4.0 out of 5 stars Commercial country with twang
Aaron Lewis
"The Road"
(Blaster Records/Warner Nashville, 2012)
Published on November 13, 2012 by DJ Joe Sixpack

3.0 out of 5 stars Felt Like he was trying to hard
Let me start with a caveat...I LOVE me some Aaron Lewis! And it does pain me to only give this album 3 stars, but I just can't give it more.

Published on November 13, 2012 by Amy O'Neill

4.0 out of 5 stars Commercial country with twang, November 13, 2012
Aaron Lewis
"The Road"
(Blaster Records/Warner Nashville, 2012)
------------------------------------------------------------
This is commercial country with an admirable amount of twang. A rocker from the alt-metal band, Staind, singer Aaron Lewis "went country" a couple of years ago and signed with producer James Stroud's short-lived Stroudavarious label. He's still working with Stroud on this solid set of chunky neo-trad twang -- it's not quite in Dwight Yoakam or Alan Jackson, but maybe more like Montgomery Gentry or Tracy Lawrence in their rootsier moments. Still, it's a welcome change of pace from the usual high-tech Nashville pop of today. Lewis adds robust vocals and writes almost all the songs... This is commercial country, but with some grit - worth checking out if you're looking for mainstream stuff with a little edge. (DJ Joe Sixpack, Slipcue Guide To Country Music)

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT ONE BY AARON LEWIS!, November 13, 2012
This review is from: The Road (Audio CD)
I loved Aaron Lewis first solo album "Town Line" and felt that he was much better in the country music venue than rock. So.........I awaited his second release "The Road" with eager anticipation. Aaron took a while getting this album released, but it was well worth the wait. The Road is awesome throughout, with fantastic story telling combined with heart felt lyrics. He also shows off his vocal abilities and wide range with songs which take him down almost into the bass range and also those that push the tenor envelope....much like my own vocal capabilities and range so I can relate. My Son (also named Aaron!)has been a fan of Stained for quite some time and introduced me to Aaron's "country" music side, and quite frankly.........I'm hooked. This is a SUPER album that is sure to please anyone who loves country music as much as I do. One caviat.....spring for the "deluxe" edition. It includes some awesome live performances that also showcase Aaron's talent! Well worth any extra cost.

3.0 out of 5 stars Felt Like he was trying to hard, November 13, 2012
Amy O'Neill (Blissfield, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Road (MP3 Music)

There were only 2 songs I enjoyed ... songs I have already heard before the album came out. But the majority of the songs seemed like he was trying to hard to drive home he's country. I wanted to scream - "yeah we get it!"

I could hear classic country influences in the melodies and though I liked those, sometimes the lyrics seemed like he was reaching and it just wasn't what I was hoping this album would be.

And the last song - Party in Hell - yeah that should have been forgotten. We get there are drugs and hard living in country, but that's just not something that is glorified (trucks, beer - those are glorified...not hard drugs!)!!... like the lyric about Keith Whitley being in Hell rubbed me the wrong way and I felt offended for Lori Morgan and his family....and really you could leave out the reference to cocaine.

I think Aaron can do good as a country singer with that voice, but STOP TRYING SO HARD ...we get you are a good ol' boy who bleeds Red, White, & Blue and is proud of your Granddaddy's gun. There are a lot of us like that - we are just as proud of it without having to beat others over the head so they `get it' too.

Still a fan, still rooting for you. Wish you could have included your cover of "What Hurts the Most."

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely country... Hardcore Staind fans, be prepared., November 19, 2012
This review is from: The Road (Audio CD)
Aaron Lewis, in my opinion, is one of the reasons of why Staind became famous. His lyrics, his voice, his tone, his emotions, and his storytelling all have made him one of my favorite artists. First with Staind and then with introduction to country in Town Line. Now that The Road has finally been released after such a long wait with record deal problems, it is safe to say that Aaron Lewis went all country on this one--

The Road is very much a country album. In my opinion, Aaron Lewis' EP Town Line was minimal country; almost a blend of what Aaron Lewis wanted to do to enter the market. With some of his success with the song 'Country Boy', Aaron Lewis decided to go all the way. The music is twangy, the music is bold, the music is very much sorrowful. To all the hardcore Staind fans, this is not like the latest self titled album from Staind with hard songs like 'The Bottom' or 'Now'. This really isn't in my opinion like Town Line with the exception of 'Endless Summer' and 'Forever'. This album fits on GAC or on a great local Country station. Much of the lyrics fit with the country lifestyle. However, some of the lyrics are very repetitive in quite a few songs. 'The Road' being one of those songs... the same line is repeated. The variation is mediocre and could have used some more creative lines for these songs. This is my only complaint about the album. I knew the album was country and it most importantly *FITS*. This album is good and the musical outline may help to explain why I feel this way.

