WWE: The Rock: The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment
Price:$5.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews (3 star)show all reviews
on December 8, 2012
Format: DVD
I recently bought this 3 disc DVD set. The Rock is agreat wrestler & has had many classic matches. This DVD set does offer some of those matches. You get 19 matches + bonus extras with this. It's got some entertainment value to it. It's a overall cool set. Disc 1 starts off with a 1997 match against HHH (WWE(f) Intercontinental Championship match. And works it's way through some matches from '98 into '99. The last match on disc 1 is The Rock vs Stone Cold for the WWE(f) Championship belt. Disc 2 starts off with a steel cage match between Rock & HHH. And ends with a Undisputed Championship match against. Chris Jericho. Disc 3 starts off with Wrestlemania X8's match between The Rock & Hulk Hogan. And end with a Wrestlmania XIX match against Stone Cold. Don't get me wrong it's worth getting, especially for under $10.00. I paid $4.00....The only real gripe I have with this DVD set is it felt in some way a bit repetetive. The Rock wrestles HHH 4 times,Mankind 3 times + once tag teaming with Mankind vs Undertaker & Big Show. Not to say that those matches were/are bad. But it just kinda makes it feel like a bit of the same. I would recommend this DVD set to any Rock,WWF,WWE,WCW fan.
on July 5, 2008
Format: DVD
Okay I am a rock Fan i admit he is/was the most electrifying man wwe has seen in a while. Here is my issue it is apparent that WWE was lookin to suck the juice from the fact he was at the hall of fame and put out a dvd. This dvd was below wwe standards I mean dam no commentary at all. you got commentary for dam near all the other dvds and none for this one. I am sure not everyone has a bitter taste in their mouth because rock left. Then as someone else said match selection was subpar as was promo selection. If this was a 4 disc dvd with one dedicated to promos and the rest had interviews or commentary from other wrestler it could have got the good old 5 star. Umm wwe See the undertaker dvd, stone cold, even triple h dvds and remeber how it used to be.
Format: DVD
Ok - so i'm a huge Rock fan. BUT, wouldn't it be smart to actually interview the man for his own DVD???
Not once do they sit down with The Great One. The narrator just goes through his career from start to finish... discussing rivalries and battles etc...

It's all story.. We never hear what he was thinking about his matches.. How he got along with people backstage.. Problems he had on the road.. Nothin!!

So, it's good cause it has a tonne of his matches, but also kind of annoying because you never get his opinion on anything.. (Compared to the Triple H - King of Kings or The Legacy of Stone Cold DVD where they talk about what they went through at certain stages).

Great backstage segments - excellent for a laugh..
on March 30, 2011
Format: DVD
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was the most electrifying man in sports entertainment (and these days claims "ALL of entertainment") and you can watch many of his best matches and most memorable interviews and one-liners in this three-disc set that was released in 2008. With his recent return to the WWE, this is a great time for a refresher course in the history of The Rock.

This is one of those WWE sets where story is told in between matches instead of altogether in one documentary that you can sit and watch at once. What I find difficult about this is that people don't always have time to sit and watch this set for NINE hours in order to see the entire story. I much prefer the sets where you can watch the story all at once and then work on the matches over time. Plus there is an impartial narrator piecing the story together with soundbites from The Rock and NO interviews with the man himself talking about his past and how it felt at the time besides being the character.

The Rock wasn't always The Rock though, he started out as Rocky, paying tribute to his family lineage in wrestling from his grandfather, Rocky Maivia and his father, Rocky Johnson. He started out as a good guy, but didn't really have a concrete identity and fans turned on his one-dimensional nature. Within months people began to hate him and that's where The Rock was truly born. He took on the mic, spoke in third person, and started inventing catch phrases. He joined a stable, the Nation of Domination where he took over and kicked the leader out and insisted people call him "ruler". He became popular and eventually got out of the Nation of Domination. People began to love him and even after his heel turn becoming the Corporate Champion, people couldn't resist cheering for The Rock.

There was an epic extended feud with Mankind (with SEVERAL matches included in this set), icon vs icon against Stone Cold Steve Austin, feuds with Triple H on and off, one of my favorite storylines -- the Rock `N Sock connection, the infamous moment of facing Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania, and tons of other rivalries, but what is undeniable is The Rock's connection to the fans. He arches an eyebrow and they go nuts. He sticks his nose in the air and the arena goes silent so he can announce the name of the city he has FINALLY come back to. We can't get enough of what The Rock is cookin' and any silence over a few seconds prompts chanting of the Great One's name. He has tons of nicknames -- The Rock, The Great One, The People's Champion, The most Electrifiying Man in all of (Sports) Entertainment.

