5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT ONE BY AARON LEWIS!
Published 17 months ago by Lanternattic

3.0 out of 5 stars Felt Like he was trying to hard
Let me start with a caveat...I LOVE me some Aaron Lewis! And it does pain me to only give this album 3 stars, but I just can't give it more.

Published 17 months ago by Amy O'Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT ONE BY AARON LEWIS!, November 13, 2012
This review is from: The Road (Audio CD)
I loved Aaron Lewis first solo album "Town Line" and felt that he was much better in the country music venue than rock. So.........I awaited his second release "The Road" with eager anticipation. Aaron took a while getting this album released, but it was well worth the wait. The Road is awesome throughout, with fantastic story telling combined with heart felt lyrics. He also shows off his vocal abilities and wide range with songs which take him down almost into the bass range and also those that push the tenor envelope....much like my own vocal capabilities and range so I can relate. My Son (also named Aaron!)has been a fan of Stained for quite some time and introduced me to Aaron's "country" music side, and quite frankly.........I'm hooked. This is a SUPER album that is sure to please anyone who loves country music as much as I do. One caviat.....spring for the "deluxe" edition. It includes some awesome live performances that also showcase Aaron's talent! Well worth any extra cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Commercial country with twang, November 13, 2012
------------------------------------------------------------
Aaron Lewis
"The Road"
(Blaster Records/Warner Nashville, 2012)
------------------------------------------------------------
This is commercial country with an admirable amount of twang. A rocker from the alt-metal band, Staind, singer Aaron Lewis "went country" a couple of years ago and signed with producer James Stroud's short-lived Stroudavarious label. He's still working with Stroud on this solid set of chunky neo-trad twang -- it's not quite in Dwight Yoakam or Alan Jackson, but maybe more like Montgomery Gentry or Tracy Lawrence in their rootsier moments. Still, it's a welcome change of pace from the usual high-tech Nashville pop of today. Lewis adds robust vocals and writes almost all the songs... This is commercial country, but with some grit - worth checking out if you're looking for mainstream stuff with a little edge. (DJ Joe Sixpack, Slipcue Guide To Country Music)

3.0 out of 5 stars Felt Like he was trying to hard, November 13, 2012
Amy O'Neill (Blissfield, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Road (MP3 Music)

There were only 2 songs I enjoyed ... songs I have already heard before the album came out. But the majority of the songs seemed like he was trying to hard to drive home he's country. I wanted to scream - "yeah we get it!"

I could hear classic country influences in the melodies and though I liked those, sometimes the lyrics seemed like he was reaching and it just wasn't what I was hoping this album would be.

And the last song - Party in Hell - yeah that should have been forgotten. We get there are drugs and hard living in country, but that's just not something that is glorified (trucks, beer - those are glorified...not hard drugs!)!!... like the lyric about Keith Whitley being in Hell rubbed me the wrong way and I felt offended for Lori Morgan and his family....and really you could leave out the reference to cocaine.

I think Aaron can do good as a country singer with that voice, but STOP TRYING SO HARD ...we get you are a good ol' boy who bleeds Red, White, & Blue and is proud of your Granddaddy's gun. There are a lot of us like that - we are just as proud of it without having to beat others over the head so they `get it' too.

Still a fan, still rooting for you. Wish you could have included your cover of "What Hurts the Most."

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely country... Hardcore Staind fans, be prepared., November 19, 2012
This review is from: The Road (Audio CD)
Aaron Lewis, in my opinion, is one of the reasons of why Staind became famous. His lyrics, his voice, his tone, his emotions, and his storytelling all have made him one of my favorite artists. First with Staind and then with introduction to country in Town Line. Now that The Road has finally been released after such a long wait with record deal problems, it is safe to say that Aaron Lewis went all country on this one--

