5.0 out of 5 stars For the Stones Collector
Published 15 months ago by Mike in Elmhurst

Published 13 months ago by Samuel B. King

5.0 out of 5 stars For the Stones Collector, April 3, 2013
I have now watched this four times on HBO and I intend to buy this on either DVD or BluRay or both. There are interviews and footage I have never seen and I have just about everything collectible where the Rolling Stones are concerned. For me, the highlight of this documentary is the alternate alternate version of Jumpin Jack Flash, which I have never seen anywhere and it beats everything else and I wish I could get clear, clean copies of every video of this classic Stones "comeback" single with Brian Jones. (Of course, the Holy Grail of The Stones performing JJF would be The NME Pollwinners concert of The Stones surprise appearance in 1968.) Surprisingly, the period with Brian Jones is handled objectively and, especially with comments by Mick, Keith and Charlie, with much sensitivity. Of course, there is the "Exile in France" period resulting in Exile on Main Street and the 1972 tour and frank talk about Keith's drug problems and so much more. Bill Wyman sounds like a wizened, old man in this doc and he has some excellent remembrances. As does Charlie and Mick Taylor. Well, anyway, I'll probably hit HBO On Demand and watch this again. And again. I'm a fan, of course, but this is one excellent documentary for the 50th Anniversary of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tantalizing but peculiar and incomplete look at the Rolling Stones, April 22, 2013
'Crossfire Hurricane' is a tantalizing but peculiar and incomplete look at the Rolling Stones. It's audio interview of the Stones' remembrances of their early days placed over some fairly compelling, illustrative footage. Most notably, we're told that "no cameras were allowed" (when recording the interviews). One can't help think that seeing the rockers up close - Jagger's now famous wrinkles, Richards' ravaged features - would have stolen more than a few measures of energy from the tales of their sixties and early seventies heyday. Jagger is as sharp a business mind as they come and Keith - to the shock of all - remembers everything (as his brilliant biography attests to). So, those restrictions come across as a calculated decision to me. Can't say I blame them, but it gives a production a distant, paint-by-numbers feel at times.

The production pores over their early 60s meet-up through Ronnie Wood's 1975 entry into the band. That means we get a deep dive through that period, through first brushes with stardom and fan hysteria, Brian Jones' dismissal/departure (a particular high point of the film), Mick Taylor's entry and subsequent taking of leave (love Keith calling Taylor a 'virtuoso') and then Wood's arrival. The film doesn't track too closely to albums (think about how obsessively similar Beatles productions do), so I'll best describe things by saying that it there's a fairly constant 'touch' of music up through about Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street...with 'Exile' getting more attention than anything else due to the debauchery of the recording sessions in France.

Then, suddenly, it's the 'Some Girls' tour and - even more suddenly - there's a coda of the now-aged band belting out 'All Down the Line.' All well and good for the focus on the best parts, but doesn't this editing play right into the hands of those who say (and there's quite a few that make this claim) that the band's done nothing relevant since 'Some Girls'?

Still, this movie is catnip for any Stones fan. My favorite part of the film: footage of the young Jagger and Richards offstage at work. Encouraged by their label to write their own songs (no doubt by the success of Lennon and McCartney, whose brilliance as songwriters set the music world on its ear) they sit together grinding out an early effort, the sweat of creativity at work. It's nothing memorable, but those humble beginnings sowed the seeds of Satisfaction, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man, Sympathy for the Devil, It's Only Rock 'n Roll and hundreds of other pieces of creative genius that have become pillars of rock and roll songwriting.

2.0 out of 5 stars The stones deserve better - something like the Beatles Anthology, May 25, 2013
This review is from: The Rolling Stones: Crossfire Hurricane [Blu-Ray] (Blu-ray)
This is a good program, as far as it goes. But - one short DVD for the STONES??!!?? They require something more comprehensive, like the Beatles Anthology. Here's just a sample of what should have been explored: 1. their background in the British Blues scene. A stones history with no mention of Alexis Korner??!! 2. Background on Mick Taylor. No discussion of his playing with the Gods and John Mayall. 3. Again, background on Ron Wood and the Faces. 4. A huge problem is that the film ends with the beginning of the eighties. There is a whole other history which was not explored. By the way, contributions by Bobby Keys and other sidemen were ignored.

