, your own home---but stay within your means.
6) Insure a future income - do work that you love to do. Become excellent at it.
7) Increase thy ability to earn - education never stops. Keep reading good books like this one, The Millionaire Next Door, Rich Dad Poor Dad and so on.
The Richest Man in Bablyon is an excellent book. Although only 145 pages, it is packed with powerful information that can be life changing. It has helped some people like Jim Rohn and others become millionaires.
George Samuel Clason was born in Louisiana, Missouri, on November 7, 1874. He attended the University of Nebraska and served in the United States Army during the Spanish-American War. Beginning a long career in publishing, he founded the Clason Map Company of Denver, Colorado and published the first road atlas of the United States and Canada. In 1926, he issued the first in a series of pamphlets on thrift and financial success, using parables set in ancient Bablyon to make each of his points.
These were distributed in large quantities by banks and insurance companies and became familiar to millions, the most famous being "The Richest Man in Bablyon," the parable which has impacted the lives of millions of people. These "Babylonian Parables" have become a modern inspiritional classic.
The Richest Man in Babylon is must reading for anyone who wants to achieve maximum financial success. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars POWERFUL, VERY POWERFUL BOOK!, August 1, 1998
By A Customer
I am continually amazed at how a book so small can contain so much content and be so powerful. This book should be mandatory reading beginning at the grade school level through college and should be given as a gift right along with a diploma.
I took the advice of acde1034@yahoo.com who recommended 'The Millionaire next Door" and "More Weath without Risk" and bought and have read both. Both of these books are in the same status as "The Richest Man in Bablyon" and should also be required reading by anyone who is serious about their financial future. I am now giving "Richest Man in Bablyon" as a accessory gift to a cash gift at weddings and graduations.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Old Book with a Fair Amount of Wisdom, November 8, 2001
D. W. Casey (Sturbridge, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I often give this book out as a gift whenever a person younger than me asks for my advice on money. I always present this book to them saying "if you read it and do as it says, it will work magic." It really contains excellent, time tested advice, and would make a good gift for someone in their early 20s who is on their own for the first time, and struggling.
The book is a series of parables about money written in the 1920s by George Clason. They were written as individual essays of a few thousand words, but the theme throughout them is consistent -- save 10% of your money, give 10% away, use 10% to reduce your debt load, and live on the remaining 70%.
The stories in the book are entertaining; they are reminiscent of some of the parables in the Bible, such as the Prodigal Son or the story of the Workers in the Vineyard. I think this is intentional on the part of the author; certainly readers in the 1920s had an appreciation for "old fashioned stories with a moral" that people today seem to have lost. I enjoy the book greatly, though, and any thoughtful person who reads the book should find it interesting, especially if they are trying to get their finances in order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Common sense is not necessarily common knowledge, December 26, 2002
Pat Thorton (United States of America) - See all my reviews
I have to chucle when people say that outstanding books like this one by George Clayson are just "good old fashioned common sense" and are complaining because of the books brevity. You missed the whole point!Common sense is not necessarily common knowledge.I used to work for a millionaire who credited the principles in this book for helpin create his fortune which was in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Save a dime out of every dollar. That is all it takes to start your fortune. But how many actually will do it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a must read for everyone., March 4, 2000
When I started in sales 15 years ago, a very good friend of mine turned me on on the mind books. This was one of three he recommended and he was very successful.The other books were Think and Grow Rich and Success through a Positive Mental Attitude. The principles in Richest Man in Bablyon are timeless. Remember, you can live off your income, but you can't get wealthy off your income. You only get wealthy by investing and Richest Man in Bablyon teaches that all important step of investing.Two other books to read in the area of personal finance are Wealth without Risk and Financial Self Defense by Charles Givens. These books will show you how to save more on what you make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and timeless, February 14, 2004
By A Customer
I am still amazed that such a tiny book can deliver so much powerful and timeless information. The Richest Man in Bablyon contains the secrets of the ages and is a must read book for anyone who wants financial success.