The Road is very much a country album. In my opinion, Aaron Lewis' EP Town Line was minimal country; almost a blend of what Aaron Lewis wanted to do to enter the market. With some of his success with the song 'Country Boy', Aaron Lewis decided to go all the way. The music is twangy, the music is bold, the music is very much sorrowful. To all the hardcore Staind fans, this is not like the latest self titled album from Staind with hard songs like 'The Bottom' or 'Now'. This really isn't in my opinion like Town Line with the exception of 'Endless Summer' and 'Forever'. This album fits on GAC or on a great local Country station. Much of the lyrics fit with the country lifestyle. However, some of the lyrics are very repetitive in quite a few songs. 'The Road' being one of those songs... the same line is repeated. The variation is mediocre and could have used some more creative lines for these songs. This is my only complaint about the album. I knew the album was country and it most importantly *FITS*. This album is good and the musical outline may help to explain why I feel this way.

Musical Outline:
The Road starts off with the song '75' speaking of Aaron Lewis rolling down in his "bedroom" down the road 75. A basic tale of an artist's trouble with being on the road. Getting tired of the same old, tired of the drive, tired of missing his family. We then continue onto The Road, the same basics as the first, and then off to the melody of 'Endless Summer'. Fans who listened to Town Line will be pleasantly happy with this single as it is not too country... not too twangy, very upbeat, very happy- "Zoe- go and grab the fishing poles." Red, White, and Blue and Lesson's Learned move onto a very American filled lyrical style. I am happy to see that pride displayed. 'Forever' is a somber song in which Aaron Lewis describes the trouble filled life style of being on the road and what could ultimately be interpreted as speaking of his wife. My personal favorite, "Granddaddy's Gun' is heart filled and speaks of an old 12 gauge that Aaron Lewis keeps above his mantle and the stories behind it. Anyone's who's fired a gun will be able to relate. And lastly, "State Lines', 'Anywhere but Here', and 'Party in Hell', finish out Aaron Lewis' solo album with basic country themes that will keep you awake.

I rated this album 3 out of 5 stars as I felt that this is a good album but perhaps not the best lyrically. I will always see Aaron Lewis as my hard rocker badass from Staind but I have enjoyed seeing him come into his own with country. The lyrics are decent and the music isn't bad. To the Staind fans who like hard rock, you may want to pass on this one. Or listen online first before buying with a service such as Rdio... this is country. Not a blend. If you like it, buy it by all means.

Thank you for reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, February 21, 2013
K. A Ford (King, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Road (MP3 Music)
How many times can these country artist, i guess he is now, rehash the same tired worn out lyrics. Amazing! Try somebody like Shooter Jennings... he is the real deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great country good ole' boy album!, November 26, 2012
This review is from: The Road (MP3 Music)
Bought last album and played it so much I needed some more. Must have for a long road trip. If you like Aaron's country side you'll love this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars aaron lewis, April 12, 2014
This review is from: The Road (Audio CD)
The master behind music artists nobody has written better then whats coming from the heart the songs has changed something aboit each and every one of us take the time to listen to this album spread the word to friends and family you wont regret it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Improvement from The Town EP, April 4, 2014
JC (La Plata, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Road (MP3 Music)
He's a musician! A Damn Good Musician!! Love him in Staid. Really impressed me a few years ago in tour with Shinedown. The sincerity and musicianship were great. I'm pretty sure my daughter will be dancing to Zoe Jane when she marries.

His passion in this album and the view into his life as a musician and the trials he has endured when he'd rather be home are articulated very well. You feel the passion in his love of his daughters, wife, friends and family played to wonderfully constructed melodies.

A great driving CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, March 28, 2014
This review is from: The Road (MP3 Music)
Absolutely love this album. I hope he continues to put out thus caliber of music. Oh and if you ever get the chance for a live show don't pass it up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, March 10, 2014
This review is from: The Road (MP3 Music)
Not too bad. Really like lessons learned song. Has a hit to the heart of truth to it. Granddaddy's gun is the song i was looking for.

ARRAY(0xd9c762ac)