5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely in every way.
Very sweet, very romantic... you can't beat the price.
Published 6 months ago by verlynda

2.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Victorians. Wow.
I purchased this book on a whim. I thought the Victorian eroticism would give me a giggle or two, man was I wrong.

This book is actually 2 stories.

The first is The Romance of Violette.

Published on January 8, 2012 by The Round Reader

2.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Victorians. Wow., January 8, 2012
The Round Reader (Long Beach, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Romance of Violette (Kindle Edition)

This book is actually 2 stories.

The first is The Romance of Violette.

The story starts off with the author letting his readers know that he's inhabited the world for some thousands of years and is now a resident of the planet Mars. This is vitally important because... it's not. I guess he just wants to make sure everyone knows he's a little off, because Mars is never mentioned again.

The characters are pretty dull. Violette isn't much more than a puppet to the man (Christian) she's fallen in love with. Did I mention she fell in love with him in, like, half a day? Oh, and she's only 15 and seeking refuge from the man she works for who wants to get in her bloomers.

So Christian tells Violette that women and men are equal, only they're not because men rule the world and a woman can either bow to men's rules or be a "woman of nature" which, I guess, means these women no longer care about these rules of decency and, instead, only care about Christian's rules, because Violette follows those whether she seems to like them or not.

The reader soon discovers that there is someone else in love with young Violette- A Countess! A man-hating Countess! Anyway, Christian and the Countess draw up a contract saying that Violette is primarily his property (yes, the word property is used) but Man-Hating Countess can use her whenever she wants as long as Christian is around to ogle the scene.

Anyway, Violette wants to be an actress. There's not much going on with that story arch and the plot gets confusing and muddled part way through. The story ends rather bluntly and with little emotion.

There's also an odd use of a slur against black women used about 3/4 of the way through.

On to the next story!

Sweet Seventeen: the True Story of a Daughter's Awful Whipping and its Delightful if Direful Consequence.

This short little story is all about incest.

A man gets a stirring in his tackle for his own daughter and when she refuses him, he spanks her until she bleeds and they do it anyway. I guess there's more of a plot to this story, even if that plot comes in the last few pages, following a long middle of just... nastiness (in my humble opinion).

Again, the characters are pretty cardboard. Oliver (the father) is a horny old man who likes to drink, Fanny (the daughter) is pretty and always has a look of innocence, and Mrs. Sandcross (I don't even remember if she had a first name) is naive when it comes to her husband, and doting when it comes to her daughter.

Really, the only reason these stories are getting two stars is because they left me utterly flabbergasted. Yeah, I wanted to know what was going to happen, but that's only because of the crazy things that were going on. They were stories of unchecked lust mixed with a thick smattering of women are property who must obey, lesbians exist but are just angry women who want penises, incest, and "who cares if she's underage?!"

Also... This is a classic?! My mind is blown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely in every way., July 5, 2014
verlynda (memphis, Tunisia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Romance of Violette (Kindle Edition)
Very sweet, very romantic... you can't beat the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully naughty, May 9, 2014
This review is from: The Romance of Violette (Kindle Edition)
Incest, I suppose, is the ultimate taboo. This Victorian romance handles it without the soul-shattering and -searching that goes with incest in the real world. In other words, it's pure fantasy and not to be taken in any way seriously. Nowadays it should come with a disclaimer about not trying this at home. With suspension of disbelief firmly in place, however, it is delightfully naughty, at least for the first half of the book. What disappointed me was that the eroticism almost vanishes for the second half of the book. That said, the tale includes enough dramatic tension that you'll probably finish the book. I'm going to read it again in a few years when I've forgotten what it's about.

3.0 out of 5 stars Every Man's Dream, January 9, 2014
Mr Frank (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Romance of Violette (Kindle Edition)
A beautiful young girl knocks on your door and asks if she can stay the night. Would you kick her out? It's fairly short; I can't believe anyone would be so naive. But its well written, and not insulting to your sense of propriety.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlie, November 19, 2013
Charlie Vogel (Omaha, Nebraska United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Romance of Violette (Kindle Edition)
It was great reading. I love the old classics and to read the style of the author's writing was remarkable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely Done, November 30, 2012
This review is from: The Romance of Violette (Kindle Edition)
One of the better stories from this genre that I have come across. Well written, period correct. Didn't want to put it down.

The Romance of Violette