Few WWE Superstars have been able to exercise his level of complete captivation over his audience. His commitment and creativity and addictive one-liners are the reason he was able to become so popular and then bridge over into the film industry. He has been in several movies, some bad, some good enough, and one horrible film with him wearing a fairy costume that I still haven't been able to wipe completely from my memory. Sure, some fans were upset feeling like he deserted the WWE, but I haven't seen anyone who isn't thrilled to have him back to host this year's WrestleMania, complete with digs against the current most popular WWE Superstar, John Cena.

Matches in this set include:

Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs Rocky Maivia - WWE Intercontinental Championship Match - RAW 1997
Owen Hart vs The Rock - WWE Intercontinental Championship Match - RAW 1998
Triple H vs The Rock - King of the Ring Quarterfinal Match - RAW 1998
Mankind vs The Rock - WWE Championship Match Final Round - Survivor Series 1998
Mankind vs The Rock - Last Man Standing Match for WWE Championship - St. Valentine's Day Massacre 1999
Mankind vs The Rock - Ladder Match for WWE Championship - RAW 1999
Stone Cold Steve Austin vs The Rock - WWE Championship Match - Wrestlemania XV 1999
The Rock vs Triple H - Steel Cage Match - RAW 1999
The Rock & Mankind vs Undertaker & Big Show - WWE Tag Team Championship Match - RAW 1999
The Rock vs Kane - No Holds Barred Match - Smackdown 1999
Triple H vs The Rock - WWE Championship Match - Backlash 2000
The Rock vs Shane McMahon - Steel Cage Match for WWE Championship - RAW 2000
Kurt Angle vs The Rock - WWE Championship Match - No Way Out 2001
Booker T vs The Rock - WWE Championship Match - Summerslam 2001
Chris Jericho vs The Rock - WWE Undisputed Championship Match - Royal Rumble 2002
The Rock vs Hollywood Hulk Hogan - Wrestlemania X8 2002
Kurt Angle vs Undertaker vs The Rock - Triple Threat Match for WWE Undisputed Championship - Vengeance 2002
The Rock vs Eddie Guerrero - RAW 2002
Stone Cold Steve Austin vs The Rock - Wrestlemania XIX 2003

As time goes on, the matches get better and better, especially those with Mankind, Triple H, and Stone Cold Steve Austin. The Hogan match is epic and was an instant classic when it occurred as the most iconic wrestler ever met the most electrifying wrestler ever and both men gave each other respect afterward in a cool way. The give and take and back and forth is one of the most entertaining matches I've seen.

Extras:

16 of The Rock's best interview segments are featured here including "Billy's prayer to God", "The Big Slow", "My Name is Kane", "Doughnuts", "Hermie", "Thomas Jefferson Sucka", "The People's Strudel", "Great Balls of Fire", "Copacabana", "The Charleston", "The Superhero", "Miami Dolphins", and more! The segment of one-liners is nine minutes long (and can be previewed on Youtube since I shared it on the Haunted Flower Facebook page recently). Both comedy segments are amazingly entertaining and more fun than most of his matches if I'm being perfectly honest.
VINE VOICEon February 15, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I ordered this DVD set with a lot of high hopes. The Rock is one of my favorite superstars of all time, and one of the major reasons why I got back into wrestling in the late 90's. Overall, I have to say I'm not that impressed by what we are given here.

I won't bother going into detail on the matches since there are dozens of other reviews that can tell you all about them. I will, however, complain about the match choice. There's no less than 4 Rock vs. HHH matches on this disc, and the Rock n Sock Connection match they chose was a one-sided affair where UT leaves and it's a handicap match. I know you're a little more limited in terms of Rock n Sock matches, but that was the best you could find?

The Rock's early career is done rather piecemeal. There is little mention of his time in the Nation of Domination, and only a tiny bit of time dedicated to his reign as the Corporate Champion. There is a lot of stuff from his later career, post 2000. I would much rather have had more time dedicated to the early and middle sections of his career where he was still coming up through the ranks.

Finally, and this is the biggest problem with the DVD set - The Rock doesn't speak. It's not only him speaking about his own career, like telling his own story, but it's also a problem that the WWE decided not to show a lot of his classic promos from the time. They mention on the discs that the Rock's birthday party (the one thrown by Mankind) was the highest rated TV segment in all of RAW history, and yet they only talk about it and show stills. They show little cuts of more important promos in the documentary part, but never the whole thing. Some of them are featured on the extras segment of disc three, but even there, only about eight of the twenty are pre-2000. There are so many important, classic moments that are missing from this set that it's truly a shame.