It should be read and reread, over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars A ONE OF A KIND CLASSIC, June 4, 1998
By A Customer
I first read "Richest Man in Bablyon bac in 1975. At first I was taken back by it's compact size and story book style. This book should be read by everyone from grade school to the college level students, employees, executives and the self employed. In todays's society, where people spend most if not all of what they make, this book is mre valuable than ever. Other books I would recommend are; "The Millionaire next Door" by Dr. Stanley et all, "More Wealth without Risk" and "Financial Self-Defense" by Charles Givens. Great book. A must read for anyone seeking financial independence,

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Financial Advice for Everyone., January 18, 2001
Mark Hiatt (Lincoln, NE USA, where Lindbergh learned to fly.) - See all my reviews
Twenty-five years ago, I sold radio advertising and had a client who seemed to have it all. Owned two of the town's best restaurants, drove a Porsche and a BMW, the hot cars then, was always taking a week or two off to go skiing or something and was only one year older than me. I'd spent a lot of time with the guy--he wasn't a great brain, terribly clever or witty. But he knew how to handle money.
After calling on him for a couple of years, I figured I knew him well enough to ask him how he did it. I expected to hear he was deeply into commodities trading, or had an uncle who worked on Wall Street, a wealthy family or something like that, but he said it was really very simple. Once a year, he read The Richest Man in Babylon, and the rest of the year, he tried to apply it in his daily life.
Well, you know how it is with people who Get Relgion. I wasn't in a place where I could accept that something so simple as reading a hundred and fifty pages of Ye Olde Storey could actually turn my financial life around, but I bought a copy. And about a year later on a rainy Saturday, I started reading it and couldn't put down. I know that's a phrase you see repeated in countless Amazon.com reviews, but it was true. The characters from the book reached out across thousands of years and grabbed me by the lapels and shook some sense into me.
I have tried to re-read the book at least once per year, every year since then. Something else: I've tried to give away two copies per year, to people I know and love who I feel can benefit from not making the same mistakes I made in my mispent youth.
There aren't any magic formulas in this book. There is nothing about options or day trading or investing new whatever the latest new technology is. It's almost math-free. Kind of ironic, when you turn the pages of the average business best seller and try to figure out the charts and graphs and algebra.
This is a book that ought to be used in our schools. It's written in a wonderful old-world style and the characters are real heroes, grapling with many of the same issues we struggle with today--they're just doing it without cable-TV and the internet. You want a new Lexus? These folks talk about how hard it is to survive without one of the newest-model chariots. It's the same thing, really.
Do yourself, your spouse, your children, your neighbors a favor. Buy a few copies of this one. Keep one for yourself, and give away the rest. Mark yours up. Underline it. Make notes in the margins. Try to re-read it whenever you feel yourself being tempted to pop for ADSL or new cellular phone or a ski trip or the latest and greatest widget.
Read a single financial book, and you get a few good ideas. Read two and you get a few more. Read several and you start to get very little new information. I've read dozens of titles, from Andrew Tobias to Martin Zweig. But I'd recommend you start right here. If you never read another book on money, you will have a very sound basis for a very good life, after spending a day in ancient Babylon and watching how they learned to handle money thousands of years ago. This is the money book to buy if you're only buying one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the sophisticated...But,, July 19, 2002
Ted Daniels (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews
How are the sophisticated doing financially? By sophisticated, I mean the affluent, high income earners who spend most of what they make...Richest Man in Bablyon is timeless like Think and Grow Rich but written in a style like the very popular Rich Dad, Poor Dad series.An easy read. Informative and entertaining.I suspect that this book hit a nerve with the 1 star reviewers. Living a little bit too high? Then read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book worth reading over and over, July 1, 2004
By A Customer
I think that some people underestimate this book due to it's small size. This is NOT a book that you will want to read only once and put away, you will NEED to read this over and over untill the ideas saturate both your conscious and subscious minds and untill the ideas become habits. Then you will achieve some real results.

The Richest Man in Babylon