Musical Outline:
The Road starts off with the song '75' speaking of Aaron Lewis rolling down in his "bedroom" down the road 75. A basic tale of an artist's trouble with being on the road. Getting tired of the same old, tired of the drive, tired of missing his family. We then continue onto The Road, the same basics as the first, and then off to the melody of 'Endless Summer'. Fans who listened to Town Line will be pleasantly happy with this single as it is not too country... not too twangy, very upbeat, very happy- "Zoe- go and grab the fishing poles." Red, White, and Blue and Lesson's Learned move onto a very American filled lyrical style. I am happy to see that pride displayed. 'Forever' is a somber song in which Aaron Lewis describes the trouble filled life style of being on the road and what could ultimately be interpreted as speaking of his wife. My personal favorite, "Granddaddy's Gun' is heart filled and speaks of an old 12 gauge that Aaron Lewis keeps above his mantle and the stories behind it. Anyone's who's fired a gun will be able to relate. And lastly, "State Lines', 'Anywhere but Here', and 'Party in Hell', finish out Aaron Lewis' solo album with basic country themes that will keep you awake.

I rated this album 3 out of 5 stars as I felt that this is a good album but perhaps not the best lyrically. I will always see Aaron Lewis as my hard rocker badass from Staind but I have enjoyed seeing him come into his own with country. The lyrics are decent and the music isn't bad. To the Staind fans who like hard rock, you may want to pass on this one. Or listen online first before buying with a service such as Rdio... this is country. Not a blend. If you like it, buy it by all means.

Thank you for reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, February 21, 2013
K. A Ford (King, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Road (MP3 Music)
How many times can these country artist, i guess he is now, rehash the same tired worn out lyrics. Amazing! Try somebody like Shooter Jennings... he is the real deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great country good ole' boy album!, November 26, 2012
This review is from: The Road (MP3 Music)
Bought last album and played it so much I needed some more. Must have for a long road trip. If you like Aaron's country side you'll love this album!

3.0 out of 5 stars I was truly hoping for more, September 11, 2014
This review is from: The Road (MP3 Music)
I am a big fan of Aaron Lewis and his previous recordings but for some reason I just can't get into this album. Some would say it is because he went from Rock to Country but there are plenty of cross overs that I have enjoyed. In my opinion it seems as if he is trying a little too hard to have the country twang and embed the typical country lyrics into his music. You can be country but still remain true to yourself. Sing using your normal voice and stop pretending you have redneck roots. Lewis is very talented and I am hoping that he has success in the future and goes back to being his true self.

5.0 out of 5 stars Staind is one of my favorite bands because of Aaron Lewis' vocals, November 14, 2014
Joey Milburn (Harrodsburg,ky) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Road (Audio CD)
Staind is one of my favorite bands because of Aaron Lewis' vocals. After seeing Staind Unplugged and learning that Aaron was cutting a country album i ordered it as soon as it came out. He is an amazing artist and his voice is one of a kind. Even though i'm not a country music fan i like this album simply because of "the voice" and his interpretation of the material. If you have some time to kill go on youtube and watch his solo stuff. I highly recommend watching the full staind unplugged set.
This album get's played at least once a week. He writes a good country song. Good stuff !!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Road is just good 'ole Country, June 23, 2014
R. Jarrells (Chillicothe, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Road (Audio CD)
I absolutely love every song on The Road. What I hate is I just found this! I love Aaron's work in Staind, but I have to say I think Aaron's voice really works well in the country genre. His lyrics are heartfelt and honest. This music is real, true and honest. What else do you need or want from good country music?

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Simple Really, June 19, 2014
This review is from: The Road (Audio CD)
If you like Aaron Lewis you will like this album. So take a chance....roll the dice and buy it. It's a good album.

The Road