My basic complaint is the film was heavy on showbiz and scandal at the expense of the discussion of the music. For example, Keith's use of open G tuning gained from Ry Cooder. Their meeting with blues heroes would also have been a nice touch (they DID record at Chess in the '60s). Also, a film about the Stones with NO mention of Chuck Berry? Come on!! (pun intended)!! I am coming at this film from the perspective of a musician. People who want a thorough review of the stones as "players" will just have to wait for another film. For those of you who want to see pictures of Mick's bare behind or Keith stoned out of his gourd, though, I guess this is the place to be. I'm sorry, but that's the way I see it.

3.0 out of 5 stars LOVE The Stones - not so much this film, April 16, 2013
I could not WAIT for this to show on HBO! While it was somewhat interesting, I came away from it not knowing too much more about these guys than I did going in. There are some great clips here and there - always good, but when the show was over, I was left wanting more: more detail and more of who these people are.

I will use the example of the other big relatively recent musician documentary, the one Martin Scorcese did about George Harrison. A HUGE Harrison fan, I went in knowing a great deal and left having an even more well-rounded, fuller picture of who George was and how he created. As enjoyable as the clips and music in Crossfire Hurricane, this doc did little to do the same for the Rolling Stones. Nice box shot of Mick though.

The part surrounding Brian Jones' death was appreciated and illuminating, but it still felt incomplete.

These guys are bigger than life to a whole lot of us, but this film felt more like a bad Bob Dylan bio - and nothing was revealed.

Some reviewers have complained about the usage of audio-only narration and the wall that such a device puts between speaker and viewer/listener. I disagree. The Stones built that wall themselves with the audio remarks they chose to include in the film. Watch "The Filth and The Fury" about the Sex Pistols," one of the BEST music docs of all time. They too chose not to be photographed with their narration. It made perfect sense because the band only lasted a short time and the subject of the doc was THAT time, unlike the Stones who are still out there doing it. The Pistols seemed much more authentic and unedited in expressing themselves and it gave me a more complete picture of them individually and them together as a band. It also gave me a new appreciation for them. Lydon's frustration and grief over Sid's demise is truly palpable. The Stones offered nothing even close in Crossfire, even when talking about Brian's death. It all felt very rehearsed and very detached. You don't want to show yourself? Fine, then don't make a documentary about yourself!

If you want to get a better insight into The Stones, go back and watch the Maysles' Gimme Shelter.

The good news is that this film sent me back to the vinyl to listen to some Stones music I had not listened to in a long time; you know, the stuff dripping in emotion and power. I went back to December's Children... and Flowers and Between the Buttons and the Rolling Stones Now and Out of Our Heads and 12x5 and Beggars Banquet and of course, Aftermath. I have bought a lot of Stones cd compilations, but hadn't listened to lots of those albums beginning to end in years. The movie made me want to go back and re-discover all of that great music - which is, after all, why we still care after 50 years!