The wrestling's pretty good, the Rock is the Rock, but this collection lacks that truly special stuff that it needs to be more than average.
on December 23, 2012
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Not a bad dvd, but alot was missing here. I didn't like the voiceover recap before each match. I prefer hearing from the wrestlers not a promo-type hype.
on August 17, 2008
The Rock: The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment

Overall this is a pretty good buy for any wrestling fan, it includes most of the Rocks most famous and most exciting matches (The Kurt Angle matches are a must). I gave this 3 stars because of all the WWF logo cover ups, I mean seriously why on earth the World Wildlife Foundation thinks it's necessary for the WWE to blur everything out is beyond me, at times it's ridiculous..I mean covering up the logo on the belt? Arghhhh...they really should be some sort of warning, because it could ruin alot of peoples viewing.
OK.

First of all, I was the biggest Rock fan imaginable. To me he brought everything that the WWE needed during the Monday night wars and the Attitude era. He managed to bridge athleticism and entertainment in subtle ways, and helped to elevate some of the most memorable names: Owen Hart, HHH, Steve Austin, Booker T, etc.

So...if I'm such a fan, how could I dare give this anything lower than a 5?

I'll tell you why. It's because this DVD set, being 3 DVDs, is severely disappointing. It's almost like WWE did the bare minimum they could rather than really showcase this man and his many years in the company. Geez, where do I begin...

1: The man's promos are scarce. Where are his various promos and exchanges with Farooq, like when Rock gave him the portrait? Where's the Nation of Domination's parody of DX? Where's the faux funeral for Stone Cold? Where's the "die die die" promo? Where's the promo he cut on Paul Wight (Big Show) when he first debuted? "Know Your Role Michael Cole"? The Rock's interaction with the first Diva Search contestants? The Thanksgiving where we learned about the Rock's love of pie (and the fact that Michael Cole never had any)? The infamous Trish kiss? His interaction with Taijiri (sick freak)? The Stephanie McMahon birthday jingle? Rock/Austin singing together? Rock's promo on Brock Lesnar? "Sing along with the Rock"? The legendary Rock concert of 2003 "...when the Lakers beat the Kings in May~!" None of these are here, and it really pisses me off.

2: The matches are the bare basics. Where's the Undisputed Championship match with him, Austin and Jericho? Where's his single matches with Taker? Why only two matches with Austin (but yet 4 matches with HHH)? Where's his match with Ric Flair? Chris Benoit (need I even ask...)? What about Rock, Austin and the Hardyz vs. DX? The Brahma Bullrope matches (ok, they might have been some crap, but I still wanted to see them!!)? Rock vs. Lesnar? Why didn't they show the WHOLE "I Quit" match with Mankind, including the controversial ending?? Ugh, I could go on and on.

3: None of the matches show Rock losing, even though he lost some of his greatest matches.

4: Way too much blurring of the "F" in the old WWF. I mean, it's not like they're profiting off of the logo anymore, is it really necessary to have so much blurring? I mean all the blur spots really do detract from what you see.

5: Why was this not released on Blu-ray in remastered HD quality like Wrestlemania 24?

6: Not published in widescreen. Come on Vince, give me a break. We're in 2008; get with the times please.

7: The whole DVD is organized as though it were trying to tell someone 50 years from now what "The Rock" was about. I don't agree with that approach - 1, because it wasn't done very well with all of the stuff missing that I mentioned above, and 2, this should cater to fans or former fans. That means it should be as thorough as it can be, not barebones.

Bottom line - there's a lot missing, and as a result, I can't justify giving this any more than 3 stars.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 10, 2008
Format: DVD
Absolutely nothing on this DVD set. The glaring omission of commentary from The Rock himself diminishes the quality of the final product with the narration provided being subpar at best.

In terms of match selection, the matches were for the most part good selections. Some of my personal favorites did not make the DVD, and even arguably his best matches were left out. The promos included as extras were also very hit or miss. Some of his best were included, but at the same time some of my personal favorites were also left out.

On the whole, I would recommend this to any WWE fan, but be aware this is not the best release the company has made this year.
on September 30, 2014
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
There was a little wear on the product I thought I ordered a new movie. But overall the discs worked excellent!