4.0 out of 5 stars Consider the Road Less Traveled
Published on July 10, 2010 by Nyle Kardatzke

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
it got here in OK timing but I don't agree that it was in good condition which is what was in the description. It is readable so I'll keep it
Published 7 months ago by R. Karlow

4.0 out of 5 stars Consider the Road Less Traveled, July 10, 2010
This review is from: The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth (Paperback)
The Road Less Traveled was a life saver for my wife and me nearly 20 years ago when we were going through a painful life transition: moving to a new city with kids, changing jobs, leaving friends behind, and facing great challenges in our new city. The book helped us navigate those difficult waters. Perhaps one needs to be in a state of change for the book to be most useful.

One of the essential points in the book is that life is indeed filled with difficulties. We make our lives painful and disappointing if we accept the modern delusion that life should be easy, painless, and always happy. The Road Less Traveled helps the reader to embrace real life and a more mature life than would otherwise be possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading for all humans, January 25, 2011
Truly one of the most compelling books I've ever read. Whether you are religious or not, Christian or not, a seeker, in therapy, or just working through the hassles ans pitfalls of life, this book is excellent guidance. I literally recommend everyone I know toward reading this. Does not easily categorize into self help nor religious studies, but a simple guidebook for living an authentic existence in a deep, meaningful way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ditto that this should be required reading for all humans, December 28, 2013
Diane Stranz (ARLINGTON, TX, US) - See all my reviews
I have read this book three times during my 50 years on this planet, each time gaining new insights. The maturity gained with age absolutely improves the lessons learned from reading this book. The first time I read it -- in my late 20's -- I thought it was a good read filled with solid wisdom, but nothing 'that' special. It wasn't until the second time I read it (in my mid 30's and in the midst of much upheaval in my personal life) that I finally got it how special this book is, and I proceeded to read everything else by Dr. Peck that I could get my hands on. Then when I read it for the third time in my mid 40's I experienced several new 'aha' moments with respect to several passages I SWEAR I had never read before -- though, of course, I had read them twice before. Clearly I had not yet experienced enough in life for the truth of those passages to click for me as they finally did.

Now I am 50, and I am sure that at some point in the next few years I will read this again -- and, no doubt, again experience 'aha' moments from passage which did not fully register earlier in life. Dr. Peck's wisdom and insight is JUST THAT DEEP and on point. If you are over the age of 30, please gift yourself the gift of reading this book. If you are under the age of 30, I'd wait a few years: I DO believe that a certain amount of life experience is required to appreciate Dr. Peck's insights -- and, of course, he did not write this book until he himself was of a mature age (I don't think he was younger than 48, though I don't recall his age exactly).

UPDATE: Dr. Peck was 42 when The Road Less Traveled was published, so a little younger than I thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book--a Road to a Healthy Mind, July 18, 2013
Debra Sandstrom (Pearland, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I began reading this book after I learned my dad had a personal copy. It has changed my life so much for the better I have bought it for my children and for close friends. You can read it straight through or even skip around. Peck's approach is firm but gentle. His topics can be applied to many facets of life--personal attitude towards yourself, attitudes toward others, attitudes of others, at home and in the work place. After using this book for the past 20 years, I find that I have come to a place in my life where I have peace of mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life is Difficult, January 20, 2012
One of the best books I have ever read pertaining to understanding the problems we have to deal with in life. There are many self help books but this book and "The Search for Serenity" by Lewis F. Presnall are in a class all their own. If you are going through problems and can't seem to get a handle on them, do yourself a favor and read these books.

Tom Lowe
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to read in pieces, February 10, 2014
Dagny6 (Glen Allen) - See all my reviews
This book is good for any person in the mental health field. Offers a holistic approach to healing. When I was in that field, I liked to pick it up and just read pieces of it at a time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read For Anyone Interested In Getting The Most Out of Life, July 22, 2014
The best review I can give to "The Road Less Traveled" is "I have read it over a dozen times."

Each time I read it there was a deeper level of understanding and each time I saw things that I did not see before which brings me to another point of the book. As humans we often only see the things we want to see and are comfortable with seeing. In some circles they call this phenomenon denial. It also is an essential and necessary aspect of our humanity. It serves a purpose! In its functional capacity it makes life gentler, kinder and allows us to integrate challenging realities into our psyche when we are ready and as we are ready. In its dysfunctional capacity it allows us to deny realities that need our immediate attention thereby allowing time for that reality to become more challenging.

The hard part for us humans is knowing whether we are utilizing this characteristic in its functional or dysfunctional capacity especially since by definition when we are using it in a dysfunctional way we will deny it. This characteristic we have is one of the reasons why most of us are much more productive when we operate as interdependent beings. It is also one of the reason why community is important to humans because there are things we can do together that we cannot do alone.

I personally classify this book as a book of wisdom. We live in a wonderful time of technological marvels however at my core and our core, we are all beings in need of, in search of and will always be destined for wisdom. It is the reason parents tell stories to children, the reason why grandparents tell stories to children, why clergy give sermons, why sport coaches give pep talks, why commanding officers talk with their soldiers, why sales managers talk with their sale people, in each and every situation the common thread is people in life seeking wisdom. Wisdom is what teaches us to hold on just one second longer. Wisdom is what teaches us to let go. Without wisdom life becomes intolerable.

In this the 21st Century, the information age how many of us can truly say we have enough wisdom or that we are surrounded by wisdom or that we have a constant free-flowing source of wisdom. How many of us need just that. This book is a source of wisdom!

For those seeking input into the question of whether to seek therapy, how does therapy work, what can I expect from therapy and is therapy for me The Road Less Traveled is an invaluable resource. Scott Peck was a therapist and when you read his book this comes across however not in a scholarly way but more so in the way of maybe the best story you ever heard from a grandparent or an uncle or an aunt. One of those stories that captivates the psyche, sparks the imagination makes us wonder.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars, March 30, 2014
Definitely five stars. One of the best books I have ever read! It has really impacted my understanding of myself and others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, March 10, 2014
This is an awesome thought provoking book. The author has had so much experience so his explanations of personalities and human behavior are from experience working with clients. If you get this book, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars HEALING and self-actualization!, November 15, 2014
Angola Soul (Houston, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This may be the greatest book ever written. Why? Because it nurtures the soul and resonates days, months, and years later! It is also the first time that I have ever found a satisfactory definition for the term "love". Books and Hollywood have failed, miserably, at defining love!

Dr. Peck (now deceased) was a Psychiatrist, who thoughtfully weaves his personal experience in counseling patients along with his view of the world into this remarkable book, which makes for a very stimulating and useful read.

It is a book about nurturing one's own or another's spiritual and emotional GROWTH. A tool for healing and self-actualization!

I have gifted several copies to my family and friends over the years.

Used & New from: $2.46