3.0 out of 5 stars No 25 X 5....., May 24, 2013
Avalon Don "Avalon Don" (Huntington Beach, California United States) - See all my reviews
The definitive story about the Rolling Stones ends on the "Some Girls" songs showing how the guys made it to mainstream popularity. I find that strange since the band played another thirty plus years. As a documentary too much time is spent on out of control audiences and the Stones being bad boys with the law and drugs. What about the music? The positives are excellent, vintage clips throughout and the band members interviews. Keith Richards as usual is funny, slurred voice and all. Some other good stuff is in detail: Brian Jones death/Hyde Park concert; Altamont; And why all the personnel changes. (Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, Ronnie Wood). Ian Stewart isn't mentioned which is a major blunder if were talking Rolling Stones. The bonus section is really good, showing lots of complete songs from the mid-1960s. As a story it is no "25 X 5 The Continuing Adventures Of The Rolling Stones" in any shape or form. (That film covers the very beginning by far better; the fallout of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards; Rock Hall of Fame induction; their wives; Blues influences of Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf in film; Clips with the Beatles, other groups and much more thru 1989). So in summary "Crossfire Hurricane" has its moments, but I wouldn't tag this DVD as the definitive story. Maybe "Prime Years" or "1963 to 1978". I guess another DVD will be in the making for the 2nd half. If any fans out there own "25 X 5", my advice is hold on to it. "Crossfire Hurricane" is good, not great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bluray review:Stones fans will want this and - at a great price - it's enjoyable for any rock music fan., June 2, 2013
Okay, I'll admit up front that I really like the Rolling Stones but they aren't my favorite band and I don't consider myself a "Stonehead" (if that's a real term. But I do love music documentaries, expecially when they are well done, and I enjoyed watching this film on Bluray. There are about 20 others reviews here before this posting and some are by diehard Stones fans so, if you are one of those, you might be best guided by them. But one reviewer tried to compare this 2 hour+ film with the nine-hour one on the Beatles, which is unfair. We know that the Stones authorized this so it's factual and with lots of bonus features - 9 performances and an interview with the director it's truly a bargain at the list price that Eagle Rock placed on it. This certainly updates earlier Stones documentaries like "25x5" from 1990.

There will be real consensus on if this is the best Stones DVD but, as a casual listener for nearly 50 years, I found it entertaining and insightful.

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.
Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic documentary for all - even non Stones fans, March 22, 2013
Documentary has fantastic footage from the early sixties possibly before, and it is superbly put together with one of the best editing jobs I have ever seen in any genre. Takes you right back to the birth of a legendary band, and shows some warts so is not a total white wash. Some of the old interviews are priceless. A must watch. It got 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, which it deserved.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not as advertised, July 3, 2013
M. Baptiste (Daly City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
First off, this film is a full 40 minutes shorter than its 147 minute advertised running time. It is actually about 107 minutes long.

Second, the first half hour or so is just performance clips, cut together with offstage clips and some band commentary, but does little to deepen anyone's knowledge of the Stones.

Third, despite being part of the celebration of 50 years of the Stones, the documentary ends around 1980-81, leaving out the last 30+ years of the Stones'
history.

Other than that, this is an entertaining and informative film.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST HAVE FOR STONES FANS!!!!!, May 14, 2013
With the risk of sounding obsessed, I have watched this documentary over 70X!!!! I DVR'd it when HBO first showed it, and I watch it over and over whenever I have free time. This documentary should be nominated for awards with the way Bret Morgan has brilliantly put this masterpiece together. He chronicles the Stones from the beginning with great footage with Brian all the way until when Woody joins the group. He does a wonderful job covering the problems with Brian, Altamont, the Stones' exile to France and so much more. The music is so perfect that was chosen for each part of this documentary. Lots of focus on the Exile to Main Street days with Mick Taylor, when I think the band was at it's best!
Amazon is offering this excellent DVD for only $9.99!!! Trust me if you are a Stones fan or know someone who is, this is a must have for their collection!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Stones Documentary Ever!!!, March 17, 2013
I loved this documentary!! i love the fact the interviewer recorded their voices even though the Stones refused to be on camera - great touch of having their own words be the voiceover. I've watched plenty of documentaries of The Stones and this particular one had footage i had never seen and it was really well done. HBO i feel has some of the best documentaries and they did not disappoint. A must-see for any Stones fan!

The Rolling Stones: Crossfire Hurricane [Blu-Ray]
The Rolling Stones: Crossfire Hurricane [Blu-Ray] by Brett Morgen (Blu-ray - 2013)
$19.98 $13.88